damiens

What happened with the MTOW change for RAAus

On 5/20/2018 at 12:24 PM, Kyle Communications said:

So for example I am looking at a Rans S21  its design weight is 820kg even though I would fly it at 760kg MTOW its will not be allowed.

Would it be hard for RANS to specify 760 Kg for Aussie kits?

Possibly not as it is a registered design..the S20 raven is 1320lbs which is 600 kg

Edited by Kyle Communications

46 minutes ago, Downunder said:

Would it be hard for RANS to specify 760 Kg for Aussie kits?

I suspect it is more complicated than simply writing it in the pilot manual. 

Jabiru 430s are rated in Australia at 700 kg. But in other places (South Africa I think) they are rated for 760 kg. Exact same aircraft. 

I had heard that Jabiru would increase the weight with a letter or something  if you asked them. So I did. 

No such luck. Apparently they have not got the ability to just write a note and do it. Have to jump through hoops which I interpreted includes more testing and re-present all the data to  someone here in Oz. CASA I would guess and of course it all costs money. 

Niw id guess there’s less cost to go down in weight rather than up  but I doubt it would be free. 

So I would guess Rans or anyone else is unlikely to spend $ on doing something that probably won’t see any economic return. 

The airlines are able to increase / decrease the MTOW in some of their aircraft types simply by changing a placard. This alters the charges by the airport operators, the airlines only need higher weights for long haul sectors and lighter ones for domestic ops. There’s a precedent worth investigating.