Guess the plane

Guest Pioneer200

Guest Decca

I think you're right Tomo.

A vastly improved development of the original. They lost the tailwheel for a start. And I like the verandah around the First Class Lounge.

But still, no HiHos, not the easy challenge I was expecting. I'm disappointed in Facthunter too - I think he's older than me.

While It keeps nagging at me, can you keep up with the clues? I don't even know which ministry it was. Maybe I'm not as old as I thought!

:cool:Regards from Decca.

Hihosland. That looks like a General Aircraft Fleet Shadower. Designed to shadow German battleships. It is amazing that the Poms could design something so ugly, when they also designed one of the most beautiful aircraft The DH Comet.

Yes Yenn;

you got one of the planes and Facthunter was on the right track with the Pobjoy engines.

The two aircraft are the General Aircraft Limited GAL 38, and the Airspeed 39.

I have posted an article about these two, which also includes some info on the Pobjoy engines and their designer and a reference to the author Neville Shute's involvement in one of these deigns

cheers

Davidh

Now that is a TU-95 Bear. It has Contra-rotating Propellers and if you see a picture of on of these props in flight, the blades are almost in a 'Feathered' blade angle. They are taking huge chunks of air !!

Guest pelorus32

And a Bear:hug: for you Chrisso. Have to make it more difficult next time.

Now that is a TU-95 Bear. It has Contra-rotating Propellers and if you see a picture of on of these props in flight, the blades are almost in a 'Feathered' blade angle. They are taking huge chunks of air !!

Guest pelorus32
oop's I was wrong. Its a Pacific Aerospace P750XSTOL. A later version of the FU24 - bigger engine etc.

Yeah,

ever so nearly right. Your first guess was wide. PAC made three main models, starting with the Fletcher, then the Cresco then the 750XL. This is a 750XL. The original Fletchers had reciprocating engines, though some of the later ones had P&W, but more commonly Walther turbine conversions.

The Cresco and the 750XL are substantially larger "stretched" airframes and both were turbine powered from the start - P&W I think.

Each of them however maintained the distinctive cranked wings or polyhedral.

Great aircraft but heavy as an old truck to fly.

As for the other one...need better than that.

Regards

Mike

Guest drizzt1978

Ok a nice easy one!!

Im feeling left out cause there all too hard...

So try this one!

sam.jpg.d2223a550c37ffd907d9c1b0115f0621.jpg

Ok a nice easy one!!Im feeling left out cause there all too hard...

So try this one!

That's the Hughes XF11 Reconnisance Aircraft. And i think its Howard Hughes himself in the cockpit. This aircraft subsequently crashed although Hughes somehow survived.

Pardon my ignorance, but I have a few photograph's of A/C and would like to contribute to this post. I am logged in but cannot see how to upload them. I am sure its easy, any help would be great.

Chrisso

Guest pelorus32
Miles Gemini, Mike?Decca.

Warm but no cigar

Hint: there's an old joke that it's the only aircraft that changes its name when its crashed!

Guest pelorus32
I think its a Miles Aircraft. Possibly a M11 Whitney

Chrisso,

I did you a disservice. It is in fact a Miles Whitney Straight so you get 9/10s of a cigar!! I missed the Whitney bit in your reply.

Whitney Straight collaborated with the Miles Aircraft Company to design this a/c which was unusual in having a side by side cockpit.

The old joke was that when you pranged it it changed its name - it became the Miles Whitney Bent!

Sorry for missing your answer.

Regards

Mike

Guest pelorus32

This one's easy but it's such a lovely aircraft I couldn't resist. Please excuse my clumsy manipulation but I needed to get rid of the rego. This particular aircraft has an interesting history and I remember seeing it in this paint scheme back in January 1973.

[ATTACH]8145.vB[/ATTACH]

Guessit3.jpg.6598c14dda94a0d89dd5164c3718feb9.jpg

This one's easy but it's such a lovely aircraft I couldn't resist. Please excuse my clumsy manipulation but I needed to get rid of the rego. This particular aircraft has an interesting history and I remember seeing it in this paint scheme back in January 1973.[ATTACH]10171[/ATTACH]

Is that a DH Fox Moth ?