Fuel mizer fuel flow gauge

biggles5128

I tried ordering more stock from the manufacturer and I finally got an email back from them yesterday that they have ceased manufacturing the Fuel Mizer 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif - I have a couple of orders outstanding for them

used a marine mizer for yrs in my gyro............brilliant.

Plumbing them into a "EFI" engine is also easy. ( can give details if asked )

current price of the mizers is around $350

I suppose I will have to spend the extra $$$$ on a JPI FS450. Again if there are any experiences good or bad I would like to here them.

I considered going for the marine unit which by all accounts is probably identical however, call it what you like but "there's boats and there's planes".

All very good points. One of the features that I am looking for is to know exactly what fuel burn I am having at various power settings. As I have an anologue guage for RPM, just a slight movement on the throttle setting can mean that I have moved the needle on the jet to go from burning 25l/hr to towards 35l/hr.

Another advantage as I see it is, when I am flying at A095, I have full throttle to maintain 2850RPM. It will be nice to know that the pressure compensating carb is doing its job. If I see that I am burning around the 25l/hr mark I know that I am getting sufficient cooling from the fuel/air ratio. (I will happily be corrected if this logic does not stack up). :big_grin:

A quick question. I don't understand what this instrument does for the $350+? I mean, I have a computer in my car that tells me fuel burn on either instantaneous or average basis and it helps me to be less aggressive on the accelerator. But in a plane without a mixture control? It may help you know how much fuel you have left but if you allow yourself 45 minute reserve, you don't have to know that accurately. I guess it would tell you something if you sprang a leak.

When they are set right they will give you an accurate reading down to about 2 lts left in the tank, they have the flow in 0.1 lt, i have used one for 1700hrs on the rotax i have now great for a SECOND check on what is left in the tank, i always would get nervous when the alarm went off i had set for 10 lts left, i would land and double check it was accurate, then i knew i had 30 mins before i was back on the ground again(1 way or the other)011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Mine though lately has had a brain fade, it will not keep settings, turn it off and it resets itself, very annouying, very unusable also, so i have a guage in the dash not worth its weight.

Yes, them mizers will tell you remaining fuel in tank..............but more better, they will tell you exactly your fuel burn rate at whatever revs you set the engine. It's a great tool to then adjust your revs seeking that ultimate fuel burn.

The JPI FS450, does all that.............plus a heap more goodies, and is aero certified, legit. Cost is 3X the mizer tho.

Ask me in a couple of months how my FS450 is going, in my new machine.

( Fitting instructions will tell you "where" for the transducer )

Thanks Russ, I have read on a few places where there have been some problems with fine strands from filters etc causing the turbine to not function properly in the Fuel Mizer, have not heard of the same issues with the JPI. Do they come with another filter or do you rely on the in line filter of the aircraft?

This is the email I received back on my last order from Mizer:

Hello Ian:

The company that produces the Mizer closed their doors recently as competition from Lowrance and other suppliers proved to great to overcome. We searched other alternatives for aviation for some time and finally were forced to drop this product line altogether.

At one time Airstar produced a competing product, but it appears that they are gone as well.

Wish I had better news in this regard.

Warmest regards,

Thanks Russ, I have read on a few places where there have been some problems with fine strands from filters etc causing the turbine to not function properly in the Fuel Mizer, have not heard of the same issues with the JPI. Do they come with another filter or do you rely on the in line filter of the aircraft?

Both makers advise to install a filter before the transducers. I used some pretty ordinary fuels at times, hence i changed that filter 2....3 times per yr. The mizer never missed a beat all those yrs.

Do know.......if the transducer faults, fuel flow is not compromised.

Sent an email to supplier to Aircraft Spruce yesterday who came back overnight with same answer that Ian posted. It's still on their web site to thus likly to be recent decision. Thus seems no new stock will be available.

A great pity as I personally think they are/were a great bit of kit.

Thought it might be appropriate at this point to let folks know how to plumb in a mizer for a "EFI" engine............( EFI having returning fuels to tank )

You must have a 2nd tank ( i call it a "working tank" ) only needs to be 2...3 litres. this working tank is gravity feed from main tank.......Ok........engine draws from this working tank, returning fuels also go back to this tank. The mizer transducer is located in that gravity line from main tank to working tank..............it reads the amount of fuel that is topping up that working tank........ie, actual fuel being used.

Locations of lines in or out of working tank........engine draws from the bottom, returned fuels at the top, as is gravity fuel in. Now..............a SMALL breather is fitted to the top as well, this is plumbed back to the top of your main tank, this breather negates any possible presure buildup in this working tank.

Used this method for yrs on my soob ej22.........worked a treat.

If the Fuel Mizer is no longer available might I suggest the "Flight Data Systems " fuel flow meter... I've used one for a couple of years, works fine, I especially like the alloy transducer so heat is not such an issue.....Geoff

Fuel flow measuring.

Morning all,

What about one of the Stratomaster range.

Available usually ex stock Canberra. No complicated shipping or currency conversions.

To easy and local support.

Just an idea.

Ding.

Thanks geoff, was having a good look at these units on the web, sound like they would do the job at a hell of a lot less than JPI, I take it you would endorse the unit based on your experience. Did you find accuracy an issue?

accuracy seems fine, I used an 8% fudge factor (adjustable and built in) It will also plug into your gps (I didn't do that) I am a bit wary of the "fuel remaining" function and use it only as advisory......The fuel flow function is great for setting the throttle, I cruise on information from the meter rather than the airspeed..... Since having the fuel flow meter I have also fitted the Tacho from the same company, My mechanical tacho leaked oil into the cockpit! plus I like electronics anyway ! The orange lit background comes on if it gets a bit dark! Very pretty!...Geoff