Immobilising 3300 prop for leak down

gregv

Hi all.

Complete newbie question here, but what have others found to be the best method to immobilise the prop on a 3300 when performing a leak down test?

Was always easy on a motorcycle - sticking it in gear with the rear brake on!

Any suggestions / experiences / sage advice gratefully received.

Greg v

Northland, NZ.

Hang on.

There is no turning moment untill it moves away from TDC. If you let it move, then it will want to turn. Treat it with respect. It can clobber you even though there is only 80 psi. Hold it near the tips...Nev..

It is permissable to rock prop back and forth to find TDC and correct leakdown reading (highest one), as said theres no pull when in this position but dont let go all the same

It can turn very hard if you let go - be very careful, stay clear, also make sure compressor hose and elect leads not draped where prop can grab it

There was a photo posted on the forum a while ago of someone who got clocked by the prop while doing a leakdown test.

It gave him a fairly painful whack and cut on the eyebrow just from the compressed air used for the test.

CRAFT disease has struck though, can't remember who posted it or where.

Re rocking the prop

The recommended procedure is exactly that to ensure you have the accurate leakdown result i.e. find the peak.

This is from a LAME who showed me how to get the correct results - so not an opinion from an unqualified pilot which I am.

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

stopping the prop

Hi Gerg, I just hold on with my hand it's not too hard. it is only 80 psiRory

Hiya not so long ago whilst fiddling with the air tap i had just fitted to my leak down gauges, i had the prop fly around and smack me fair in the nuts, man never again will i stand in such a posi, voice is ok now, on the serious side yep real danger be careful cheers :black_eye: