New Email sent out tonight

Guest Andys@coffs

Guest Andys@coffs

Folks

Keep an eye on your inbox, there is a new email newsletter being sent out this afternoon. Nothing of earth shattering importance (except the bit on Natfly being cancelled for Easter next year perhaps) but another communications example to show that we intend to lift well above what was considered normal in years gone by.

Andy

Hi Andy, just read the news letter and I don't see the "perhaps" part

NATFLY is under review so RA-Aus can explore ways of improving its flagship event.

In October, the board took the decision to defer the national fly-in pending a full review of RA-Aus' activities and calendar of events.

The decision was made with a view to reinvigorating NATFLY to attract a wide and varied audience.

At this stage NATFLY will definitely not be held on the Easter weekend in March 2015, nor before that weekend. RA-Aus is currently undertaking a full review of the event and a further announcement about the timing of the next NATFLY is expected to be made in January.

So it's 100% cancelled for easter, with the chance of another date later in the year. It's sad news considering AUSFLY was cancelled also, I was hoping to go this year but trying to work the logistics was hard. Hopefully the review will consider the location of any future event to easy transport and wider public participation.

And at risk of being negative (It's great to see some increase of communication), it lacks alot of information (referring to more information to come re AGM/Board decisions), but points for something thanks for your work.

Guest Andys@coffs

Personal view......

Natfly in years gone by has been a great success, in some years earning the organisation much more than it cost........Last year it cost RAAus much more than it earned......If Natfly is important to members then they need to support it...>Don't support it and we have to cancel it in fiscally constrained times. Despite a great deal of comment about Activity Based Costings (where we collect costing data to understand what every service delivery costs us) we know what flyins costs us, and what they return us in terms of primary income and expenditure, with a significant deficit on the line for this year we felt we cannot proceed until we are sure members will support it.

If Natfly is important to you when its announced for later 2015 or possibly even Easter 2016 then we need you to support it......I don't believe it will survive if it fails again in terms of attendance.

Might be a time to have alternate annual events with the SAAA for example with full attendance rights as part of the arrangement. Might lift the critical mass and reduce costs for all involved.. I'm interested n anything that flys , and I think most are. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Sadly flying in isn't an option for me, but if it was located within say the basin of a capital city which I could get a RPT flight I would.

Alternating locations or teaming with saaa makes sense too. Getting public turnout would be good too (again needs to be close to the population)

why cant it be combined into Austfly? the flying industry needs to accept and share if we are to help it grow and survive.. a bigger event for Austfly, and will attract a bigger crowd, and might also some new pilots...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Winner 1

Guest Andys@coffs

The CEO is investigating all options, which could be RAAus alone or RAAus involved with one or more other orgs....... So.....If you feel strongly about what it should look like and who others involved should be, then drop the CEO an email with the details and suggestions, he would be keen to have them.

What is it that will get you (all of you who read this) interested in going to NATFLY

Andy

Guest Maj Millard
Might be a time to have alternate annual events with the SAAA for example with full attendance rights as part of the arrangement. Might lift the critical mass and reduce costs for all involved.. I'm interested n anything that flys , and I think most are. Nev

I believe that is one idea on the table ............with some merit considering the current condition of the SAAA.

Andy....DO NOT blame the lack of attendance by the punters for the demise of Natfly! If the organisers had of listened to what the punters wanted and accepted the advice and support of those who have offered over the years, rather than putting on some half arsed event year after year, we wouldnt be in this situation. I am trying VERY hard to bite my tongue here!

Scotty

What is it that will get you (all of you who read this) interested in going to NATFLY

Andy

• Agree 1

Guest Andys@coffs

Scotty

Don't waste the passion, put keyboard to screen, prepare an email that talks about what it should be in the future and send to the CEO who is responsible for any future Natfly type events.

If you must talk about the failings, as you perceive them, of the past ensure that the email is balanced with the things that you would like to see in the future....

Scotty....I have to blame the members for non attendance, it was that non attendance that made it financially unviable. I make no reference to WHY members chose not to come, other than ask that they share that with the CEO.....

