Corvair flat six, 2700cc, 100HP Aviation conversion?

Has any one out there had personal experience with the reliability (or otherwise) of the abv engine in an experimental aircraft? Am deliberating on whether to rebuild a failed unit here but only see American comment on the internet. Any info or details leading to discussion with any Oz operators would be much appreciated. cheers Riley

Has any one out there had personal experience with the reliability (or otherwise) of the abv engine in an experimental aircraft? Am deliberating on whether to rebuild a failed unit here but only see American comment on the internet. Any info or details leading to discussion with any Oz operators would be much appreciated. cheers Riley

Bubbleboy is installing one in his pietenpol.

Bubbleboy is installing one in his pietenpol.

Thanks, I'll contact the lad.

if interested I have a mate in kinglake ,vic, who has had a lot of experience with corvair areo conversions

Thanks RHR, If he's agreeable, I'd appreciate his contact details in order to have a natter with him. We won't be pulling the failed Corvair down for a couple of weeks so will wait for the coroner's report before making too many enquiries. cheers

Riley,I have a rebuilt zero time corvair that I may consider selling. PM me if you would like more info.

RE

For some reason, this forum won't allow me to start a conversation (PM) with you. Can you PM me your phone nr & we'll pick up from there? Tks

They are not expensive but the long inlet tract and the one piece heads bridging three cylinders can't be a good point. Then you have to sort out engine mounts etc Being a six it's so much smoother than the flat fours. Nev

• Agree 1

There are two at Watts Bridge near Brisbane. One in a Zenith 601 and the other in a Zenith 750.

Parts are very cheap and in plentiful supply but you will have to import from USA. Plenty of places to order and delivery is usually very fast and at the right price.