Info on automotive or motorcycle engine conversions for ultralights

Grafor

I have seen a 900cc suzuki m/c engine that produces more torque and response than a rotax for the weight.

I did see a small 4 stroke auto engine done for an ultralight, but have lost the thread.

confused.gifI would like to know if any good motors have been reproduced for small ultralight craft.

The europeans have done some work with the BMW 1200C boxer twin, airflow for cooling flat torque curves, low revs and reliability are the reasons.

Can't help more than this but I saw this motor reproduced for aviation use in a mag a couple of years ago.

Hope this helps.

I would be having a look at the waverunner type engines if you go down that road.

No gearbox to contend with and plenty of horses coming out of 4 strokers.

Dad

I was thinking the same thing riding my GSX750f back from Monto... couldn't find anything online except a really noisy gyro copter in the states... and I can't find that again either.

There are a few options for this, and yes i think the gyro world leads the way in this field, there is a guy in the US doing conversions on the yamaha snow sled engines, 80hp and 110hp i think and there is another type of engine,,,,the Weber???? it might be, somewhere in the 100hp range, this is being tried on the factory type gyro in Europe, of course there is heaps of ea81, ej 22, 25, and some are now trying the 6 cyc ej30 subaru engine, but for around the 25lt + per hour, it only the saving on the engine really.

There are others also, this is just what i can think of off the top of my head.

Actually the honda ST 1100 engine is another engine very possible of use, as the gearbox unbolts off the motor, good power ect. The seadoo jetskis use a, get this, "250hp" super charged rotax, but about the only way of getting one of these is to buy a ski, they wont sell the motor separetely,,, think some one told them what they be used for :)

Automotive 4 stroke conversions to aviation

Robinsm

Not so for Suzuki conversions having died. Make a big jug of coffee, cut a pail of sandwiches and set yourself down to googling aero conversions of the three & four cyl Suzuki, Barina and/or Geo Metro engines (naturally aspirated, or injected, or turbo-ed). There are at least two web pages devoted to afficianados of the use of this engine in many variations of kit & home built rec aircraft in N. America & Europe. Only a few in the air here in Oz that I'm aware of tho. At present I'm preparing a 3 cyl 900 cc Suzi w/ Rotax 'E' G/box & liquid cooling system to ultimately replace a Rotax 2 stroke in a rag & tube. Cheers. Riley

Thanks for your opinion and help, will go there, (the site) incidentley Riley, I believe the Kawasaki 440 would suit us both as we only need 40hp or so.

I think with the motorcycle engines we have the electric start already there as well.

Gee..., to everyone who replied, I tried to post a seperate appreciation to individuals, and messed up as can be seen, so thanks to all, but remember I was talking about SMALL ULTRALIGHT engines of say 30 or 40 hp size.

This is my first and only use of a forum and have some issues with posting.

VIJA aircraft engines

100hp and 120 hp suzuki conversion Produits

VIJA J-12Si

• Moteur 4cylindres en ligne, 4Temps, 16 soupapes

• Injection électronique à correction altimétrique

• 1186cc

100HP @ 6600 tr/min

235 N.m @ 4200 tr/min (à l'hélice)

• Réducteur mécanique, rapport de 2.55/1

• Vitesse de rotation maxi de l'hélice: 2700 tr/min

• Embrayage multidisque en bain d'huile

(commande manuel par cable)

• Amortisseur de couple par absorption intégré

• 84kg, poids complet en ordre de marche

• 9500€ HT*

VIJA AG-12Si

• Moteur 4cylindres en ligne, 4Temps, 16 soupapes

• Injection électronique à correction altimétrique

• 1246cc

120HP @ 7300 tr/min

270 N.m @ 4500 tr/min (à l'hélice)

• Réducteur mécanique, rapport de 2.55/1

• Vitesse de rotation maxi de l'hélice: 2860 tr/min

• Embrayage multidisque en bain d'huile

(commande manuel par cable)

• Amortisseur de couple par absorption intégré

• 84kg, poids complet en ordre de marche

• 13000€ HT*

(Photo

Berceau moteur compatible 912 / 914 Un bâti-moteur est proposé en option. Ce dernier reprend les mêmes points d'ancrage que le bâti certifié du Rotax 912 ou 914.

La position de l'hélice par rapport aux points d'ancrage est également la même que ce celle du 912 UL.

• Etude et réalisation de bâti moteur sur mesure

Nous réalisons l’étude du bâti moteur spécifique à votre machine. Nous pouvons vous livrer les plans cotés. Nous pouvons réaliser le bâti en tube acier 25 cd 4s soudé TIG Traité anticorrosion avec une peinture epoxy ( teinte RAL au choix).

