Dynon D1 Fatal Error

Ilevil BOM :) Mine works well on my ipad

I had never heard of this until you wrote about this just now, Mark. I have had a bit of a look around and it looks pretty good. Here is a byDanJohnson interview with a Levil team member about the BOM product:

This sort of thing has the very real potential to put expensive alternatives such as Dynon, Garmin etc. out of business.

I am trialling mine on the girlfriend at the moment as I am looking at putting it in Mabel. Two ipads in the dash holders and a analogue ASI. Its a bummer the ipad will not work with the EIS engine monitor as all that will come up on the app for Ilevil as well. But the Ipad doesnt take serial in where the Ilevil SW series boxes do and the engine data would be on the full ipad. I am sure I saw a serial adaptor for the Ipad so I found a link and sent it to Ilevil but maybe they cant get it to work. So I will probably use a MGL Xtreme EFIS I have as a EMS for the engine and that gives me another backup anyway.

I am trialling mine on the girlfriend at the moment as I am looking at putting it in Mabel. Two ipads in the dash holders and a analogue ASI. Its a bummer the ipad will not work with the EIS engine monitor as all that will come up on the app for Ilevil as well. But the Ipad doesnt take serial in where the Ilevil SW series boxes do and the engine data would be on the full ipad. I am sure I saw a serial adaptor for the Ipad so I found a link and sent it to Ilevil but maybe they cant get it to work. So I will probably use a MGL Xtreme EFIS I have as a EMS for the engine and that gives me another backup anyway.

I have heard of someone who had serial input to Samsung Galaxy tablet using a dongle and a Bluetooth connection (for a non-aviation purpose). I would be pretty certain there must be something like this for the iPad as well.

Mine was originally mounted under the wing but I have since shifted it to the main wing strut similar to what Dan has done for his. Under the wing was too flexible[ATTACH=full]61589[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]61590[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]61591[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]61592[/ATTACH]

Those pictures are good. I think it looks better mounted on the strut.

Being that close does it interfere with the air flow? Will the turbine spin just as quickly? Will the accuracy be the same?

• 1 year later...

Well, it's been nearly 2 years since the Dynon D1 died. I had some correspondence with Dynon USA. It was "out of warranty" from the day we bought it as it had been superseded by the D2, but Mr FV wanted a D1. Initially they said they couldn't help, but later for $450 USD + freight they would "see what we can do". That went down to $300 USD, but no guarantee they would waste any effort on it. There was no indication of the outcome of the 2013 case with a similar problem.

He's taken the D1 around to various "IT experts" who either wouldn't touch it or gave it back with a "sorry, can't help"

Today he gave up and we have bought a Garmin G5 from Pacific Aviation - apart from reading the User Manual and watching lots of YouTube, a big selling point was Australian support. Hoping we don't need it. In a few months, we'll post more, that depends on when we can go flying again.....

Meanwhile, anyone who thinks they can resurrect the D1 - happy to post it to you to keep. Many have tried .....:throw pc:

Sue

Well, it's been nearly 2 years since the Dynon D1 died. I had some correspondence with Dynon USA. It was "out of warranty" from the day we bought it as it had been superseded by the D2, but Mr FV wanted a D1. Initially they said they couldn't help, but later for $450 USD + freight they would "see what we can do". That went down to $300 USD, but no guarantee they would waste any effort on it. There was no indication of the outcome of the 2013 case with a similar problem.

He's taken the D1 around to various "IT experts" who either wouldn't touch it or gave it back with a "sorry, can't help"

Today he gave up and we have bought a Garmin G5 from Pacific Aviation - apart from reading the User Manual and watching lots of YouTube, a big selling point was Australian support. Hoping we don't need it. In a few months, we'll post more, that depends on when we can go flying again.....

Meanwhile, anyone who thinks they can resurrect the D1 - happy to post it to you to keep. Many have tried .....:throw pc:

Sue

What price was it. Thanks

The D1 was $1,475 AUD, which was $200 more than advertised; another thing that left a sour taste. The Supplier's advert on the RAA magazine didn't change for months after we rang and were told the price had gone up / advert was a misprint etc. Later found out this was an oft used ploy by this mob. So a charge of $450 USD (presently $750 AUD) plus freight and no assurances, even though they had seen this problem before. We were throwing good money away on outdated tech.

The price of the G5, with optional battery back-up is on the Garmin, Pacific Aviation site. They have stock in Australia.

Ouch 5K...then again it is certified...so the unit would normally sell for $1500 the $3500 is the slip of paper saying its certified...bloody GA ripoff as usual

Look under "Experimental" for the NON-certified version. Under $3k AUD including optional battery. My next adventure is to convince him to finally sign up for OzRunways. He is getting better at driving his iPad and 10 years ago would have flatly refused to have anything to do with tech that wasn't steam powered. He spent the weekend reading the User & installation Manuals and watching everything on YouTube, and decided today, that it was all he wanted and more. It arrives Friday.

yes maybe 3K for the non certified but really should be $1500 aussie for whats in them. Sue I have both at the moment Avplan and Ozrunways....they are very similar but I think the current version of OZ has too many popup options and Avplan seems to be better in that regard..both work very similar and I find the screen redraws on the Ipad with Avmap faster than Oz runways. I have used Oz for a long time but leaning towards Avplan now. So I have 2 subscriptions to see what I prefer. The other advantage of Avplan is the std version does the ADSB in where on OZ you have to have the premium one for ADSB in..The Avplan works better too on The ADSB

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

[ATTACH alt=Dynon fatal error.jpg]35970[/ATTACH]

The Dynon stopped working mid flight with this message. Turning on/off and trying to upload an update didn't achieve anything. Searched the Dynon Forum to find someone else had this problem in 2013 which Dynon thought was a hardware problem. I sent them an email:-

Hello from Australia.

I have a D1. Yesterday it stopped working and showed this screen. I could not dismiss it. The flight continued OK, but on the ground I could not solve it. I downloaded the update to a 32MB SD card, installed till it clicked, but it would not pick it up, it was a used Card, so I am going to buy a new one to try that. This screen continues to show shortly after turning on.

I looked at the discussion forum to see a similar problem Dynon Avionics Forum - D1-Startup problem which looked like a hardware problem, but that was from 2013. Is there any solution?

Dynon Support replied:- If the update doesn't fix it I am afraid there isn't much to do. We no longer have parts for the D1 and likely can not fix it. If you want we can get it back here to see if we can get it going, just can't promise we can fix it.

As Dynon are in the USA we have not tried sending it back. Anyone with any ideas?

Sue

No more watching ‘Home and Away’ while flying!