Rasberry Pi ADS-B receiver experiences?

You probably want to turn your rasberry-pi into a Stratux : Stratux ADS-B | Stratux ADS-B - DIY/Low-cost Portable ADS-B

The advantages are

- Supported by a large community

- Works with a wider range of hardware

- Zero config connection to your EFB of choice (and it works with both AvPlan EFB and the other one)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You probably want to turn your rasberry-pi into a Stratux : Stratux ADS-B | Stratux ADS-B - DIY/Low-cost Portable ADS-BThe advantages are

- Supported by a large community

- Works with a wider range of hardware

- Zero config connection to your EFB of choice (and it works with both AvPlan EFB and the other one)

I think I will try that, was unsuccessful last night.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just ordered one of the prebuilt units! I wished I had time to tinker myself, but alas, no. :( I will let you know how it goes when it lands.

Ok' date=' I didn't give up. Found it on archive.orgADS-Pi: Low-Cost ADS-B IN for OzRunways

I suggest that you don't buy the dongle that they mention in the instructions, its specs say: Receiving frequency: DVBT 48.25~863.25MHzThere are some around that are set up rather better for the 1090 MHz ADS-B frequency than others. Some good ones and other related items can be found on the following site, I've found them to be very quick on dispatch. I have no connection with them.

www.buyraspberrypi.com.au

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

So I have my unit and fully tested it the other day, and it works great.  Although, I have some observations.

I am using Oz Runways and I was flying at a regional AD, so not a lot of traffic around, but it certainly picked up the boys overhead.  I didn't get any audible of visual warnings of traffic when they appeared, but I am not sure if that was because they were not going to conflict??  Not sure how that part of the system works.

The traffic appeared just like it would on OzRunways without ADSB.  Same little icon.  However, and here is what has me scratching my head....

You have to connect to the device with WiFi, which means the 4G data network is not operational.  This means any of the OzRunways traffic (that is coming over 4G) is gone.  It also means I was not able to look up METAR or FAC entry pages on the iPad.  Now, I believe there is a setting somewhere in the iPad that allows for both WiFi Data and 4G Data to run at the same time, so I need to go searching.

If I can get that sorted, then the system is good.  Works perfectly as described.

I have mine suctioned cupped to the fixed rear window of my Canopy and a lead runs down past the passenger and into the socket on my dashboard.  As soon as the plane powers up, the unit powers up! 

I will hopefully be up again this weekend, and will give it another run.

Cheers

John

Try this. Assuming it's an iPad

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/173894/can-i-connect-to-wifi-but-still-use-cellular

It is absolutely possible to work with both the backup camera Wi-Fi and LTE at the same time -- I just did it. The problem of having the connection to my Wi-Fi back-up camera blocking my internet use over the cell towers has driven me crazy. The solution is so easy it is embarassing.

These folks are right. Just follow these easy steps:

1. Connect your iPhone to the Wi-Fi for your backup camera.

2. Go to SETTINGS and select Wi-Fi then select the blue INFO icon to the right of the name of your back-up camera Wi-Fi

3. Make note of both the IP address and the Subnet Mask address

4. Select the STATIC option and enter only the IP and Subnet Mask addresses from Step 3 -- (Leave everything else blank)

Your iPhone will be connected to your back-up camera Wi-Fi and also to the LTE signal at the same time. SIRI and all internet functions (Weather, Navigation, Inquiries, etc) will continue to work with the LTE signal while simultaneously enjoying the safety of your back-up camera.

• 3 months later...

I’ve just had the good fortune to attend a demonstration by Bevan of the latest version EFB released by AvPlan, and once again they have raised the standard of software for the benefit of all aviators.

I encourage aviators to investigate for themselves the many improvements they’ve made, but most relevant to this thread, they now have enhanced the traffic information.

As I understand it, they make use of a network of ground-based ADSB receivers (but not from Airservices). So in addition to normal AvPlan traffic “paints” there are RPT and other flightplanned ADSB transponder equipped traces adding to our situational awareness whilst flying.

As I understand it, non-flightplanned transponder equipped traffic wouldn’t necessarily appear, so I am still inclined to keep using my Raspberry Pi for that traffic as well.

Bevan, I’m happy to be corrected on the detail of this additional traffic data, in case I got it wrong...

• Like 1

I have had a stratux installed in my RAA LSA for about 6 months. I was prompted by seeing an increase in the number of GA planes who have adsb out over the past year or so. (using flightradar) I have had about 6 instances where see and avoid was inadequate and the adsb paint enabled appropiate action to be taken. It is a better solution than any method that relies on adsb receiving ground stations because you are receiving the signal directly from the aircraft with accompanying lower latency. You have to be careful interpreting altitude data because it is based on standard pressure and needs to be adjusted for local qnh (hint to bevan)

Although most RAA aircraft (except mine) and many GA aircraft dont have adsb out, it is just another tool that does not replace see and avoid.

