Drifter SB582 Vs WB582

Cosmick

SB Faster by about 5kts, at cruise but slightly heavier than WB, still better climb WOT in SB . Empty SB weight about 250. WB not much less (if any) depend on the specifc aircraft but maybe 5kg less. WB is stronger but you would not want to test either to its limit I think they are both +4 -2 both strong enough - normal flying no issue.

No need to be ducking wires all the time in a SB a nuisance when loading up the back seat IMO on WB... but not a big deal. SB land a bit longer, float a bit further and so need a bit more work to grease it on - the wires on the WB make it tend to settle on faster (drag). Glide ratio a bit better in the SB because lower parasitic drag.

Buy either, I would just depends what is available at the time! THEN Go fly like I am about too...

SB or WB doesn't matter just pick a good one. Skins and Engine is the first consideration on cost then overall condition and times etc Still a WB 912 would be my pick! Better economy but enough power to drive it harder and the wires make for better short landings.

I. Not sure where you are getting the weight numbers from but my Fisher Mk 1 on floats is just 225kg, and without floats its 185kg, a mate one hangar over has a strut braced 582 and from memory it is in the 250kg range.

Figures from WB example sheet in Austflight Manual -

page84image3288

AUSTFLIGHT ULA Pty Ltd DRIFTER SB - 582 SECTION 6 CASA APPROVED WEIGHT BALANCE AND EQUIPMENT

Drifter SB - 582 ITEM

Registration - 55 -

6.7 EXAMPLE CALCULATION

The following example demonstrates the use of the form.

BASIC EMPTY CONDITION 271

FRONT SEAT PILOT 70

FRONT SEAT BALLAST -693

REAR SEAT PILOT 65

428 27,820

OTHER.

ZERO FUEL CONDITION 406

506 205,570 896 18,099 336 7,997

REAR TANK 30L x 0.72 20,2

AUXILIARYTANK 40Lx0.72 23,8 TOTAL 450

515 231,666

Zero fuel condition is within limits. Total loaded condition is within limits.

(32.9% MAC) (33.4% MAC)

Issued March 15th, 1996

Page 6-8

WEIGHT X ARM = MOMENT kg mm kg*mm

835 226,260

Interested in the Aircraft but 180kg not a lot to work with, 200kg a lot better

270 is way heavy.... As I said and the others also 250 - 255 is about where an empty SB should weigh ... WB a bit less becaus less sleeving in the wing and stut weight. Theses are Austflight 55 reg I mean. If an aircraft you are looking at weighs 270 it needs to go on a diet or there is something wrong.... That is an example, each AC needs its own WB. Nearly 200kg payload isn't so bad.