Tail Wheel endorsement

Started my tail wheel endorsement at the oaks today. Thsi endorsement really shows what you don't know. We are spoilt with the tricycle undercarriages!

I have to admit that the 1.5 hrs today were ok but trhe landings were embarrasing to say the least. I hope they will improve.

Cheers

Maynard

I am doing the endorsement in Daves Flying School's 912 lightwing. Apart from the tail wheel, the other differences I have to get used to are: Central stick (right hand) as opposed to left hand between the knees stick and left hand dash throttle as opposed to right hand stick throttle. Great to fly another type of aircraft but these narrow cabins get real friendly at times. The instructor, John was great and very relaxed (he needed to be).

At least the landings have to improve after today. Can you recommend a good book about tail wheel landings.

Cheers

Maynard

You should have seen my t/o in the savage cub last w'end- was like a spooked horse chasing the fences on both sides! Well maybe not that bad but yes- very humbling, Greg was very'accepting". Loved the plane though. Completely agree with your comments but they say persist- it's worth it- I will.025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Can you recommend a good book about tail wheel landings.

You shouldn't need a book as your instructor's briefing should suffice, in my opinion, but if you want something to read on the subject then try:Talwheel Transition FAQ

www.taildraggers.com - Documentation

Chapter 13 of the free FAA Airplane Flying Handbook

If you still want to spend money on a book, have a look at: Conventional Gear: Flying a Taildragger

I haven't read this one but it has good reviews: The Compleat Taildragger Pilot

Thanks fellas. I will keep on keeping on. David, I can relate to the citabria incident, had one like it today. Should be stopping at Warnervale in the Xair when I go up to the Glouster flyin later this year. May be catch up with you and the Xair owners Warwich and Sheree that I met at Temora.

The instructor today talked about getting out the dancing shoes when doing the 3 pointers, I now see what he means!!!

Cheers

Maynard

You shouldn't need a book as your instructor's briefing should suffice, in my opinion, but if you want something to read on the subject then try:Talwheel Transition FAQ

www.taildraggers.com - Documentation

Chapter 13 of the free FAA Airplane Flying Handbook

Thanks djpacro, These appear to be really good on-line references which I look forward to reading.

Thanks fellas. I will keep on keeping on. David, I can relate to the citabria incident, had one like it today. Should be stopping at Warnervale in the Xair when I go up to the Glouster flyin later this year. May be catch up with you and the Xair owners Warwich and Sheree that I met at Temora. The instructor today talked about getting out the dancing shoes when doing the 3 pointers, I now see what he means!!!

Cheers

Maynard

When is the Gloucester fly in? it is not on the events list.

Ozzie

....so off I went and over controlled with the rudder, then was too slow in the opposite response and then over controlled in the opposite response, I was all over the runway (so bloody embarrassing, there were spectators of course) then somehow got it straight on the grass off the bitumen and kept it there till I took off. The CFI just laughed as he watched me weave all over the runway and simply said "well you got out of that one". He was obviously not as worried as I was scared at the time. She was just reminding me to be gentle but quick. It is truly wonderful to have a relaxed instructor.

David,You sound like you were in the back seat with me the other day! I can definately relate to this eek.gif

....so off I went and over controlled with the rudder, then was too slow in the opposite response and then over controlled in the opposite response, I was all over the runway (so bloody embarrassing, there were spectators of course) then somehow got it straight on the grass off the bitumen and kept it there till I took off. The CFI just laughed as he watched me weave all over the runway and simply said "well you got out of that one". He was obviously not as worried as I was scared at the time. She was just reminding me to be gentle but quick. It is truly wonderful to have a relaxed instructor.David,You sound like you were in the back seat with me the other day! I can definately relate to this eek.gif

I first tried to fly it with boots on, Big Mistake, kept accidently touching the Brakes,(for the people who havent seen where the Brakes are, they are a tab on the Centre of the pedal) you have to place your feet on the pedals on a angle, to miss the brake on top of the pedal.Anyway im heading down the runway, and Pete Stanton camly says "Daryl get your feet off the brakes, and wear norrow shoes next time ". As im zig zagging down the runwayLOL

Since then i have been wearing sneekers which are narrower in width, so my feet are well away from the Brake Tabs.:big_grin:

G'day guys, great to talk to like minded "Tailwheel Tragic's"

If I had it my way all aircraft would have that wheel at the back. The skills and finesse that Taildragger's DEMAND of a pilot are what flying is all about, I worry that some people are losing that mentality and I firmly believe that you haven't really learnt to fly until you can tame a "taildragon" (and aerobatics but thats a different subject)

For those interested I have started a post on the new LOVE OF MY LIFE the Savage Cruiser at Boonah elsewhere in the forums.

If u fly the aircraft u love well...it dont matter where the third wheel is....

That is SO TRUE CFI, alot of guys try the cub, if they dont like it, they fail to come to grips with her.If you fall in love with her, she will still try and fight you, (like a good women lol).But the satisfaction, of flying her, gives you a buzz.

David Isaac said: Be encouraged Maynard, there is nothing quite like a tail-wheel aircraft to keep you on your toes (literally) and to teach you proper hold off technique (for three pointers).

Hi Maynard

Stick with it and you will refine your skills a heap. I thought 300 hours in gliders and TW motor gliders plus 50 hours in a Decathlon gave me a head start when it came to flying my Auster. I was wrong.

150 hours later and I still can't relax on landing. The feet truly have to dance on the rudder pedals until the rolling has stopped if you want to keep her in anything like a straight line on the roll out. I relearned the importance of the rudder in flight, too after years in Warriors and Cessnas --- you have to feed her in and out of a turn to maintain the ball in the middle.

But there is something very special about being able to do the TW thing and I know the Lightwing is a great little machine in which to experience it (the Grasshopper is pretty good, too).

We have quite a TW contingent at YCEM -- 5 x Austers, a Luscombe, a Corby Starlet and a mighty Yak 52TW -- but nothing on line. It's getting harder to obtain the endorsement simply because there aren't that many around to do it in. Take the opportunity while you can and enjoy!

best wishes

kaz