New here, Training out at Camden

bspargo

G'day guys, Ben here. just a quick intro. I'm only a few lessons in, (4!), but loving it. I'm learning in a Citabria with Curtis at Camden, trying to fly at least once a fortnight atm. Got another mate doing it as well so we're able to compare notes which is good. I'm just learning the basics right now so can't contribute a lot, but glad there's a group here with a lot of Aussies on board who all have the bug!

BTW my other passion is watches and watchmaking!!

cheers guys!

• Like 5

Good on you Ben, the Citabria..Airbatic backwards, is a very nice handling tail dragger. I did a fair bit of time in the Decathalon and became my favorite GA aircraft.

• Like 1

G'day guys, Ben here. just a quick intro. I'm only a few lessons in, (4!), but loving it. I'm learning in a Citabria with Curtis at Camden, trying to fly at least once a fortnight atm. Got another mate doing it as well so we're able to compare notes which is good. I'm just learning the basics right now so can't contribute a lot, but glad there's a group here with a lot of Aussies on board who all have the bug!BTW my other passion is watches and watchmaking!!

cheers guys!

Congrats on getting started.

Good work on doing your training in a tailwheel. your stick and rudder skills will be great!

Thanks guys. next lesson on Friday, taking a day off work to enjoy! I actually did my first two lessons in pipers as the citabrias were unavailable, a little piper sport for the first and a piper warrior for the second. But the Curtis guys are very strong on recommending doing your training on a taildragger, so did the next two in the Citabria and will be booking one for each lesson from now on.

Certainly the Pipers seemed easier to control, the Citabria was a lot more work, but also kind of more enjoyable...i felt a bit more in control. I'm looking to improve my rudder skills in particular this time, i was doing a lot of overcorrecting last time which threw me off.

cheers,

Ben.

• Like 2

G'day guys, Ben here. just a quick intro. I'm only a few lessons in, (4!), but loving it. I'm learning in a Citabria with Curtis at Camden, trying to fly at least once a fortnight atm. Got another mate doing it as well so we're able to compare notes which is good. I'm just learning the basics right now so can't contribute a lot, but glad there's a group here with a lot of Aussies on board who all have the bug!BTW my other passion is watches and watchmaking!!

cheers guys!

Hey Ben,. . . .R U any good at mending bloody altimeters. . .? I'm really fed up with adjusting and fixing the damn things at our club ! ! ! ! we had one guy last week who asked, and his ALT was 32 Millibars ( HPa ) out of kilter,. . .and he'd flown 120 NM to our field past various types of airspace with this as his prime source of altitude reference. . . . !just goes to prove we have more idiot flyers per cubic mile of airspace than you do in Aus. . . . .! ( well,. . .I CERTAINLY HOPE SO anyway . . . . )

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Phil, Not sure about altimeters, never tried! I hope there aren't too many idiots out there though, consequences could be pretty dire!!!

Anyway, after two lessons being cancelled due to weather and therefore not having flown for 4 weeks, i finally got back out again today. Man it's amazing how much you forget after not flying for a few weeks. Left feeling pretty crap today. Was just really tense today and really hard on the controls. Took forever to level out after climbs and descents. Didn't enjoy it a lot :(

Have another lesson booked on Friday, hoping it's better than today!!!

Ben.