Its info I don't have, Ive never been to Temora, and only once to Narromine.... At the time Narromine was a big deal.....but not big enough for me to justify repeat visits at that time of the year when family comes first..... As my Girls are at that age where they find significant others in their lives, and therefore Easter becomes quieter than it was, I may be interested, as a normal member of returning.....

Andy

Ross The SAAA has had some moments lately but the local Chapter here (20 at Kyneton where I am a social member only) had a visit from the NEW SAAA President at the AGM of chapter 20. All was explained to us and I have a lot of confidence that they aren't dead in the water.. He seemed like the kind of bloke to operate no nonsense and be good to deal with. I found him easy to talk to, and willing to take on ideas. I resigned from the main body quite a few years ago as I completely disagreed with their amended fee structure. I don't think THAT management were good listeners. Nev

Andy. I don't think the average member wants to go to an Aviation event that has any dissention or unpleasantness likely to be part of it. They just do not like it.. so what do they do. They don't go. I could be wrong, but most just want to be able to fly. Simplistic ?? It is supposed to be fun. Same with aero clubs or any kind of Club. If it has factional wars, it is going to suffer. Nev

Andy...Get him to troll through the numerous posts on this forum relating to it. I simply dont have the energy to give to it anymore. The first Temora was fantastic and it went down hill very quickly after that. Its disappointing.

I would love to see a big all in event.

Scotty

If you has RAAus (alone ot with an other) do it one year and SAAA warbirds, Antiquers do it alternatively perhaps a bit of competition might bring out a bit more "Verve and Vim" (where did I get words like that from??) Nev

A survey was put out about Natfly. Where is the results, obviously they didn't like what was said, I'm with Bubblboy. The game that was played backfired, the CEO Steve Tizzard destroyed it, invited his CASA mates to play RAA cops.

After many years of Natfly and did not go the last 3. I had thought about going in 2015 Easter but now cancelled. I won't waste my time saying again what I wrote in the survey, but basically it is to showcase RAA aircraft, accessories and products, not to bully pilots, spectators and exhibitors !

CASA destroyed Australian aircraft manufacture before and it is still at it. They have some power hungry bullies at CASA. If CASA want to attend RAA functions then fall in line and assist not screw with it !! They even sponsored it I believe so they could play, I saw what happened, I listened, watched and never went back, simple. CASA couldn't organise a chook raffle ! RAA was doing fine without them attending in a high profile, they were there before but not high profile as I chatted with CASA personnel on many occasions.

• Agree 2

It would appear that any reasonably sized flyin these days CASA will be there doing ramp checks.

I attended Thangool this year, expected CASA to be there, and sure enough they were there doing their thing.

I am not aware of anyone being found wanting, but the big brother feeling was present.

I believe you just have to expect it currently - I am not sure whether this keeps some away or not, but it certainly not helpful.

• Winner 1

Obviously politics, apathy, and ex ceo's have a lot to answer for. I attended all except the last one (in hospital for an operation). Camped under wing at each of them. Each one was, for me, great, lots of aircraft, hanger talk, exhibitions (the spitfire and the aerobatics were phenominal.) When Carol was organising it, she did a marvelous job and should be applauded for her efforts (talk about going the extra mile...!!), pity the Raa experts, in their wisdom, played the person and not what they are paid to do, look after and promote the sport. Funny we have not seen a cost accounting for natfly.

Any flying event is a great opportunity for CASA to do ramp checks. Nowhere else will they get a concentration of aircraft and owners in one spot at a time. Having said that, if everyone was legal, there would be no issue.

Personally, I think a change of venue may be required, though consideration may be required with regards to staff travel time and whether to tow the trailer with the tent, or find one to rent, plus all the bits and pieces from the office - if it were to remain a RA-Aus only event. Not overly difficult to overcome.

Obviously - too far North and the southerners won't come, too far South and the northerners won't come, so there is a balance of time/fuel expense pain to be balanced and considered.

Otherwise, the option to tie in with SAAA will undoubtedly become attractive until RA-Aus (the movement) settles down again, is comfortable in the direction to Org is going / handling things and the interest in attending and RA-Aus only Flyin returns.

Obviously, the CASA will be present at any event, so maybe every RA-Aus aircraft owner that has flown in should actively invite the inspectors to check their aircraft (cause you'll be 100% legal won't you!). It may restore their perception of the ultralight movement.