Two people dead after falling from plane in NSW skydiving incident

"Two people die after falling from plane" is a classic piece of bumbling journalism. It makes it sound like two passenger just accidentally fell out of the aircraft.

What they should have put, is that a skydiving instructor and his student, died when the tandem jump they were carrying out, went wrong, and the parachutes failed to open. 

I'm saddened to hear that two more young men in the prime of their lives have lost their lives. I guess we can only wait for the report, to find out what went wrong during the jump.

On 27/06/2021 at 8:41 PM, onetrack said:

I guess we can only wait for the report, to find out what went wrong during the jump.

I wonder if there will be one OT. A 10,000 jump instructor friend of mine was killed in a somewhat similar tandem jump at Wilton in 2017 and I have never been able to find any authoritative report. Or does the Coroner sometimes take this long to investigate such accidents?

• Like 1

Photos on dz.com show the incident (they were hugup on exit and fell from low level while trying to clear the problem) with a description from those who witnessed it.

APF do comprehensive reports.

4 hours ago, Captain said:

I wonder if there will be one OT. A 10,000 jump instructor friend of mine was killed in a somewhat similar tandem jump at Wilton in 2017 and I have never been able to find any authoritative report. Or does the Coroner sometimes take this long to investigate such accidents?

Sometimes longer, sometimes just slips the report in the rack and that's where it stays. I've been waiting for one where a truck driver was killed when he connected the brakes on an old model truck, where compressed air pushes the park brakes on to an new trailer where compressed air pushes the trailer brakes off. Pretty important for a solution to be found for the industry, but not on the prioity list for the State Coroner.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1