Riddle of the Stinson

XP503

Hi there,

If there are any of you out there, like me, who are fascinated with the story of the Stinson VH-UHH that crashed in the border ranges on its way from Archerfield to Sydney many many years ago, there was a movie made about the events called the "Riddle of the Stinson" and although it is an old movie, it is a must see if you are interested in the crash etc.....

The wreck is still perched in the mountains just south of beaudesert but unless you have athletic fitness and are up for a 13 hour treck with a guide............

I know a guy who can send you a copy of the movie free of charge so let me know if you're interested.

Cheers

Brilliant book, brilliant man's bushcraft - even the book makes it sound easy, but if you go up to Riley's, feed the parrots and then walk a few paces off the tracks, you'll see what a hero Riley was.

The lesson of the Stinson was simpler - don't fly close to ranges under low cloud on windy days - the downwash will suck you down into the trees, even if you are flying flat out downwind.

Yes indeed, great story (well not for the characters).

Old friend of ours used to go walking in that jungle back in his younger day, (got lost for a while once too!) he said he used to love it, and is an amazing experience...... no I don't think I need too!! 040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif

Great story of survival though, amazing.

Stinson Wreck

What little is left of the Stinson wreck is still fascinating. On my visit in c. 1985, about 6 metres up in a youngish tree nearby was embedded a piece of the structure- welded steel tubing similar to a bicycle frame.

Amazing because:

• it's protruding from the the uphill side of the tree (the opposite side to that from which the aircraft is likely to have arrived)

• the tree is too small/young to have been there in the 1930's.

The only explanation I can offer is that it was impaled on the downhill side a large tree. Later a young sapling grew up in the space cleared in the canopy by the impact, surrounding part of the projecting steel structure. The large tree later died, rotted enough for the steel to pull free when, eventually, the big old tree fell down. There is little evidence of the original large tree, save for an unusual absence of large trees in that part of the canopy.

The crash site has a poignant plaque and the remains of engines and undercarriage- Undercarriage fork intact, complete with steel axle and wheel bearings, but there is no trace of rubber or wheel- it may have been magnesium and burned away completely.

Walking in from the northern side takes only a couple of hours.

Lyle

Wow pretty fascinating stuff. I have flown over the approximate site it is real tiger country....

Maybe I should look into the walk from the north....I have always been interested in the story, when I was young we lived on a farm at Kerry which is at the base of the hill it crashed on.

Don't forget to email my friend for the movie he is more than happy to send it to you.

I was raised on this story (my home district is my pen name)

My Dad once manned the Tick Gate at Mt Lindesay, next to which is an obelisk commemorating the crash and the heroism of the survivors.

I am a member of the NSW VRA (Volunteer Rescue Association) and the story of the stuff-ups during the search for the overdue Stinson is a lesson to us all. As a result of the loss of this aircraft and the Southern Cloud during the same era, Australia started to develop an aviation weather and safety system.

• 2 months later...

Yes please!

G'Day David!

I had a copy of "Riddle of the Stinson" some years ago, but I made the mistake of lending it - silly me. I would appreciate a replacement copy as they are no longer available through the conventional channels.

I might add that I am the grandson of G.A. Robinson, founder and Managing Director of Airlines of Australia and have a good collection of photos of not only VH-UHH, but the other three AoA Stinsons as well. Included in my collection are some very good shots of the world's only remaining (and airworthy) Stinson Model A.

Incidentally, New England Airways (later, AoA) was formed in Lismore by my grandfather with a Gipsy Moth and a Ryan Brougham (same as "Spirit of St Louis" but without the modifications. My collection starts with that Gipsy Moth (which was owned by my uncle, Keith Virtue) and finishes with AoA's DC3 which was the first in Oz and one of the first to be sold outside America.

Have I captured your attention?

G'day!

Wow sounds like you are very connected to the "Riddle of the Stinson" - so to speak HAHA

Like I have said it has always captured my imagination, growing up in the area and now flying around those hills.....

Glenn Cochrane will send you as many copies as you like, email him on [email protected] and he will send it to you free of charge. Please definitely tell him about your connection to the story as he is a fanatic of the Stinson aircraft/story as well.

Hope I have helped.

stinson wreck

g'day All

as an ex mad keen bushwalker in Lamington NP (where the Stinson crashed) and an aviation enthusiast i have had a fair bit of involvement in this saga

the book that tells the story of this fascinating event is called Green Mountains by Bernard O'Reilly, who is of course the hero/legend that found the wreck - the book is available in hardcover with two of his other short books, Cullenbenbong and Over the Hills, it is published by Envirobook

for those who can get to Beaudesert, two major visits - first is the Historical Museum, they have a Stinson Room with all manner of memorabilia of the crash, including the battered and burnt stainless steel flask that Binstead had used to bring water back to Proud, who had a badly broken leg. By that stage Westray had been long gone to try to get help, but had fallen down a waterfall and perished

Westrays Grave is a lot easier to reach than the wreck, which is virtually non-existent these days. you also have to drive past the little graveyard where Bernard O'Reilly is buried, so take two lots of flowers !!!

oh yeah, the other visit you gotta do in Beaudesert is the local newspaper, they may still have huge photocopies of the papers articles on the vents from 1937 - it's called the Beaudesert Times, they still had them a few years ago

enuff for now, gotta get to work - look forward to your replies

BP

• 4 weeks later...

NEMCOY,

I have read the book. Virtue in Flying and found it absolutely fascinating.Actually I have read it about five or six times The book is still available on E-Bay. Must get copy of the film The Riddle of the Stinson,been searching for it for years.

• Agree 1

stinson flight on flight simulator

hey guys

i've flown the route (Archerfield - Lismore) in a Stinson Tri Motor in stormy weather and it is just scary

trying to keep visual contact with the ground while the aircraft is being thrown all around the sky...nasty

2012 is the 75th anniversary of the crash, i'm going to organise an event including the Stinson Room at the Beaudesert Historical Museum, the Beaudesert Times for copies of the newspaper articles, Bernard O'Reilly's grave and Westray's grave

cheers for now

BP

• 2 months later...
Brilliant book, brilliant man's bushcraft - even the book makes it sound easy, but if you go up to Riley's, feed the parrots and then walk a few paces off the tracks, you'll see what a hero Riley was.The lesson of the Stinson was simpler - don't fly close to ranges under low cloud on windy days - the downwash will suck you down into the trees, even if you are flying flat out downwind.

I went back up there a few weeks ago. The place seems to have gone downhill badly. Couldn't see any books on Riley or DVD's, but plenty of chinese souvenirs.

Keep us posted on this event; I'd like to be there.

hey guysi've flown the route (Archerfield - Lismore) in a Stinson Tri Motor in stormy weather and it is just scary

trying to keep visual contact with the ground while the aircraft is being thrown all around the sky...nasty

2012 is the 75th anniversary of the crash, i'm going to organise an event including the Stinson Room at the Beaudesert Historical Museum, the Beaudesert Times for copies of the newspaper articles, Bernard O'Reilly's grave and Westray's grave

cheers for now

BP