It is especially useful at busy airports which have RPT aircraft and therefore will all have adsb out. Also good when near airports and flying VFR routes.

I wish casa would make the fitment of adsb out to aircraft more economic by accepting gps sources with lower integrity.

Franky

• Agree 1

We're now feeding in ADSB traffic from a network of ground stations, plus glider traffic as well, into AvPlan EFB. You can also connect your own compatible ADSB receiver and get even more coverage as well. We won't even charge you extra to do so!

• Like 2

We're now feeding in ADSB traffic from a network of ground stations, plus glider traffic as well, into AvPlan EFB. You can also connect your own compatible ADSB receiver and get even more coverage as well. We won't even charge you extra to do so!

So you're saying an adsb receiver is not needed in the aircraft and adsb "paints" (such as on flight radar) are received like your traffic, via the cellular data network?

For obsessive techie sorts like myself, I also run a version of OzRunways in (addition to my regular AvPlan) That allows me to see “paints” from OzRunways users, many of whom have no transponder, nor lodged flightplan. As recreational pilots that’s understandable, but it just gives me that added bit of situational awareness along with my Raspberry Pi.

I have recently recieved an email from OZRWYS.

The last topic of the email is below.

Are these the equivalent of the home made Rasperry Pi, or something different?

I'm guessing this will not pick up AvPlan aircraft, (without ADSB....or will it?).

ADS-B: Get the Complete Picture.

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgallery.mailchimp.com%2F278909621e741473665c63b33%2Fimages%2Fa9f574a0-1f25-4cb9-88e4-8e8d01fab7f9.jpg&t=1537257088&ymreqid=c85400e2-f97f-41d6-1c92-6d000001c900&sig=7_.BsQn7jI.lOAvBZ04Vgw--~C

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgallery.mailchimp.com%2F278909621e741473665c63b33%2Fimages%2F768bda84-afb8-47ad-86d7-4dee49495602.jpg&t=1537257088&ymreqid=c85400e2-f97f-41d6-1c92-6d000001c900&sig=Miz4YRy2J1mgSNXCi7osPA--~C

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgallery.mailchimp.com%2F278909621e741473665c63b33%2Fimages%2F40086810-28de-4934-9e21-74a0108e9a7f.jpg&t=1537257088&ymreqid=c85400e2-f97f-41d6-1c92-6d000001c900&sig=tamPrsWct4qd6PHOHTTWXw--~C

OzRunways Traffic is great, but it's not the complete picture. With many aircraft now ADS-B equipped, get the best traffic picture by adding a portable ADS-B IN receiver to your flight bag. See where the airliners are approaching uncontrolled airports. Be aware of who else is in the busy training area. Keep clear of crossing traffic.

OzRunways 7 has support for the new generation of WiFi-based GDL90 compatible receivers like Stratus 3, Dynon DRX and uAvionix Ping. We will be selling these at AirVenture Australia in Cessock and on our own online store soon after.

Super Cub, as an early adopter & tinkerer, my Raspberry Pi is just a rudimentary 1090 MHz receiver for transponders in my vicinity. I am aware of the more refined Dynon DRX fully suited to the USA environment (Dual Band Traffic via 978 MHz (UAT) and 1090 MHz) having additional functionality provided by the system in their country. I believe the DRX is now compatible with the latest versions of AvPlan and OzRunways - but only displays the functionality provided by our Australian system.

I know that the Dynon rep from USA will be at AirVenture Australia in Cessnock this week so I can ask some more detailed questions regarding this when I am there.

• Informative 1

I'm guessing this will not pick up AvPlan aircraft, (without ADSB....or will it?).

You won't see AvPlan EFB aircraft which don't have ADSB-out. Wouldn't it be great if that traffic data was shared across providers?

• Agree 1

You won't see AvPlan EFB aircraft which don't have ADSB-out. Wouldn't it be great if that traffic data was shared across providers?

That would be brilliant, to say the least. Cheap, effective and safer skyways is what we want.

I mentioned this to a casa safety rep but all I pretty much got was a blank stare and some waffle about "everyone" having adsb-out eventually(ironically potentially useless if you do not have an "in" device)...Being ex military/commercial the concept of people having to pay for their own flying and costs, was perhaps foreign to him....I'm not sure if he has ever seen Avplan or OzRways at all......

These efb's and "traffic" are (or could be) the biggest advance in safety/collision avoidance for light aircraft since vhf radios. Another layer of safety.

I always say " It doesn't have to be perfect, just better (safer) than what we have now"......

• Agree 2

Wouldn't it be great if that traffic data was shared across providers?

Quite right Bevan. How sad that the other Aussie EFB supplier doesn’t seem to respect the safety advantages that that would bring, despite your generous efforts.

• Agree 1

We're now feeding in ADSB traffic from a network of ground stations, plus glider traffic as well, into AvPlan EFB.

Out of technical curiosity, is the glider traffic data coming from their FLARM signals? If so what airborne data comes through, and over what range?