Jeppesen CR-2 computer

Anybody know if any good online tutorials for the Jeppesen CR-2 whizz wheel? I have the manual but it is surprisingly vague. And most you tube tutorials etc are for other models of flight computer.

I just googled it and there are several different sites. The following looks as if it should do the job.It appears to be very similar to all the other whiz wheels.

http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/ProductDocs/cr-instructions.pdf

Yeah that's the manual that I have. I was looking for a more detailed tutorial with examples. There are several different sites but they mostly just have a copy of this same manual from the 50's.

I've just been reading about how to use other computers and working out how to do it with this one so far, I'm getting the hang of it.

Nice to know somebody still uses these things. Too many folks I know rely on iPads etc. and have little idea when the thing shuts off.

In that case, I'd use my phone. Same software but written under a different OS, so little chance of one bad piece of code rendering both devices US. Coupled with the chance of the Ipad going flat/overheating and the S7 dying on the same flight? Pretty damn slim. Single-point failures about in our aircraft. Just because someone isn't using a whizwheel doesn't mean 'they're doing it wrong'.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Seriously, the comments about having wind calculators on our phones is spot on.

Big shout out to Sporty's pilot shop E6B application for iPad.

Most university students carry a phone a tablet and a laptop so the redundancy is there already and it is expected.

Back in that other bastion of general aviation ('murica) the FAA and CAP respectively are considering recommendations in their survival pages for a fully charged mobile phone and a butane cigarette lighter or two. This is to replace the matches or flint and portable 121.5 Mhz beacon previously specified (waaaay back). Simply, phone coverage is just that good there, it is worth considering.

Yes I still practise my whizz wheel. I also know it is less accurate than the electronic version but still good enough for a bug smasher driver

Ok, so I am as tech literate as the top 5% of people. But, no BS. Was in flight Port Macquarie to Ballina, just west of Coffs , near CTA...iPad stopped, phone stopped, nothing, and my triathlon watch had no GPS signal, even my AvMap in my aircraft had no signal.....I will reveal why later....now on the coast that's not an issue...you know there is an airport directly N or S..... but what do you do if your 200 nm west of whoopdy doo with limited landmarks, limited roads and aerodromes that are very hard to spot, even when you know where they are.... and your rustys as hell because you have become reliant on technology...its a very dangerous and serious issue and you won't realise how serious till it happens.

Then this part is theoretical, but let's assume your in an area which I have been multiple times SW of Tamworth and radar has no idea where you are? They can't help you either.

Believe me when this happens, the most high priority thing you will do is re-study all those onerous manual calculations and dead reckoning.

Im am in agreeance that iPad flying is far safer than dead reckoning. however when technology glitches , like it inevitably does, you better damn well know how to dig yourself out of that luxurious hole in a hurry.

I'd say the most important thing to do when the technology tanks is "keep flying the aircraft".

I just forked out $$$ for Nov 2016 paper maps and I intend to turn them to scrap before they go out of date (again).

I'd bet it's pretty hard to do lost procedures without a paper map and a correctly trimmed aircraft. Being in sight of the ground would help a bit too *joke*.

CASA continues to recommend paper maps for backup.

Drawing a flight plan on the paper map(s) as part of the planning may help.

Ok, so I am as tech literate as the top 5% of people. But, no BS. Was in flight Port Macquarie to Ballina, just west of Coffs , near CTA...iPad stopped, phone stopped, nothing, and my triathlon watch had no GPS signal, even my AvMap in my aircraft had no signal.....I will reveal why later....now on the coast that's not an issue...you know there is an airport directly N or S..... but what do you do if your 200 nm west of whoopdy doo with limited landmarks, limited roads and aerodromes that are very hard to spot, even when you know where they are.... and your rustys as hell because you have become reliant on technology...its a very dangerous and serious issue and you won't realise how serious till it happens.Then this part is theoretical, but let's assume your in an area which I have been multiple times SW of Tamworth and radar has no idea where you are? They can't help you either.

Believe me when this happens, the most high priority thing you will do is re-study all those onerous manual calculations and dead reckoning.

Im am in agreeance that iPad flying is far safer than dead reckoning. however when technology glitches , like it inevitably does, you better damn well know how to dig yourself out of that luxurious hole in a hurry.

that's why I bought bushwheels. in all seriousness, it's not like when you are using a GPS you have no idea where you are. It's also not as if, if you are near or in controlled airspace and you are out of options, you can't just call up and ask for help. I've flown all over the country and can't think of one scenario when a total GPS failure would have bothered me to the point of fearing for my life. I get why DR navigation was so important in the day, but come on, it's 2016..... And besides, if that really was a complete no no, then what about IFR when you are relying on a bunch of devices that could very well fail. Does that mean we shouldn't fly IFR at all? Long story short, I'd rather take my chances on my 5 GPS devices simultaneously failing and simultaneously being both over an area where I couldn't make a precautionary landing if needed and an area with no radar coverage than have to keep up with all this whizz wheel rubbish.

**disclaimer...I have to do a flight test next week so am currently in the process of re learning all of this whizz wheel rubbish**

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Anybody know if any good online tutorials for the Jeppesen CR-2 whizz wheel? I have the manual but it is surprisingly vague. And most you tube tutorials etc are for other models of flight computer.

Hey, I have the same flight computer. I'll attach the manual I have, which is pretty good. The other thing I can suggest to to get a copy (current or old) of the Bob Tait navigation textbook. It has whole sections for the diferent things you need it for.

http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/ProductDocs/cr-instructions.pdf

Just a quick personal experience note - early in my training days I got the E6B flight computer - big solid metal thing, that is pretty neat, but completely un-practical in the cockpit. Just got my CR-2 (pock size) and went through the manual last night - the wind calculations are a bit more involved, but nothing too scary, and 1-in-60 type calculations are a doddle. Will need to spend a bit more time getting the process down, but certainly looking forward to being able to use it instead of trying to do mental calculations in the cockpit. One downside is the size of the numbers on the scale, as the eyesight is not as great as it use to be ...

Just out of curiosity mnewbery, what do you use to mark the plastic - I've tried various 'B' pencils and only get a faint dot - wondering if chinagraph is the way to go.

Have adopted the erasable pens for map marking - produce a much more distinctive line than pencil - though not sure how they would go on plastic ...

• 2 weeks later...

I'd recommend having a look at Bob Taits suite of subject manuals for the PPL and CPL exams. I haven't read the PPL suite, but the CPL Nav manual covers in great detail how to use these (from memory, it actually has instructions for two versions).

Worth having a look at. You'll learn how to Navigate at a CPL level too.

• Like 1