Zenith CH-701 thread

eightyknots

Hi Geoff have you the latest planes and cd from Zenith? On the cd the progresive photos of the fella building his 701 it shows how he has gone all around the L angles with a crimping tool and put tension in the rear fus good or bad idea do you think?

Hi Phil l don't have the CD l don't know why they would do that not sure of the benefits l know l put crimps on the radius not on flat surface.

Put my main spring on today so l could wheel it around l had to clean up my shed sick of tripping over stuff l have to many projects on the go l am doing a rebuild on my 912 it had a broken oil ring its done 351 hrs no 1 cylinder wasn't running properly so l have completely striped the motor down new piston and rings new seals also l am putting a gear box on with a slipper clutch taking of the standard .

Putting wing tanks in and putting the slat attachment plates back on so l have to un pick the skins .

Heaps of work to keep me busy.

cheers Geoff.

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have got some work ahead of you,picks are handy for me to look at, if I could copy the cd I will send you one theres a lot of info on it. I should have orderd a set of plans when I purchased the plane, it had the very early plans but there has been alot of upgrades since then.Going to order new cabels this week, do you get your gear from aircraft spruce or Zenith? Cheers Phil

Hi Phil l have the 2003 plans if that's any help, l would like the CD let me know what l owe you you can PM me for details .

l have got my bits from Zenith l am going to order some brakes soon from Aircraft Spruce haven't made up my mind which way to go yet .

What plans do you have .

cheers Geoff.

PIC_0175.JPG.a5d64c518d6598f6e3245bdb9a399370.JPG

Hi Geoff I have the latest and the early plans with the fuel tank on your lap will tray to make a copy fo the CD tonight, did you have alook at the Photo of the rear of the fus what do think?

Hi Phil the right side of the fus looks bent out and there is no stiffner at the rear l have doublers in that area.

will take pics so you can compare.

cheers Geoff.

PIC_0179.JPG.423439e14921b252ec4d37511c0fcc36.JPG

Hi Geoff thanks for the photos, may be i need your phone number to explaine a bit better regarding the fus I am the slowest typer in the country cheers Phil

Hi phil l will PM you my details.

cheers Geoff.

Hi Geoff thought I would take the 701 out of the shed for a airing so I can clean the shed, sick of triping over everything.I finished the bottom bearing I hope. What have you done for a seal around the steering push rods? Mine is an aluminium slide its very noisey mates Savannah is rubber i think .If you need any up dates from my latest plans I can scan and email them to you cheers Phil

001.jpg.876540323e92e5d3b8a6f980ff5e1363.jpg

002.jpg.69152b64cee7b1672e97a86b11942c41.jpg

003.jpg.556ea1eb04fe3c288b277090c2d069d6.jpg

004.jpg.824adbe3774fb5a599b605190f75d6b6.jpg

Hi Phil the bottom bearing looks good do you have a bearing on top of the nose leg ,the whole air craft is coming along nicely your a bit more advanced that mine .

What stops the top of the nose leg hitting your engine mount tubes ..

l changed the joy stick today l have put a savannah controls on l think they are a lot better than the 701s and installed my headed tank also off a savannah l have started to install the savannah wing tanks it will be half 701 and half savannah l will have to change its name.savy701.

l am looking for a rubber boots to put on the steering rods l don't like the slide .

What size tyres do you have on .

cheers Geoff.

Hi Geoff my tyres are 8.00 x 6, my top bearing of the nose wheel is bolted up underneath, I need to weld a stop ring on my nose leg which I'll do shortly. Let me know if you find rubber boots that will fit, I might put them on my plane. Will drill a hole in the channel for the bungy cord, an inch lower than the one that was already there, hopefully that will put enough tension on the bungy cord. Cheers Phil.

Hi Phil

What is the distance from the bottom plate to the center of the bungee hole and what is the diameter of your bungee ring.

l will let you know if l find some boots .

cheers Geoff.

Hi Geoff the original hole what I had was whats on the plan which is 160 mm from bottom plate and the bungee is part no 1080 when you sqeeze the bungee together and measure inside you should get 12 inches which i have so I have put two new channel doublers on out of heavier metal and going to drill a hole between the bottom 4 rivets and hope it works. I spoke to Alan from Zenith Aus long time ago he had no answers because all my measurements are wright he said get a new bungee made up, its driving me mad will take some more photos tomorrow

Hi Phil

Mine is 160 mm from the plate to the center of the hole and my new bungee is 12 inches not sure why you aren't getting the tension but mine nose leg is off a 750 and is 30mm higher on the bungee attatcment tubes ,mine is real tight l just hope it is not to tight .

cheers Geoff.

Hi Geoff just done another measurement my nose leg is spot on as the plans 135mm from top of leg to centre of bungee posts and 160 from the bottom plate dont no whats going on, very frustrated cheers Phil

1185572066_plane001.jpg.57adf4842157a553bfec6e865cec7f94.jpg

Hi Phil how old is the bungee might have stretched, has to be a reason.

removed all the rivets from the leading ledge skin today to replace the slat brackets and cut a hole in the top skin to fit the fuel tank.

going to run a wire so l can put strobes on the wing tips also.

cheers Geoff.

Hi Geoff bungee is brand new from Zenith .Changed ends tonight trying to replace seat stiffner 7f6-5 had to replace it ,but no way is the new one going to go back easy cant see how i can get it back with out cutting it in half.Do you think i could put a sleave to join it cant see how i can do it with out dismantleing heaps.Some happy snaps of your wings with the leading edge off would be great. cheers Phil

Hi EK you have a lot of knowledge on these aircraft you must do a lot of study, do you know of the upgrades for the wings l cant see any improvements on my plans that aren't already on the wings .

cheers Geoff.

Hi Geoff had to take it out, previous owner had put a kink in it.Made up a sleeve so heading out to the shed see if i can get it in before tea if you look at the Zenith website they have a listing of all the upgrades you mite find something thanks for the pics Cheers Phil

Hi Geoff all done,L2 and L4 add a look long time ago both said to replace it but what i no now i would have done what you said.Just comparing the old and new plans on pages7v3 to 7v8 small chainges would it be worth asking Zenith about upgrades ?Cheers Phil