A Fun Question

Admin

Just out of fun say you were a passenger on a commercial flight, a Boeing 767 from Sydney to Melb.

Something happens to the Cap't and first officer and they can't fly the plane.

Your the only one on the aircraft that has any flying experience so you jump in the seat and through the help of ATC you end up flying and landing the plane (hey, I said a "fun" question :big_grin:)

Say it was an hour from the time you took over to the time you turned the engines off at the terminal.

Even though you didn't hold a valid licence, could you put in your log book 1hr Pilot in command Boeing 767 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif 006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif ??????????????? - you know, right after all the Jabiru, Gazelle etc entries

Guest pelorus32

You've been day dreaming again Ian. Stand near an open window and take deep breathes of the cool air :clown:

I've got some C172 time in my log book even though I don't have a GA license and I understand from the CFI at the time that that is fine. Not PIC obviously.

Therefore following the same logic I reckon you could get your book out and write it down.

A mate who flew heavies a lot told my daughter to always write the unusual in her book as well - engine outs, flaps malfunctions and so on. He said it's good to look back on.

Regards

Mike

Crikey guys, I said it was a fun question 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif...head up in the clouds geez - reminds me of that advert on tv for some car with the guy flying - I only wish - imagine, no more hangars, no more 100hourlies etc etc etc.

Actually the 747 was the very first aircraft that you could sit on threshold of a runway in Sydney, press some buttons etc and it would take off and land at Melbourne even apply reverse thrust without the pilot touching the controls.

Ok, so let's make this a bit more interesting...show me where it says what I can and can't put in my log book and if I can or can't put my 767 ride in it - given these circumstances ...cause if I can't put it in my log book then I aint gonna fly the darn thing, they can get someone else to do it 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

A group of us, recently, were fortunate enough to be able to spend some time in the Ansett Simulator in Tullarmarine. One of the guys who successfully managed to land the Boeing (can't remember the type) was greeted with the remark "just goes to prove, if you can fly a Jab you can fly anything!" This guy is an RA CFI and flying Jab160s. :thumb_up:

Hey, if Mr Bean/Rowan Atkinson can land a light aircraft in an emergency, Ian can land an airliner!

I have full faith in his abilities!

He has Flight Sim X ;>

Guest basscheffers

Mythbusters did an episode on just this not too long ago!

Time for a full motion simulator at NASA...

Both of them had never piloted a plane before and first attempt was with no help at all. They failed miserably. Then they tried again, this time with a very experienced instructor talking them down but without able to see their instruments, only seeing what ATC would see on radar and the rest from talking to them.

You know what? They landed it on the runway MANUALLY! Everyone would have walk away. It sounds too good to be true, but this is mythbusters, they take what they do serious.

Of course in a talk afterwards, the guy said if this had been a real situation he would have had them key in some things into the a/p and press the 'app' button - just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Guest Cloudsuck

Ian,

This is how it would go down for me....

1. I land the plane and log the time as PIC.

2. I get an infringement notice from CASA.

3. I fight it in court and win because it was an extraordinary emergency.

4. The media pick up the story and I am deemed a hero.

5. The Mayor gives me the keys to the city at a civic reception.

6. Jennifer Hawkins sees it on TV and calls me.

7. Jennifer and I go to lunch and hit it off straight away.

8. Jennifer and I marry in the US and she becomes Jennifer Hawkins-Cloudsuck.

9. The reception is held at the ZIVCO factory.

10. My wife Jennifer buys me an Edge 540 as a wedding present.

11. One day while out dong aerobatics, a talent scout spots me and I'm accepted as a Red Bull race pilot.

12. I win the world title and live very happily ever after.

Well you did say FUN question.... ;)

Cloudsuck, Logic tells me that at 5.37am (the time of your post) you were probably asleep. At that stage of sleep, just before wake up time, you must have been dreaming! Two things. Firstly, it's time to wake up and smell the coffee and secondly, please send me the name of your medication. :thumb_up: :thumb_up:

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif 006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif - but Cloudsuck - the all important question - "Did CASA allow you to keep it in your log book or did they make you go and buy some white out?

Wow Cloudsuck - you have been discovered. :thumb_up:

Now get yer butt over to the Never Ending Story and give us some more FUN. :big_grin::big_grin:

regards

:big_grin::big_grin:

PS - that goes for you too, K-man.

Ian....even if Clodsuck wasnt allowed to keep the entry in his log book im sure our Jen would be there to lend a shoulder and make up for it! Being the good aviation supportive wife of course!

Scotty :thumb_up:

Guest Cloudsuck

Ian, I did get to keep my 1 hour PIC log book and CASA were ordered to pay me 100k for pain and suffering which I used to buy fuel for the edge.

K-man, I woke up at 8:38 to find my Edge 540 was a Tecnam Sierra and my wife well... she wasnt Jenifer Hawkins-Coudsuck 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

I'm sure that your wife is every bit as charming as Jennifer Hawkins and actually I'm quite taken by the Tecnam Sierra (even more so if it didn't have all those rivets poking up all over it!) so there you go, life's good and since it's now bedtime again I shall look forward to reading your next mind bending instalment in the morning. keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

Cloudsuck, thanks for the pills mate. I couldn't understand your directions so I figured if one was good, two would be better so I took all three. Anyway, I was coming back from Hong Kong when there was this big bang, like an oxygen bottle exploding. I had been upgraded from cattle class to business class so was sitting just back from the cockpit. Smoke filled the compartment, the oxygen masks came down and the plane depressurised. As you could imagine there was pandemonium. Well the smoke cleared a little and I saw that the cockpit door had blown open and the crew were slumped all over the place. I managed to get forward, pull the captain to one side and get into the command seat. I tried to make a mayday call but the radios were damaged. Fighting to remain conscious I brought the plane down to about 15,000'. I must have fought for the best part of an hour to keep the plane in the air but eventually I just had to ditch. The plane broke up but miraculously the cockpit remained out of the water wedged on a reef only about 30 metres from this tropical island. Well I thought I was the only survivor but just as I was about to leave the aircraft I heard this moan coming from the first class area above. I struggled through the wreckage and there was .... .

Cloudsuck, send more pills quick!!

PS. Ian, can I claim the hour in the log even though I pranged the plane? i_dunno