affordaplane

jonp

Hi all,

Just landed here. After many years putting off flying cos i could't justify cost, i've finally come to my senses. RA flying is affordable, and if you are mechanically minded so is building your own a/c. I have the plans for the affordaplane and have just done a rough costing of materials. Airframe and wing structure come to about $3500. This is without all the bells and whistles like covering, engine and instruments paint etc, but if planned carefully it can be built in stageswithout breaking the bank.

As you Aussies say "Have a fair go", ( i'm a Pom by the way,but who cares!)

Guest Wigg

Welcome to the forums jonp I am currently repairing a gazelle its good to see it going together bit by bit. Hope you enjoy the forum they are a very friendly & knowledgable mob on here. Keep us informed on the building of your plane. regards John

Hi jonp,

Welcome to the site, hope you enjoy your time here. the Affordaplane is a pleasent aircraft, I had the pleasure of flying one three years ago while in the USA.

Bob.

Welcome jonp,

I hope you enjoy the site . There is a lot of knowledge in the forums for building and such if you need it. Great site and great people. Let us know how you are progressing and good luck with building the affordaplane. What part of the country is Avondale heights?

Monty

:welcome:jonp,

I was near you last weekend visiting my daughter in Reservoir.

Good luck with the building of an affordaplane, if you decide to go ahead. It's a bit bit more expensive than building a Keil Kraft kit, but more fun in the end.

I'm also a pom from way back 30+yrs, A Womble, in fact, hence my funny nose and glasses.

Rgds

Planey

Hi Jonp,

I'm a Pom as well, so don't let that stop you :big_grin:. Lots more opportunity to fly here in Aus than the UK (although the weather round Melbourne in the last few weeks has been fairly 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif. )

Good luck with building your plane, and keep us posted with progress reports.

Happy Landings

Neil

Neil

Is penfield a club, cos i can't locate it on the interweb. I plan on learning to fly at geelong sports aviators at the end of this year,but a club closer to hand would be ideal.

Jonp

Hi Jonp,

Welcome to Recreational Flying, I look forward to seeing more of your posts & good luck with your flight training.

You may have just introduced me to my first home built aircraft, I purchased the plans and I'm very interested in building one!

-Andrew

andrew,

good to know i'm not alone on the affordaplane here in australia.. I am buildind a data base of suppliers throughout Australia and the U.S. and intend to start building within the next few months, once i have approval from RA-Au.

jonp

Guest rocketman

Any more details on Penfield? I'm moving to Melbourne very shortly (working at Tullamarine) and have a few machines I need to find a home for, Karasport, Cosmos trike and a Magic trike. (then theres all the stuff in the garage that will eventually fly).

Neale.

Guest rocketman

I'm also sitting on plans for the Affordaplane, but probably won't go ahead with them. Liked the Team Airbike better.

Hi Neale (Rocketman) and Jonp (and anyone else interested),

As GraemeK has noted, Penfield is the name of the airfield just north of Sunbury on Settlement Road. More details here :-

Learn to fly at Airsports Flying School, Melbourne, Australia

Typing "Penfield airfield settlement road victoria australia" in Google Earth should get you there.

The flying school based there is called Airsports Flying School - RA only, but all types of aircraft are based at Penfield. The main contacts are Terry and Rod, and I am sure they would be delighted to hear of more people interested in basing themselves there.

Drop me a PM if you want more info.

Cheers

Neil

Hi Neil!

Yes - finally got there last Friday - Terry tells me I hold the record for most cancelled attempts (I think it was 5). And then the following day we got to Colac, so I am slowly getting more experience at the cross country stuff! How is your flying going? Will you be at Penfield in the near future?

Cheers

Neil