Savannah S

DPW

Howdy Everyone

I'm currently researching the Savannah as the aircraft kit for me and was wondering about the newly launched Savannah S ICP

Are we likely to see it in Oz anytime soon? Are kits available to order yet? Is it likely to be similarly priced to the XL VG?

Cheers

Damian

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damian, the Savannah S will be available as a kit this year sometime. the cost will be about S3000 more expensive than the XL and will not have the extended luggage area for the time being. Nice look though. No difference in performance.

AeroKits.

Guest Maj Millard

Just looking at what appears to be a Savannah S on the Monto poster. Looks to me just like a fancy painted Savvy VG to me. So what does the Savvy S have, that's new and exciting, or is it the same product rebadged ????.......Thanks.....................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif.......

The ICP link in post one explains that Maj, seems to be mainly a cosmetic makeover, ie rounded rear fuselage instead of the right angles we've become used to. Horses for courses, I'm not sure that the Savvy could ever be considered pretty (where's the wooden spoon smilie:laugh:) but she has a certain rugged charm. I suspect I'd rather spend the $3K on a GPS or fuel - but that's just me.

S For Smooth?

Looking at the few available photos, does anyone else but me see the breaks in the fuselage sheets have given way to a smooth finish. The garden shed image might be on the way out!

I would imagine that the rounded fuselage would use less metal and should make the Savannah S a little lighter. But, how about flying performance? Don't the 'slab' sides of Zeniths, Savannahs, Bingos, etc help enhance the plane's stability compared with rounded planes?

Three thousand dollars more and only a small luggage space: is it worth it?

Guest Howard Hughes

What are your thoughts on the 'Vimana', with the tapered wing and electric slats? Would like to hear from some die hard Savannah fans!:thumb_up:

Guest Maj Millard

Marky, Ok what I see is rounded rear fus corners, maybe a bit more work on the cowl streamlining , full-view doors, slick wheel spats, and a fancy paint job. The Savvy VG I ferried late last year had most of that, plus the long-range tanks to boot. Am I missing something ????.....reading the discription on the LCP website pretty much says the same..............................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest milton56

Hi Damian,

I own a VG and am extremely happy with this plane. I built this plane for a purpose so to me all the curves, whistles and bells including the extra cost to me don't add up. Sure the Savvy is not the greatest looking plane but how far do you want to go!

Regards Milton56

Is it worth more than a XL?

While assisting on the Outback Aircraft stand the RAAus northern fly-in at Monto on the weekend I had the opportunity to talk to a lot of people about many things Savannah related. Overwelmingly they agreed that they wouldn't pay more for an S model. The exception was one guy who was a building designer, who said he thought it was worth upto $5000 to him to look that much better.

"The exception was one guy who was a building designer, who said he thought it was worth upto $5000 to him to look that much better."

There is the old adage: "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". The Savannah S appears to have a more 'feminine' look. I think I like the looks of the original Savannah better but that's me. What do others think?

I wonder if the rounded fuselage would use less metal and wouild therefore make the Savannah S a little lighter? Does anyone may have some exact figures on this?

The thing that concerns me the most is flying performance. I read somewhere (perhaps on a Zenith site or forum) that the 'slab' sides of Zeniths, Savannahs, Bingos, etc help enhance the plane's stability compared with rounded planes. Has anyone else come across this theory ...or found this out in practice? HINT: anyone who flies round and square cross-section fuselage planes may care to comment.

I also wonder about the lack of luggage area: is the Savannah S with only a small luggage space worth it for an extra $3,000.00?

In automotive comparison, the original Savannah looks like a real 4WD, which is just right for what it is. The S is trying to look like the pansy 4WD's meant for city use. I like the original much better.

I've done video tuft testing on that square fuselage, and the airflow is much better than you'd expect. Nice clean flow, even at the corners. That rounded shape won't improve speed at all. Construction is so much easier with the square corners. I don't think it will be any lighter because of more complex internal framing.

That's an interesting idea that the slab sides improves stability. It may well be so, because the Savannah is very stable in flight. I regularly fly x-country for hours at a time without touching the stick.

JG

Firstly the building designer seemed to have a regular amount of masculinity, he may also have grown up on rounded airframes.

The lack of extended baggage kits may only be a matter of waiting until one is produced with round corners on the back wall. The square one would be fairly challenging to fit.

Remember that extended baggage areas and long range fuel tanks are probrably more popular in Australia than in Europe. We are only one part of their market.

• 3 months later...
Aerokits flew the first Savannah S (a factory built) last week ready for delivery, apparently very smooth and much quieter. AND no creases in the fuselage sheets. S for smooth!!!

Smoother and quieter maybe, but is it lighter?

• Haha 1

Savannah

I think that the colour scheme makes a differance.I would consider an S model if it was the same price as a VG and flew the same.I would also consider a factory built. (dollar is doing well against the euro) People do go on about the looks and the cruising speed but most of these are jab jockeys trying to justify their choice of aircraft. I quiet often taxi past them to go out flying while they are taking their cowls off yet again to have a tinkering session or change an engine. I have had my VG two years now 85 kts and 150 litres of fuel does it for me and yes I would consider in the future same again.

Dave

Just spoken to my local school owner... 1x Savanah S, Factory certified, colour Blue... on its way to Mackay for flying training... expected delivery is 16 weeks.

May be able to answer some of the questions then.

Yippee!

I would consider an S model if it was the same price as a VG and flew the same.I would also consider a factory built. (dollar is doing well against the euro)

I understand that the Savannah $ (I should have typed Savannah S) is around five thousand dollars more and does not have an extended baggage compartment.

I think that the colour scheme makes a differance.I would consider an S model if it was the same price as a VG and flew the same.I would also consider a factory built. (dollar is doing well against the euro)

Does anyone know whether the Savannah prices have dropped during the last twelve months that the Euro has increasingly become cheaper to us?

• 4 weeks later...