Proper landing technique Jabiru J230

Guest Fresno Jab

I use and encourage a 10 mile inbound call to druid vale ( private strip ) , and then a downwind call ,On 127.7 , at least any one listening in will know you've made it to the circuit .

Mike

Mike..........is that meant to be 126.7 ??

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

126.7 Yes , stuffed that post , bit late last night , had to stay up all night and nerse our sick dog , who took it upon her self to sneek up on my wife while cleaning out a shed and had some loose rat & mouse baits that the dog injested .

We made her sick with salt & few drops of water down the gullit .

Next couple of days she developed a cough , and offing up flem .

Seems a bit better today ,

Cheers

• Like 1

...YQDI is generally quiet except ...anyone planning a fly on a second Saturday of the month in our area let us know and take the chance to meet some 'interesting' locals...

...who are you calling "interesting"?

Hi to all, I live in Central California and recently purchased a Jabiru J230. I am hoping someone can give me a few tips on proper landing technique for the airplane. It seem like on almost every landing the nose wants to wander back and forth....I am at 68-70 kts on short final to landing, with full flaps. I am having a very difficult time keeping the nose on the centerline just before touchdown. It seems to really move around about 6-8 feet above the runway surface. Have about 18 hours in the plane now with about 25 landings. Trying to stay light on the rudder pedals but seems that plane will not stay straight and wanders almost every time. Had several ballooned landings and also quite a few where the plane is at a pretty severe angle to the centerline (tough on landing gear & tires). Just hoping that someone can give me a few tips on what may be the problem. Controls are very mushy at and just before touchdown...Any help or advice is appreciated. Hope I can participate in the forum often.

Thanks,

Craig

Craig

The 230 is pretty benign once you are used to the aircraft, I have over 800 hrs in one and initially they can be a bit of a handful (I came from GA) as they are light and hard to slow down (in the early stages), technique I use with low hrs as below.

Mid downwind (runway 2/3 out on the wing) power back to 1800, stick back a little to get you to 80 kts (maintain 1000 AGL) 80 kts first stage of flap and trim for 75 kts.

45 deg over your left shoulder commence base turn (I do oval circuits as that is the way I was taught, rate one turn will get you all the way to final) 500 feet per minute down and 75 kts will get you onto final with about 1 mile to run at 500 agl i.e. 1 minute

Undercarriage, pitch and runway clear checks and second stage of flap 65 kts and everything is setup correctly (vary ROD with power and speed with pitch), hold 65 kts to 100 feet and bring the power off, speed over the threshold 60 kts, flare at about 20 feet and hold the nose off and let the aeroplane land itself (don't try and put it on the ground you will run into problems), hold the nose wheel off as long as practical flaps away and brake as required.

Once you are competent, confident in your ability and have a few hours under your belt you can bash it in (120 kts) to a mile on a straight in approach and still get it on the ground easily but this will take time and practice.

Also I have landed in 15 kts plus cross wind without any problems the 230 is a very nice aeroplane to fly in all configurations you just have to get to know your aeroplane.

Hope that helps, I'm not an instructor so take everything I've said with a very big grain of salt, happy flying.

Aldo

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

• 2 years later...
Guest Fresno Jab

Thanks again to everyone for the info. After more practice I have found that a slower approach speed on short final is the answer. I had been 70 knots which seems to be way too fast. Also because I am landing at a residential airport with a short runway I was in a bit of a hurry to get it set down and apply brakes. 60-65 with 3/4 flaps works pretty well.