Analogue Gauges in Aircraft with Glass

APenNameAndThatA

I've had my Dynon D180 go into a reboot loop at inoportune times, I have a mechanical ASI as backup.

Have flown approach and landing purely on the ASI, also takeoffs.. no drama except if heading off on a cross country.

A few threats to replace it with an MGL and it comes good after a few minutes.

Fantastic answers, thank you all!

I've had my Dynon D180 go into a reboot loop at inoportune times, I have a mechanical ASI as backup.Have flown approach and landing purely on the ASI, also takeoffs.. no drama except if heading off on a cross country.

A few threats to replace it with an MGL and it comes good after a few minutes.

That is a really big deal. The most important gauge.

A cheap etrex, mobile phone or ipad with GPS is enough to give you a ground speed, a look out the window at an air sock in the circuit, and you then have a good guestimate of your airspeed, know your plane and you can fly perfectly well with no analogue/digital back up. You should, with not that much practise be able to land with no instruments at all , unless you are IFR/IMC , the instruments are really only a guide. Perhaps I am lucky because my plane is light, responsive and you can feel by how crisp or mushy the controls are as to your approx. airspeed, and after all is that why we practise slow flight at altitude? To learn how our plane feels and responds.

If you are sideslipping down final all the instruments become a very rough guide only.

I am about keeping it cheap and simple.

• Like 1

I had an issue with backup battery in D180, pins in plug werent making good contact and it reboot once, after several years battery needed replacement

Other than that 500hrs without issues so far

I lost both steam ASI once when IFR departing in IMC, WX was rubbish as there was when one of those east coast lows was hanging around NSW so the winds were about 50kn and lucky it was under reading so no chance of stalling, it just wasn't climbing. Wasn't that big of a deal, GPS still had Ground speed so a quick and very rough calc of the wind vector and fly everything fast. Flew the RNAV in and again luckily it was a long runway so flew it in fast until it said it wanted to land. From memory that was 40-50kn under the normal speed.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1