A380 Crosswind Landing

w3stie

The other thing that makes me think it's dodgy is that from touchdown to crossing the piano keys at the far end of the runway is about 40 secs. Even including the bit where he's bouncing and weaving that's very fast to taxi a couple of kilometres.

So if the video is sped up (and the image is extremely foreshortened) it's going make the lateral movements look like it's happening really fast when it is probably happening quite slowly.

Looks legit to me. I’m no expert but to me the shadows, reflections and the lighting all look consistent...if it is a fake, he paid a lot of attention to the detail.

When you watch a few of these videos, I think you’ll notice that the angle and distance the video is taken seems to exaggerate distance and curvature of the runways..I seem to recall a comment to that effect about such videos.

Ak

• Agree 1

The point is that the curve you are happy to accept in the runway Will also affect the view of the aircraft as it too follows that same curve and that same point on the curved runway.

That "following the curve" gives an apparent swing even though it may be actually tracking straight.

that curve everyone is happy to ignore is the basis for the dismay everyone has, including cries for sacking the pilots and has thrown emirates into a public relations tailspin advising the public their pilots are highly trained, no one was injured and that the airline takes safety seriously.

The exaggerated curve (which seems you have agreed is present), is what I'm saying is the cause of the exaggerated illusion of lateral movement.

You are right there is good attention to detail but that's not the author per se. The video manipulation programs do that intrinsically. It's the program writers that pay attention to detail. It's well worth the clip authors effort to produce a good clip. If you drag the pixels left they take all the pixels, shadows included.

YouTube vids make the poster money per click and Cargospotter has had 7.6 million hits in 3 days and is now claiming to being pursuing legal redress against at least 1 other site who have on-posted his video and several tv stations for running his videos without permission.

I've viewed a lot of early Hongkong arrivals Jaba, amongst a lot of others. of complex arrivals. Most use tele lens and cause a shortening effect. If you've flown a large lengthy aircraft weighting over a couple of hundred tons you will know quickly that even leading INTO and EXITING a turn when taxiing has to be done VERY gently so as not to overload the nosewheel and throw passengers around. Once an aeroplane of that size is pivoting about any axis it takes a fair bit of force to start and stop the process. Momentum applies. Compare it with a see saw or a heavy long bar through the handlebars of your pushbike.

The fin and rudder is very large on an A-380, mainly to maintain directional control with both engines out on one side. There's a lot of rotational energy involved in a rapid YAW situation about the C of G. Overcontrol looks to be evident there as well as some unwelcome roll. I hesitate to put it all down to pilot input but if you boot those things around, big forces are involved. I don't think the vid is fiddled with. What happened there CAN happen. Nev

And something else I have just noticed.

The camera is being swung left and right as well. Look at the towers on the horizon.

When the aircraft touches down they are on the left half of the video field.

Ignore where they are compared to the aircraft ( obviously that will change as the aircraft swings) BUT the towers move rapidly left and right in the complete video field and then end up far on the right. The maximal rate of swing is in time and opposite to apparent swing of the aircraft.

The camera is obviously being swung left and right to follow the aircraft. That's fine. Im not saying he's doing it nefariously just saying when you add that illusion to the effect of the hairpinbend in the runway it's going to make the whole orientation look much worse then it is. If it were just foreshortening it would remain in same place or at least same side of the video field and be relatively constant. But This is happening in relationship to the aircraft swing and will maximise the illusion of lateral movement. Not saying I know what the cameramans mindset was - accident or fraud but it will have the outcome effect.

And another thing - I posted on Cargospotters YouTube page asking politely if he had any video where the runway does not have the hairpin bend in the middle and if so could he post it as well.

No surprise my post has been deleted after only 6 hours.

There is certainly foreshortening, but that can't explain the view of one side of the aircraft then the other, or the changes of alignment of nosegear and main gear in relation to the observer. Using the gear you could probably work out exactly what angles were involved.

It does look a bit exciting, it looks like the pilot tried to kick it straight for touchdown but got a bit enthusiastic and didn't account for the rotational inertia of wings and fuselage that size.

You are looking at both sides of the plane. The rudder movements are large and not well coordinated. That's most of the reason it did what it did. The movements are consistent with reactions the control application would cause, and it's a pretty large series of excursions. If I was a passenger in that I would have been $#!tt!ng myself. Nev

• Agree 1

As can be seen in the still above, initial touchdown has the inboard starboard u/c on the centerline. He then jumps so that the outboard port u/c touches the centerline, then back again. Once the full weight of the plane is on the u/c, things normalize, but that initial hop skip and jump is a doozy.

I think this landing does look quite wild but even with less wild landings the camera angle ‘exaggerates’ the lateral movement - like for example videos you often see of bullets as seen from the point of the shooter.