Radio Control Drifter Plans

boleropilot

G'day All, I have just been lent a set of plans for a 1/5 scale 72 inch wingspan Drifter - wire braced but I guess you could build it with struts. The plans are marked Copyright so I am in the process of locating the owner so I can get these copied and circulated to any RCers out there who might be interested. Doesn't look like an easy build but the opportunity for me to fly a copy of my aircraft is too much for me to ignore.

I'll keep ya's posted on (a) the Copyright stuff, and (b) the build. If I can get permission to reproduce the plans we might get a few of these big beasties flying....plans state 40 size 2 stroke but I'll probably go electric.

cheers

BP

I've actually got two of the HK Drifters, the second one bought because I needed parts...dumb thumb syndrome...they fly really well, nice little model

the plans I have are for 72 inch span so in the old money, 6 foot wingspan...that will make it about twice the size of the HK version

first thing to buy will be the 1 inch aluminium tube for the 'fuse', followed by balsa and ply...

as always the really difficult part will be making/sourcing a suitable canopy - twill not be easy

BP

I've actually got two of the HK Drifters, the second one bought because I needed parts...dumb thumb syndrome...they fly really well, nice little modelthe plans I have are for 72 inch span so in the old money, 6 foot wingspan...that will make it about twice the size of the HK version

first thing to buy will be the 1 inch aluminium tube for the 'fuse', followed by balsa and ply...

as always the really difficult part will be making/sourcing a suitable canopy - twill not be easy

BP

I reckon 100 inch would be better but would definitely be interested in a set of plans either way.

wow 100 inch would be a monster but I guess with todays technology you could organise an increase in the plans by 25% or so...

as far as the plans are concerned, I don't want to do anything until I get some kind of decision on the Copyright situation

once that is resolved you would need to talk to the owner of the set of plans I have borrowed for my build

cheers

BP

Go with a 100 inch version, bigger is better for a realistic flying experience. Electric would be easy but quality 2 strokes spark engines are cheap and economy is great. Or do a nice four stroke- love the sound. Could even do electric start if wanted.

Add some pilots with a camera in the head on a servo gimble and get the real pilots view.

Please build one- you know you want to....100_please.gif.949e2e206eec86a38da5ded479a041cb.gif

Where did the owner get them from?

Actually I have no idea, it wasn't mentioned and I didn't ask - I'm assuming he bought them many moons ago, I'll ask him - they look quite old and the person who drew them states he used a full size Drifter for measurementsthey were drawn by a K. Freeman and the Copyright is owned by Samarai Investments, address is (was) 90 Salerno Street, Isle of Capri, Qld, 4217.

Samarai Investments is no longer a registered company, and the last time the Isle of Capri property was sold was 2014. I will send a letter to the address asking if they have any contact details.

I've looked at K. Freeman on White Pages and there is a hundred of 'em, I don't fancy going through that lot

I've made it clear I intend to do the right thing by the Copyright owner, I would love to get copies of these plans to others but until the Copyright thing is resolved that can't happen

As far as I can figure out Copyright stays the possession of the owner for 50 years or so, and if the owner cannot be found nothing can be done until the time frame is up

If the owner is deceased I believe ownership passes to a family member, even if it is not mentioned in the Will - if that person cannot be found, again, nothing....

Anybody know the absolute facts about Copyright in Oz ???

BP

Samarai was the parent company of Airborne magazine, which is now defunct.

The rights to the plans were purchased by Wolf Models. If you go to their website, click on “Airborne Plans”, then open page 4 of that listing, you will see the Drifter plan is still available for $33.00. I haven’t had plans printed for probably 20 years but I doubt you would be able to get them copied for much less.

hey thanks for the info guys, much appreciated - I've emailed Wolf to ask the price of laser-cutting a kit for me, they mention on their website that they do that for plans they have in stock

if it turns out they want a minimum order for that, just wondering if anyone else would be willing to put their hand up - I'd buy two anyway but if we can get the number up it's bound to be cheaper

btw I love the fact that I'll be able to cover the 1/5 Drifter with the same colours as 0455...looks like a G46 brushless motor will do the job, and I just happen to have a spare

cheers

BP

hay winsor, tell us more about the Aeroflyte situation...

I'd be interested in a short kit.

Regarding Aeroflyte...they call it AeroFlight...as they must not have gotten the name in the purchase...but...they already produce Brolga sailplane and Hustler mk3 kits...and I am told the next one will be a control line. The bloke who is behind it is called Brian Simpson and he owns Perth RC Models and Hobbies. It's early days yet but lets hope they keep the dream alive. You can find a lot of the plans and files on facebook here--->Log in to Facebook | Facebook

Aeroflyte brings back memory’s of fun with collected money. Had a control line mustang for a 12th birthday present from my dad. Never flew it but loved building it. Was the beginning of the end for me with the aviation bug. Wish I still had all of my collection including the cox e-z-bee.

hey thanks for the info guys, much appreciated - I've emailed Wolf to ask the price of laser-cutting a kit for me, they mention on their website that they do that for plans they have in stockif it turns out they want a minimum order for that, just wondering if anyone else would be willing to put their hand up - I'd buy two anyway but if we can get the number up it's bound to be cheaperbtw I love the fact that I'll be able to cover the 1/5 Drifter with the same colours as 0455...looks like a G46 brushless motor will do the job, and I just happen to have a spare

cheers

BP

hay winsor, tell us more about the Aeroflyte situation...

good idea - will look into itthanksBP

GDAY BOLEROPILOT IM INTERESTED WHEN YOU GET IT ALL TOGETHER CAN YOU EMAIL ME PLEASE REGARDS KERMIT [email protected]