Small aircraft crashworthiness

There is a practical limit to building a structure that will cover higher velocity events, with an aircraft. In flight fire is a serious event, requiring quick response and getting out after an invert or damaged structure.

Some great fire risk mitigation posts followed your initiator post. I have been trying to find some statistics of GA about the relative risk or being killed by a fire while flying, a crash impact, a post crash fire. Do you know any papers or links that save me dragging through crash statistics? The level of risk will determine how much effort and additional weight each risk justifies.

I have flown in a Jabiru (I was passenger) with a lightly restrained extra Jerry-can of fuel in the back to a field with no refueling capacity (sort of thing that happens regularly I would imagine). At the time I wasn't concerned too much (wasn't my responsibility), but now I would be. A free flying Jerry can to the back of the head, is probably a similar risk to a header tank splitting above the engine, or some other 'exposed' locations that long range tanks are fitted. Being broken up on crashing is one thing, being subsequently burned alive reaches a new fear level. Just musing about risks we ignore at the time because we are 'relaxed' that in hindsight were risky.

Is there an RAA SOP for carrying extra fuel (not in the aircraft fuel tanks)? This site provides relevant discussion Is it legal to carry extra Avgas in a jerry can? - PPRuNe Forums and this one has good SOPs type advice Jerry cans in aircraft - Page 2 - FLYER Forums particularly static electricity. I note mention of fuel cells in the

MOGAS or AVGAS - remote area refueling options thread and lots of options in the Spill Resistant Refueling ?? thread, but could not find anything in the Tutorials.

Does anyone run puncture resistant fuel bladders? Do they cause any problems, other than slightly reduced fuel capacity and increased dead-weight? corrosion of contacting aluminium due to trapped moisture perhaps?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Post impact fires are not unusual. Racing car type fuel tanks would help but no one does it. Low wing planes inverting is a risk in that regard. You are not guaranteed to be able to get out. I've never liked planes with only ONE door. It can Jamb. Some release the catch prior to emergency landing. Nev

• More 1

Racing car type fuel tanks would help but no one does it. Low wing planes inverting is a risk in that regard.

Could you elaborate what tank features would be good please Nev? Bladders? Inversion valves? Foam?

I had not thought of flipping a low wing like the Sonerai 038_sweat.gif.5ddb17f3860bd9c6d8a993bf4039f100.gif Thanks for the hazard identification. Not an easy risk to mitigate because roll cage would not be light or easy to retrofit.

Has any low/mid wing forum members successfully mitigated the this risk, or know how to?

Getting trapped inside it is the extra risk. I have also mentioned only having one door. (not good) Highwing tricycle gear can invert after yawing if you push the stick too far forward in a crosswind. and the weight transfers to the nosewheel but the cabin is generally strong enough to allow egress. Carburetter s will drain fuel from the bowl often onto hot engine parts. Your average aircraft is not particularly safe in this situation. A lightweight telescoping canister would be able to lift and support the weight of the plane with a propellant. to extend it if needed or build a sufficiently strong frame for the windscreen.. Nev