perspex polish

CLAYT

I would like to know if perspex polish works and how to get hold of it:;)5:.I have fine scratches in the windscreen would like to get rid of them.Your advice would great.Regards CLAYT.

G,day CLAYT,

For years I have been using Brasso with great results. You could buy a Micro mesh kit if you wish to get serious though.

Although there is always a risk when introducing a hydrocarbon product to perspex or any of its cousins, to date I have encountered no problems with Brasso, but test first particularly on lexan.

I have restored Ag aircraft perspex that has sections that are opaque due to rice seed abrasion, starting with 600 wet and dry and working through the grades and finishing with Brasso.

For fine scratches I would start with a spotlessly clean perspex, and spotlessly clean T shirt material rag, note 1 grain of dirt and your moving backwards at speed. You can actually here if a grain of dirt is on the screen or rag as you will hear a fine squeaking.

Make sure the lid of the Brasso is clean so you don't introduce an abrasive at this point. Dab a small (half a teaspoon) amount on the rag and polish away for about 2 min for a tea cup plate sized area, then polish clean with another clean rag and check your results, you should be impressed. I wouldn't leave the Brasso on the perspex any longer than necessary to minimize the risk of damage from the hydrocarbon carrier in Brasso.

Good luck

Mick

Thankyou Mazda and Yen,Ihave been using MR SHEEN which is good but is not taking the fine scratches out.Some people have mentioned BRASSO but it sounds abit harsh.If nothing else comes up I will try perlex but I would like to get rid of the scratches.Regards Clayton Vincent.

Hi Clayt

The only thing I could recommend to get scratches out is to ask the aircraft manufacturer - please, I am not trying to be rude or funny but I wouldn't like to see anyone take a risk with using something on a screen without knowing the exact compilation of the materials used to make the screen - for example the Gazelle, you have to watch out for petrol spilling on the windows - that will destroy them very quickly but other windows will fare a lot better if petrol is spilt on them - yet both are a poly carbon material.

For general cleaning of screen I would recommend Composiclean spray on wax (please note that I am biased with this as it is available in the shop here) - the reason why is that it is completely pH neutral - not acidic or alkaline - did you know that even water isn't pH neutral. Plus you would also use Composiclean wax to wax/polish your whole aircraft with it - you just simply spray it on and a quick wipe off - no buffing or polishing needed. A lot of other polish/wax etc like Mr Sheen is extremely bad for composite aircraft as they leave a film on the material that if you ever need to repair the aircraft, the fixing process doesn't bond properly unless extreme care is taken.

This is what can happen over time if you use a non pH neutral wash or wax/polish on a composite aircraft that has even a minor scratch in it - the non pH neutral stuff gets into the scratch and starts eating away:

Example of a common of the shelf alkaline cleaner, note the total deterioration and deformation of structure. The foam is soft and collapsing throughout the 1.5 inch piece. 8hrs soaking

Hope this helps!

I use Kitten Number 1 Car Polish. It's green and works a treat. When I bought my Gazelle I could barely see out the windscreen, so I used this along with Mr Sheen and most of the cloudyness and scratches went away. I have tried Plexus but didn't find that it removed scratches as I thought it would have.

Craftics Plasti-Polish is an excellent product but you may have to search for it on the net and buy via the net. Also, Meguiars make some very good plastic cleaning/polishing compounds. I use their no 17 plastic polish on Lexan helmet-visors and it is very good although in my experience any deep scratch in Lexan is there for good.

I use Brasso as well with excellent results to remove the stains/light scratches and this is on our vintage C47s' [DC3].You can can cut with fine wet/dry any deeper scratches then polish with the Brasso.Best to do by hand as you don't want any heat generated during the process.Cheers T87 [tooth paste is also used on glass/windscreens but again minimize the heat especially if using power tools]

This is interesting chaps and chapettes,

I have a whisp of overspray on one of my windows and metho won't shift it. Would brasso do the trick, or would you suggest something else?

I have always used Plexus on my sailplane canopy and on motorcycle screens and helmet visors. It cleans, waxes & protects well.

Geoff

G,day all, Ihave just come home for smoko and have read your suggestions,Brasso keeps coming up as trumps. Ian has got me thinking about the ph factor-does it worry fibreglass as it is around the w/screen,helei/windows,doors ect. CLAYT

Brasso has been used to buff/polish clear coats/gel coats/two part enamel paints etc with good effect as it only has a mild solvent and is not acidic but to be on the safe side always try it on a small part first.All the rage at the moment is polishing Cd's and iPods with Brasso. Cheers

i've been a fan of micromesh kits for some years now. they work a treat but require some work as there are no short cuts, you have to work your way down each grade. but done right it looks like new.

the cost of replacing half a screen on a twin must be pricey. the company i used to work for would fly two guys up from melbourne to ybk to polish a window on a aerostar. took the two of them all day working with the micro mesh fitted to an airdrill, looked like new in the end.

tip for using micro mesh: use a soft block like you would use for sanding a paint job. do not use your palm or fingers. it will give an uneven result.

ozzie

Guest pelorus32

When I was a kid (couple of years ago) the price of a few hours with the local helicopter pilot out on a job was to clean the screen.

The best way to get shouted at however was to polish in straight lines - particularly horizontal straight lines. Those guys' lives depended on being able to see the wires and the best way to hide the wires was with straight polish or scratch marks on the bubble. Same applied to the phyxed wing ag guys.

So despite the odd drawback of a circular polish it was far preferred to straight lines at any angle.

Regards

Mike

Guest disperse

I used a automotive paint polish on head light protectors for the truck. and also good for getting scratched cd's working again.... but be gentle or you'll add to the scratch's

I have used a tube of Autosol cream from Super Cheap with success on the perspex screen on my boat, and it seems to work a treat as it's a very fine abrasive.

Almost any fine compound such as brasso,will normally do the trick ok to finish off, but make sure you only use a very soft cloth clean cloth, such as grannys undies.

If you can find a supplier of the old fashioned Duraglit wadding you'll be happy with the results for sure. Duraglit is a cottonwool type product which is impregnated with (i think) oelic acid, and I used to polish scratched watch glasses with it years ago.

It dries out in the heat, so if you can find a supplier, make sure you keep it in the cool. Dont forget to do the right thing and wash grannys undies and return them to her in case you need to borrow them again

• 5 weeks later...

Brasso is swish

Just want to thank all of you who put me on to Brasso.

It has taken off the over-spray and removed sundry other crud that built up on my J230's windows during the build, and if anything it has made the windows more smooth.

A good result, so thanks again and I hope this is of use to all Jabiru builder & owners ..... although make sure you do a test area just in case the window material has changed for various models.

Regards Geoff

Example of a common of the shelf alkaline cleaner, note the total deterioration and deformation of structure. The foam is soft and collapsing throughout the 1.5 inch piece. 8hrs soaking

Hope its not written elsewhere in the postings Ian, but what sort of foam is it? Doesn't look like a standard divinycell or Rohacell type foam used in sandwich composite construction that I am aware of.

Chris

Polishing perspex used on glider canopies, I personally use the 3 inch buff made up of cotton sheets, on a speed variable polisher. Admittedly, this is a very high risk way to do it, but it works fine none the less and gets rid of any over spray and fine scratches.

Note: This does not use a circular buffing motion on the canopy. Done properly, it polishes in line with the direction of flight.

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME (or in the hangar) unless you know exactly how to use a polishing machine properly and have the right wax for it.

I am simply putting in my 2c worth as to other ways it could be done.

Chris