Are you really a skilled pilot?

Guest Michael Coates

Yes, but its so well done !! They just need to fix the landing roll a little and then it would be really excellent !!

If this really happened how come it never made it into the media, nor did it get int Aviation web sites with any info? Foe me to believe it I need to know where, when, who was the pilot and why hasn't it appeared in aviation safety magazines.

After looking at it again I see that it appears to be a German video, but there is no registration visible on the plane. As far as I know all of the European states have their registration in large letters on the side of the fuselage.

Ah Ian,

Surely your not going to spoil a good story.

If I told you the pilot learned how to do it in Silver City Airways Bristol 170 out of Manston, would you believe it then?;) Because rumor has it that some good pilots come from that area.

Regards

Alan

That video is undoubtedly a complete fake...... Have a look at the 500+ comments on this link

The clinching evidence has to be that segment of the low level knife edge. The perspective doesn't change at all as the aircraft travels along - to get that view the camera would have to be following along at the same speed as the aircraft. Lots of other clues in there as well, as pointed out by some of the comments from professional computer graphics and video experts. Sure fooled a lot of us tho...... And succeeded in attracting lots of attention for the advertiser - over 1.3 million viewings just on the U-Tube site alone!

But what is one to believe in future??? It's really disillusioning.............

JohnG

Guest Maj Millard

I have always used Neil Williams landing in the Zlin as one of three best examples of great flying. The second was the Crusader jet that was catapulted accidently off a carrier at night, in the Medeteranian, with the wings still folded. It flew fine with lots of power, but the pilot couldn't eject because of the wings folded behind him. He landed back at a land base in Scilily, and there is a great photo of the jet taxing in, still with the wings folded.

My third example is the high-wing twin-engined british freighter aircraft of the late fifties. A test pilot was conducting a foward GC load test. As they had overdone the load, he was unable to flare even with the yoke held back in his lap. Impact on the grass runway was so solid it shook both engines off the wings, and being now much lighter the aircraft leaped back into the air !. Now the GC is decidedly rearward, and the pilots' now got the yoke on the panel, to maintain control. He made a safe landing shortly after, just beyond the two radial engines laying in the grass. 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

• 2 weeks later...

The Neil Williams / Zlin feat is, no question - one of flyings' truly great instinctive reactions.

One noted WA pilot used to join the JT circuit, inverted, in a Pitts, only rolling level on finals - something of a tribute to Neil Williams - who did it in an aircraft which was going to go totally out-of-control once it rolled level. ( This was back in the early 70's - when things were much more relaxed in the wild west!).

happy days,

I saw Neil fly quite a few times in the year that I spent in the UK and regardless of whether it was a display or not, Zlin or Pitts, never saw him fly anything other than a standard circuit. "something of a tribute" - nope, I don't believe that.