Memorial Suggestion

Robbo

Hi Ian,

Been thinking it would be good to remember our members who have left this world.

Maybe have a message under there avatar with "Never Forgotten" and there birth and death dates (if known)

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• 1 month later...

Last night in amongst all the noise & celebration, I had a quiet moment to reflect on those that were left behind in 2015, including Ross.

Has there been any more thought on Robbos memorial suggestion?

Fly Safe in 2016

Regards R W

• Caution 1

Hi Ian,Been thinking it would be good to remember our members who have left this world.

Maybe have a message under there avatar with "Never Forgotten" and there birth and death dates (if known)

I agree. We should honour all our lost aviators. Yours was a good suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...

On the down side, if it is a large list, it's a constant reminder of how it is possible to die flying and a possible deterrent to new "customers" taking up the pastime, if it's prominently displayed.. Some relatives may not wish it either.. and are natural deaths included.?? We are ALL going to die sometime.. Nev

• Caution 1

Plenty of ways to die without flying.

Yep, death and taxes are 2 certainties in life, well some avoid taxes in life but no one will avoid dying in the end.

I would like to see a memorial for the brothers & sisters lost in our sport as a mark of respect for them

• Agree 1

On the down side, if it is a large list, it's a constant reminder of how it is possible to die flying and a possible deterrent to new "customers" taking up the pastime, if it's prominently displayed.. Some relatives may not wish it either.. and are natural deaths included.?? We are ALL going to die sometime.. Nev

Do you want to fly amongst pilots who arrogantly or ignorantly think they immortal? The news combined with their relatives will leave them with no illusion once they express their interest in learning to fly!

• Agree 1

Well it won't deter the ones who should be heeding it and will deter the sensitive ones who could be talked to about safe flying..

I've had this argument at a club environment and I'm against it. I don't want to be reminded of friends I've lost when I sit down for a talk /meal in between flights. The ones who think accidents only happen to other people, won't be affected, and they are the galahs that shouldn't be flying and take another hobby. Nev

• 3 weeks later...

One thing that needs to be taken into account, I have seen this happen with various other forums.

Once a member leaves the forum or in this case there life is sadly taken there email account will expire after a period of inactivity or they may change there email address.

This could cause a security issue with the forums because if someone signs up for the same email address they can see mailings from rec flying and then do a password recovery and spam under the former members username.

Maybe the "Gone but never forgotten" message can be tied in with an account lock or suspension?

Maybe there could also be an automatic lock on an account if the member doesn't sign in for six months and there is a secret question and answer that has to be supplied to reopen the account?

Just a suggestion...

(Sorry about spelling, back on laptop next week as I have had enough of the phone)