Exemple de réalisations :

here is one that should be about 60hp

yamaha virago airplane

Your bike, how high does it fly?

If I tell you that there is a couple planes which are flying around (or at least were) powered by Yamaha V-Twin engines, does it sound like a Virago with wings to you?

I don't really know how many of these cases there are, but at least I'm aware of two.

And it seems like the Virago has an engine that provides a valid option at the time of building this “flying grafts”.

In 1991 Richard Giles built a replica Nieuport-12, WWI plane. And when it was time to put something on its nose, he chose a XV-1100 built in 1986.

Giles said that the selection of that engine was based on several factors, which include his experience with motorcycle engines, light weight of this engine, power, cost, adaptability, and most importantly: reliability.

Why a Yamaha V-twin?

The engine XV-1100 is very light; moreover, it is made out of aluminum, and the original plane engines were not. Another factor was the existence of a built-in transmission gear box, which allows 5 different reduction ratios to accommodate different propeller speeds according to the flight needs; in other words, this guy built a plane with manual transmission. This plane can stops the propeller without the need of shutting off the engine. And the most relevant answer to the “why” is because...

he had a Virago 1100 to be the donor.

Among the specs that he mentions is the low rpm that this engine operates (3000 to 7000 rpm), which cover perfectly the plane's needs. Another aspect, (which may be natural for most of us) was the built-in electric system and the pressurized oil circulation that exceeded the requirements for a WWI replica, specially the power improvement (80HP).

Probably the main drawback was the carburetor . The Mikunis had to be replaced because these carbs operate by vacuum behind the diaphragms, and a plane needs the fuel to be “blown”. Therefore, he replaced the 2 Mikunis for regular 40mm car carburetors.

In October 1993 Giles' replica was reviewed and approved for fly by the FAA (USA).

The work done by Giles and his friends transformed his Virago 1100 in the first plane powered by a V-Twin engine.

In addition, Butch Witlock also equipped his Nieuport-12 with a Virago. And this plane flies with an acrobatic squadron.

We need to take in consideration that this planes have a cruiser speed of 75MPH and a maximum speed of 90MPH.

These are not planes where the engine is going to endure a lot of “G” forces. These are very light planes with silk-covered wings.

Bottom line, if the FAA was able to approve this engine is evidently because this is a very reliable engine...

or they (FAA) are as “crazy” as the builders and pilots.

Now you know, some say that the Viragos are not really good, some others disagree.... at least you now have a very important fact....

This engine is so reliable that the FAA approved it to be used on an airplane.

The seadoo jetskis use a, get this, "250hp" super charged rotax, but about the only way of getting one of these is to buy a ski, they wont sell the motor separetely,,, think some one told them what they be used for :)

Raced one of these in the Ski boat not long back, they're unreal! I was flat at a tad over 55Mph, and it still pulled away.

This is my first and only use of a forum and have some issues with posting.

Welcome along mate, I hope you can get it sorted. And you get some great information to help you out.

Gee..., to everyone who replied, I tried to post a seperate appreciation to individuals, and messed up as can be seen, so thanks to all, but remember I was talking about SMALL ULTRALIGHT engines of say 30 or 40 hp size.

Grafor interesting topic, always good to pool knowledge on these things. Bear in mind that discussions here often take on a life of their own and although your interest is purely at the lighter end of the scale, some of the others may know about or want info on engines in the 80-100hp range. It can be a bit like herding cats at times:big_grin:

First Plane Powered By a Vee Twin engine?

Plenty of Indian and Harley engines used in america in the late 20's. There was a prize offered for the best motorcycle powered small plane. The 4 cylinder Henderson from the Excelsior-Henderson factory proved the best, and was modified and renamed a Heath Henderson subsequently, and used in a lot of small aircraft Curtis built 2, 3 cyl.and V8 engines in the teens (air cooled). Some for motorcycles and some for aircraft The V8 engine was fitted to a motorcycle which set speed records (single speed shaft driven) broke the driveshaft, incidentally.

JAP in England, built a V-8 , for aircraft use, based on the cylinders from a vee twin motorcycle, which they built and raced ,(generally in a Matchless frame), about 1910. . Nev

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Look up Hog Air in you tube. I still think the harley engine would suit a light aircraft, 2 cly v twin, 80 - 100 hp low revs and high torque. If I had the time would like to try one in a Jabiru.

Steve