Savannah S

DPW

The Savannah already has a better usable weight than a lot of others like it, in that it is fairly light so even at 560kg it still has just as much payload, if you don't burn it all up carrying a plane load of goodies around.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Savannah already has a better usable weight than a lot of others like it, in that it is fairly light so even at 560kg it still has just as much payload, if you don't burn it all up carrying a plane load of goodies around.

The extra 40 kg would be handy to accommodate the extra camping gear in the extended luggage compartment, long range tanks (filled with fuel), an Airmaster prop (which weighs an additional 6.5 kg over the standard prop), a Rotax 914 or a 110 hp Viking engine (and there's another 7kg) and a BRS system. 018_hug.gif.8f44196246785568c4ba31412287795a.gif

I am not aware of the J rudder extension. What was that all about?

It is a copy of the one we built on 7371 and also 7970 http://209.85.120.99/viewphoto.php?id=7398102&nseq=9 this picture shows it pretty clearly, the Savannah J is exactly the same so I ordered mine like these two to get the proper factory designed version.

It is a copy of the one we built on 7371 and also 7970 http://209.85.120.99/viewphoto.php?id=7398102&nseq=9 this picture shows it pretty clearly, the Savannah J is exactly the same so I ordered mine like these two to get the proper factory designed version.

I'd better be going now but I have one more question regarding the J rudder extension. How much larger/longer is this?

The extra 40 kg would be handy to accommodate the extra camping gear in the extended luggage compartment, long range tanks (filled with fuel), an Airmaster prop (which weighs an additional 6.5 kg over the standard prop), a Rotax 914 or a 110 hp Viking engine (and there's another 7kg) and a BRS system. 018_hug.gif.8f44196246785568c4ba31412287795a.gif

When I told Tom I was going to do Airmaster on a 914, he said that is a lot extra investment sticking out the front when I bend it, thanks for the confidence, but he reckons 80 Hp is enough so 100 is more than needed, he has put a viking on his new S though. I am just going to put a ULS on it with a ground adjust Sensenich now I think.

I'd better be going now but I have one more question regarding the J rudder extension. How much larger/longer is this?

about the same as the banana in that photo. I haven't got a link to a good side on picture of the J model, in this http://www.icpnorthamerica.com/linked/savannahjsize.jpg you can see it under the wing.

When I told Tom I was going to do Airmaster on a 914, he said that is a lot extra investment sticking out the front when I bend it, thanks for the confidence, but he reckons 80 Hp is enough so 100 is more than needed, he has put a viking on his new S though. I am just going to put a ULS on it with a ground adjust Sensenich now I think.

I must say, I do like the sounds of the Belgian ULS. The main reason is that the company behind it seems like they're likely to "stick around" for a while. I still have some concerns about the Viking and how long they'll be in business but I'm keeping an open mind at this stage. Next month I hope to view a relatively new Viking installation in an RV aircraft and get the feel of the owner's interaction with the Viking company and his view on the value of the Viking engine. I'm also waiting on Soper (on this Forum) to complete his Viking installation to get another perspective. How is Tom finding the Viking, do you happen to know?

Are you going for the largest ULS motor?

Tom is putting the Viking in his Spirit kit his Sav S kit has a 912 ULS in it. Last I heard he was waiting on the new version ECU for the Viking. I think the engine is on the aircraft now as well. I will update after I have a talk to him later today

Just spoke to Tom. He has been in contact with the factory and apparently it is correct about the 600kg upgrade and should be on the kits as well. So Steve looks like you might have a extra 40kg that will get you more time in the air. Tom says last year ICP did some testing in Germany I think to determin what was required to upgrade it. It has something to do with the wing attachments or some sort of mod. I have asked him to push for more info on the XL as well as he thinks the 600kg will be on them as I think so because there is no difference in these areas between the XL and S versions. If so then I can see a lot of orders for the upgrade kit I know I will order one straight away. Hopefully will get some more info on this soon

Mark

He is still waiting on the ECU for the Viking the engine is in the Spirit. The other Spirit is waiting on a replacement Dynon before it can fly yet