Gliding clubs Sydney basin.

Howdy folks!

Thinking of trying my hand at a bit of gliding to try something different and looking for suggestions on places to look at. Also would like to know what is involved in becoming certified if already licensed for powered AC. Googled a bit but couldn't really find what I was after.

Thanks in advance.

Yea I flew in there tonight and left the AC there, that's what renewed the interest. Looks like there are 3 or more schools there tho. Have you had a go?

Gday Frank, extended visit to Sydney at this stage, left my last job in December as it wasn't going anywhere, down here doing a bit of twin stuff, renewal and the last of my ATPL's. Was back in Cairns first but missed out on what was up there. Few opportunities round here at the moment so whilst things are going good here I'll stick around. If it dries up I'll be back up to Cairns and wait it out.

Your conversion is an accelerated version of the syllabus. Some bits you won't need to do anything and others will be new. Eg aero tow, circuits judgement, emergency rope breaks,spins etc. You can get a 3 month membership of the GFA and the clubs will teach you usually on weekends. They usually just charge for the tow and glider rental. Club instructors are volunteers. Hope you enjoy.

Cheers

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

if you want to travel just north of Sydney (Mangrove Mountain) www.ccsoaring.com.au they do winch launching , quiet the thrill 1st launch. Can be cost effective if the conditions are right.

Agree. I did two days on different weekends there back in late 2013, all flights in the timber K13 were great fun and enjoyable; friendly club members.

Well worth a visit.

Cheers

Mike

Great minds must think alike Ben. You will benefit from a good sim for the rope breaks, but the rest would be in the aircraft. I haven't flown a glider since 1969. (Blanik near Alice Springs) I've done a couple of sessions in the sim at Benalla, one recently. Study up on meteorology. Nev

• Like 1

Southern Cross Gliding Club at Camden do aerotow launches and have a comprehensive fleet including 4 twins and several single seaters at different performance levels. They operate on weekends and Monday, Wednesday and Fridays midweek and offer 10 flight packages which are good value. There are two other clubs operating touring motor gliders at Camden but that is a different form of gliding entirely. As already mentioned, Central Coast Soaring Club operate at Mangrove Mountain and winch launch on Thursdays and weekends. They have an open cockpit version of the venerable K13, which I think would be great fun.

Further afield, Bathurst Soaring Club operate on weekends but do occasionally offer ab initio training courses mid week (check their website). Personally I can recommend Lake Keepit Soaring Club which operate every day with a professional manager midweek, accommodation at cheap rates on the field, good aircraft and unrestricted airspace. In winter it may also have weather advantages. A number of members fly their powered aircraft up from Sydney if you want to fly in and avoid a 6 hour drive. If you were to do a 5 day course you would almost certainly go solo and probably get a few of the earlier qualifications done as well.

There are lots of options depending on your time availability and preferences for airspace and there are several very well regarded clubs in country NSW. The GFA website has a find a club link on their home page but here it is adminGlidingAustralia

Whichever option you choose, you will love it.

Cheers, Terry

• Informative 1

Further on what Terry said, a bunch of us from SRFC (Oaks) did some glider spin recovery training with the Southern Cross Club and I thought it and they were absolutely fantastic.

Chris

Hi Ben,

We operate a Dimona motor glider at Camden. A typical 45 minute Air Experience Flight is to around 6000' over the Blue Mts/Lake Burragorang area and a 60 minute Air Experience Flight is usually to 7500'-8000' in the Katoomba area. We shut down at each of these locations, feather the prop and glide back to Camden for an engine off landing.

The big advantage of a touring motor glider is the extended gliding flight time even when there is no thermal activity to access. A typical conventional glider launch using aerotow is to 2500'-3000' providing a flight time of 20-25mins.

Another is the side by side seating which although aerodynamically a little less efficient, wins hands down in terms of communication, direct demonstration and feedback.

Feel free to email me with any questions.

Laurie. Sydney Motor Glider Flight Group [email protected]