Birdsville Races

Guest TFC

Guest Mad Dave

It depends what you want to see/do on the way. Last year we went via Mildura and Broken Hill. This year might go via White Cliffs, not too sure at this stage.

My main concern is just the desert. I was planning on going to Swan Hill - Broken Hill - Tibooburra - Innamincka - Birdsville. It will give a few more options if needed.

Thanks

Desert? I have just come back from Lake Eyre via Windorah, Birdsville, Broken Hill, White Cliffs and Bourke...NO desert

Take your Speedo's and flippers...Never seen so much water out there.

Birdsville had fuel (Avgas) truck stuck in mud with all roads closed. White Cliffs also completely cut off (during period Jul3-13)

What is the best route to fly to Birdsville from Melbourne?

If I was going from Melbourne I'd go by way of Broken Hill and Arkaroola. Those northern Flinders Ranges are really worth a look, and Arkaroola is an excellent overnight stop, with both premium and Avgas. Then up the Birdsville track with maybe a diversion to have a look at Lake Eyre. The Birdsville track is a wide highway these days so it's like one long runway if you have engine problems. It's about the safest place to fly of anywhere. And it does run through some spectacular desert country, much more interesting than the mulga country. Unfortunately Mungerannie airstrip is closed now, so if you are fuel limited for exploring the Lake then might have to figure on going across to William Creek for fuel.

The 'desert' country of northern SA is much safer flying than than all that mulga scrub in western NSW. There's lots more opportunities for a safe outlanding in open areas. And of course follow the main roads whenever possible. They provide even better landing possibilities, and with lots of 4WD traffic these days to be of assistance if necessary.

But whatever, do get up and go!

JG

We stop at innamincka for a break on the way to marree.Refuel at marree and the fuel chappie said if we had to refuel at innamincka it would have cost $3 ltr avgas and you could only buy it by the 200ltr drums,what you could'nt use you had to leave behind,only to be fill up again and resold.I had trouble believing this,and this scam goes on,but maybe someone could enlighten me.Could always get a 20ltr container and go to the servo for premium unleaded $1.90.Different world out there and different laws lol just joking i think.Can't wait to get back out there:big_grin:

Going to the flinders Ranges would be a nice trip, thanks for the tip. I had to pay $3 a litre from a 200L drum when myself and some others were up at Wilcania, I want to avoid that agian. Lake Ayre isn't much out of the way, so I might take a look at that.

I haven't flown out that way before, only to the Broken Hill area, so its good to get an idea of what its like, thanks

TFC

We stop at innamincka for a break on the way to marree.Refuel at marree and the fuel chappie said if we had to refuel at innamincka it would have cost $3 ltr avgas and you could only buy it by the 200ltr drums

I've never got avgas at Innaminka, but premium at the servo. Only problem is distance to the airfield, too far to carry. But ask likely looking 4WD's, offer a short flight if necessary....

Last time I was at Marree avgas was only in full drums, and in town was only regular unleaded, no premium any more. Leigh Creek doesn't have fuel any longer. Arkaroola has avgas, premium, and regular, and very aircraft-friendly hospitality, so they deserve support I reckon. And cabin beds for $15 last time we were there. Just call on 126.7 while overflying the resort. Signal is blocked by mountains from on the ground at the strip.

JG

I have to agree with JG3. I have been to Birdsville a number of times and any route you take to get there is good. Last year our route was Latrobe Valley- Bendigo- Mildura- Broken Hill- Arkaroola- William Creek- Birdsville. Arkaroola is a must, Doug and his staff go out of their way for thier visitors. It is a wonderful area to explore and generally for a small donation to charity a 4X4 vehicle (Dorothy) is available for you to get around. Plan to spend a day at least (if you have the time). Arkaroola- William creek will take you over Lake Eyre South and a small diversion will put you over Lake Eyre, there should still be water there in September.Av gas is generally avialable at William Creek but check the status of William Creek, we were there in April and there were plans to rip up the strip and seal it later this year. William Creek- Birdsville will have you tracking over Lake Eyre and along the Warburton creek at the North end of Lake Eyre, briliant. Last year we returned via Longreach- Charleville- Lightening Ridge- Narromine and Narandra. It's a great way to see the country. Enjoy the trip!!!

