Which flight school near Adelaide would you recommend?

Guest Lloydster

Guest Lloydster

Hi there everyone!

I'm considering learning to fly a recreational aircraft like a Gazelle or Jabiru or similar, and would like to know where, near Adelaide, you would recommend I get lessons. I'm new and nervous, just in case those happen to be important considerations!

Thanks in advance.

Lloyd. :big_grin:

Hi Lloyd,

I know Forsyth Aviation at Parafield conduct RA-Aus flight training as they hold an exemption from CASA to operate in controlled airspace. This may be closer to you then many other schools (I know Murray Bridge and Gawler are quite a distance away from the CBD.)

-Andrew

+1 for aldinga. Much depends where in Adelaide you are I guess! I am on the south side...

We were all new and nervous so don't let that worry you :-) wherever you go, ask for a TIF (trial instruction flight), it will give you an idea of what to expect!

Have fun!

+1 for aldinga. Much depends where in Adelaide you are I guess! I am on the south side...We were all new and nervous so don't let that worry you :-) wherever you go, ask for a TIF (trial instruction flight), it will give you an idea of what to expect!

Have fun!

Have to agree with Thx1137. Don't forget Murray Bridge, 2 schools there. Straight down the freeway and Xcountry from Monarto. Don't forget to ask prices and look at school facilities. Aldinga is best but probably most costly, RPA at M.B. cheapest with good ammenities and great instructors. Both have a female F.I. on board if that's your preference. There is a Gazelle at M.B. as well. Take your pick and go for it.

• Agree 1

May depend upon which side of the city you live / work. I'm training at MB, it's a 1 hour drive but works for me. Parafield is closer to work but more expensive and much busier (potentially less time in the air per lesson). Aldinga sounds great but is also a little more expensive and windier being near the coast.

Lots of runways at yadg though. winds aren't much of an issue :-). I did my jabiru training at Murray bridge. There is certainly a range of aircraft and it is cheaper per hour for the plane though between a 160 and a sportstar, not a big difference. (big is in they eye of the beholder too I guess)

My advice is Give it away old man 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

actually Lloyd is my brother in law and I guess it is my fault he wants to learn to fly, it was the couple of hours in the Gazelle that did it! 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Guest Lloydster

Wow! What a response! Thanks everyone, for the words of encouragement in particular. I'm in the northern suburbs, so Parafield and Gawler are really close by. I am a bit concerned that Parafield would be extremely busy though. Anyway, I guess I should pull my finger out and book a "TIF"!

There is always Goolwa now -- Sportstar and jabiru - with 3 runways something is always into wind, and the scenery is the best you get in Adelaide - school is new so they are out to please.

I have dealt with Murray Bridge and Aldinga -- they are all different and good in their own ways. Just get out there and have fun.

Guest rotor138
Lloyd, value for money would be Gawler if you wish to fly Jabiru.

Agreed the instructors are excellent too. Seriously suggest you compare Gawler to the rest you may be surprised.

• 5 years later...
His last post was August 2010. Must be flying the big jets by now.Alan.

I can report that the original poster (my bro in law) did eventually choose a flying school and is now a regular flyer. Although he lives in a different state to me we do get together at least once a year for a week of cross country flying adventures.

• Informative 1
  • Winner 1

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks everyone. Checking out Gawler this weekend!

Agreed the instructors are excellent too. Seriously suggest you compare Gawler to the rest you may be surprised.

Adelaide Soaring Club in Gawler ??

I m looking for the flight school around north of Adelaide where not too far away from where I live( I live in Mawson lakes), somewhere like Gawler. And is going to have TIF there in 2 weeks time . Would like to know if they have good reputation

Adelaide Soaring Club in Gawler ??I m looking for the flight school around north of Adelaide where not too far away from where I live( I live in Mawson lakes), somewhere like Gawler. And is going to have TIF there in 2 weeks time . Would like to know if they have good reputation

Your going to get addicted Leena, aviation is very addictive.