Upholsterer recommendations Sydney area

7 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

Yes. In the words of my consulting engineer "95% complete, 30% to go"

I saw the add, looks good. Don't weigh it down with to much upholstery or it won't be fast😄

Ooooh! very nice - its provably just the photo but it looks like the passenger gets a flat back.

Q. Memory foam is heavy and 100 mm is particularly heavy.

I am exploring repurposing  front seat cushions (already contoured) from a  number of Japanese cars  ($200-400/pair) - if works just need recovering

Edited by skippydiesel

The memory foam will be contoured to the back so in reality is about half that thickness starts at 100 but takes away 50% of foam, i also purchased a car seat(subaru) and played around with it and so much work involved i binned it, my cushions will be velcro to seats for easy removal. The Contour is a foam specifically for impact on bum

Edited by gareth lacey

Yeah! - I had a ride in a Subaru at the weekend - very comfy seats. 

Why didn't the car seat idea work out ? (might save me a lot of wasted time & $$)

I was given a memory foam mattress - probably a bit thicker than 100mm - heavy as - but sooooper comfy.

So Contour is a name of a product not a description?

Thats right its for seating for impact ,they use it in truck seats and some guys in US have used it in aerobatic planes , company in Northgate qld have it cost of 2 pieces is about 110 $ 1 layer at 30mm and balance in memory foam to suit my butt cheeks lol (approx 75mm with covers) i have ordered pieces so will put some pics up and will weigh it . as for the car seat by the time i remodeled foam and cut opening for stick lost a lot of the seat also the back was to tall, i only paid 50$ from wreckers to try it had to strip a lot of stuff of to get weight down approx weight of seat was 10 kg before stripping and was to high in seat section.

Car front/bucket seat option - Of course there will be remodeling but if the basic construction of the foam is right then it should be possible to trim to shape (including stick hole/slot), get the resultant cushions recovered (professionally) and "Bobs your Uncle" - OR is this just fantasy?

Qld wreckers would seem to be more $ reasonable than the greedy Greater Sydney tribe.

Back to "Contour" cushion - sounds like you had at least the bottom/base cushion built to your particular dimensions - is this correct?

How did you determine the correct (for you) thickness of foam for best visibility ?

Correction " Confor"  is 30mm shock absorbing  foam  cut to my dimensions approx 480x600 for seat layered with memory foam to 75 thickness overall height of seat bottom cushion as for the back i am getting contoured similair to the subaru seat but not as high 1 quote here was about 1000$ to recover with my foam shapes in cloth have since been told of a retired chap who for cash does at a much better price and in faux leather and as for getting size for visibility its the same as the RV6a that i owned except for the back, i will let you know how i go with the upholsterer cost ( we might get a better deal for 2 sets ) cheers gareth

4 hours ago, gareth lacey said:

Correction " Confor"  is 30mm shock absorbing  foam  cut to my dimensions approx 480x600 for seat layered with memory foam to 75 thickness overall height of seat bottom cushion as for the back i am getting contoured similair to the subaru seat but not as high 1 quote here was about 1000$ to recover with my foam shapes in cloth have since been told of a retired chap who for cash does at a much better price and in faux leather and as for getting size for visibility its the same as the RV6a that i owned except for the back, i will let you know how i go with the upholsterer cost ( we might get a better deal for 2 sets ) cheers gareth

Hmmmm ! $1k for a recovering sounds very steep. I had my existing foam seats, on my last aircraft, recovered in very nice leather (the real stuff - not a painted finish, like most upholstery leather), as per old English sports car style for $700  for the pair (6 years ago).

Faux leather can be superior to the real deal - Mercedes had a leather look alike upholstery product they called MBTec in some of their lower end sedans. It was so good a lot of people thought it was leather. Turned out to be longer lasting more breathable (for the body) than leather.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Have just invested in some Clark Rubber foam;

Charcoal gray/black, 50 mm thick - very firm for the bum

Sort of creamy white, 70 mm thick, for the back - bit softer for the back.

Feels great - will leave as is, until W& B & flight testing completed. Will probably have covers in lightweight leather.

• Like 1