Also on the track from Arkaroola to William Creek is the 'Marree Man' artwork at S29*32', E137*28'.

See Marree Man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Well worth a look. About 3000ft is needed for a good view. An impressive bit of work to lay out this image so that it fits exactly in the space selected.

JG

I've done a lot of distance flying over the yrs, Fuel is the governing factor......I latched onto one of those "Turtle pak" bladders......40L.

They are brilliant.........you can shove them anywhere, and transfer the contents in flite.

Only downside.......cost around $1500.

I have since sold it as the buyer was desperate to get one ASAP.

I recently came across another bladder supplier.........google "Liquid containment", these are not "certified" but after speaking with the chap, ( Qld ) i was sold.......i now have a 20L one.

he will make one to any size you want. ...........Cost, $250.........that's a fraction of the other makers. This new supplier makes his from military spec materials.......they are top class.

Planning on getting another one, around 30+ liters..........

hope this helps folks...............

We had trouble seeing the Marree Man and found about 5000 a better height. A far better site is the Painted Hills which are on the same track from Marree, west through the Marree man and then--I have the co-ords if needed. But what a fabulous set of hills with unbelievable colors. Then turn back north east for William creek and fuel.

1235843240_Paintedhills.jpg.4253ea1d77ea0f05e9e36a464c41b08c.jpg

Also on the track from Arkaroola to William Creek is the 'Marree Man' artwork at S29*32', E137*28'. See Marree Man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Well worth a look. About 3000ft is needed for a good view. An impressive bit of work to lay out this image so that it fits exactly in the space selected.

JG

A little bit off topic but if you are ever over the Nullarbor check out 32.12.56S 125.21.59E and tell me what you see. For those (like me) that will not be flying that way, check it out on Google Earth.

Pud

That's a good one Pud. I wonder how long that has been there for?

The story goes Relfy that some road workers contracted to the company had nothing to do one day during major upgrade of the highway sometime last century:big_grin: so they decided to have a play. I'm pretty sure this was before the use of GPS so it is pretty well done.

Pud

how do i get google to find that location

You need Google Earth installed on your machine and running. There should be a "Fly to" box on the left side which you can type coordinates into.

If that fails type in "Australia's longest straight road" and go to the east end of the long straight, then search to the northwest of the road bend, watching the co-ordinates change at the bottom of the screen - you'll see it soon enough if you have an altitude (lower right corner of the screen) of less than 20 miles.

Pud

• 1 month later...

Mad Max

I was on my way to Birdsville to be there for the races. Got stuck in Broken Hill with radio problems. Then the weather - I chose not to fly North from BH into 20 to 35 knots winds and predicted rain. I bacame a tourist in BH instead. I've been here a week now.

Today I saw a series of dangerous landings of aircraft escaping the wet from Birdsville. Most of the people getting out of aircraft had bare feet!

Mad Max 4 preliminaries are being filmed out at the Mundy Mundy plains near Silverton. The main filming has been delayed till February because the ground is too green at the moment!

Looks like I can get out of here on Monday. I'm planning to see Lake Eyre, and maybe continue on up to the Warwick fly in next weekend.

Jack.049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif049_sad.gif.cfa4f274d7bd070bd6a24b809e8799ba.gif

Looks as though John Gilpin called the wx 100%, just had a look at the photo gallery on the Courier Mail website, what a mess. 5,000 odd marooned, roads closed and now the races have been cancelled altogether!

434279-birdsville-races-2010.jpg.51041f6033b5ad2cf914460ced34a97e.jpg

436733-birdsville-races-2010.jpg.937355263444f763c25c081dd488e0f2.jpg

Yeh, weather forecasting is really getting good these days, especially for those inland areas.

Just keep an eye on Water and the Land: Forecast Rainfall

I've been watching this site closely ever since that wet Narromine a couple of years ago.

It's always been very accurate several days in advance, especially for those weather systems that move across from the west.

The forecasters can now watch the progress and monitor the influences by satellite so well.

An iphone puts those images, plus the weather radar and satellite view right in your hand.

NextG signal just about everywhere at altitude.

We also used an iphone and that Forecast Rainfall site on our Centre Trip.

Because of that service we were able to fly a clear spell, then get out before the next big wet system moved in.

Absolutely invaluable, wouldn't go anywhere without it!

JG