Am l jumping the gun?

Sloper

Goodaye all

Does my though process make sense on this?

Next month l am going to fly to Morgan areoworks and sniff, scratch and smell a Couger before l order a kit.

After a bit of research and numerous emails to Gary l am sure this is the one l want.

Now the engine l want is on special till the end of the month with $1500 off and the Australian doller so good. Viking Aircraft Engine

And to add if l order now l can have it in April, ok June for the pesamist in me.

Its point pointed out to me that Autoengine conversions can be problimatic but my research the Egenfeller conversions are well done.

l see heaps of advantages over using the Jab 3.3

So ordering the engine before the kit make sense to anybody else??

regards Bruce

G'day Bruce,

It depends on how long it will take you to build the kit to a point when it's ready for engine fitting. Don't forget you have to store it properly and there may be a few modifications by the factory (on going development/problem fixes). It's very tempting to buy now and save the money but you may have to spend some of that $1500 to update the engine.

Now it you whack it together in 3-6 months, then that's a different story.....

regards

Get the plane first ,you will have plenty do do till you need the engine and by then they may churn them out of the factory faster If your anything like me you will also change your mind about the engine you use as well 3 or 4 times.

Made up your mind.

Then you have already made up your mind. You should consider the extra work in fitting a different motor. Everything firewall forward is going to be different, and you will be the first in that respect. I would be concerned about the redrive on any auto conversion. Check Cof G. Changes may affect the length of the nose. Nev

Guest disperse

How much interest will you earn/pay on the money between now and then...............Also The Aussie $$$ is expected to equal/ surpas the USD.

I'd wait

Gone into the weights and balances and dimensions and all seem better than using the Jab 3.3

Just have to cut a big hole in the bottom of the cowling.

As for the currency, l have been dealing in old chev car parts out of the US and keep a good eye on the doller, people had been saying it would reach parity 12 months ago.

l will be registering it VH experimental.

Yes the deposit and business dealing is a concern.

So its really Chicken or egg stuff.

regards Bruce

Working out Currency Values

If we were good at this we shouldn't be typing to each other on keyboards. We would ALL be millionaires. There is the element of risk with the success of this motor, and the marketing/ business plan and cashflow of the company. There have been plenty of other examples eg. Porsche ,Thielert. that went down. Time sorts them out.

There is a difficulty in getting finance for any commercial project all over the world. Deposits ahead of delivery are one way of getting this money and the discount is the incentive. Do you get my drift? Nev

You've got me thinking

You have got me thinking about my choice now.

At that price I am sure you would be able to sell it if you change your mind.

Can you bring forward your visit to Morgan Aeroworks - even if you just fly down there for the day commercially, or fly down there with someone? Just the relief from weeks of indecision and apprehension would be worth it. You might even enjoy your holiday.

Jack. keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gifkeen.gif.7777ed0d05dcd20861d93166f822038e.gif

Let us know how that Honda engine goes Bruce, heard good things about them. Personally I would be more confident if the Viking website didn't just feature computer renderings, are there many installs out there? I'd be looking at the freight aspect also, do you have other components you wish to import at the same time? If not probably waiting a while might not hurt that much IMO.

I've been watching the A$ and the gold price a lot, something doesn't add up right now; certainly the trajectory of the sudden changes in the former this month don't seem sustainable. Australia is a bit player in world affairs so our dollar can be toyed with by others and it can drop real fast at times (eg during the recent Rudd tax fiasco). Who knows what's ahead, although a continued slide in the US$ seems fairly certain at least until their leadership changes.

It will be in the first production run, which doesnt concern me too much as the Honda is bullet proof and the other stuff isnt really that new.

l will be asking for a temp probe port on the drive as l would like to keep a eye on the oil temp there, and they come standard with points for taking water for a heater.

It now also has Jab dimensions for the mounts and is within mm's in length, so direct replacement for a Jab 3.3??????????

Shipping to Melb will be around $571Us plus any duties and taxes here.

l would see it june next year.

regards Bruce

When l was doing the calcs in the previuos months it was going to be 5lb lighter than a Jabiru, they have come back now and said they are about the same, because it has a loverly new mounting system.

l'll put up with that ;) it means l can use a mount from Gary.

l have asked Jan Eggenfellner lots of qeustions on the previuos months. (proberley sick of me)

Maybe l should ask for the Australian distributership. ;)

And yes the fuel burn rate looks good.

The deposit goes on this week so l expact to see it Jun/July next year.

Now all l have to do is order the kit :)

regards Bruce

While the engine may be similar in dimension to the Jab, it's hard to believe that it is also close to the same weight?

Even if the basic engine is similar, you need to add the weight of the cooling system when doing your CofG calcs....

I'm pretty sure Gary will advise on changing the firewall position to suit the new weight, and there's plenty of nose to shorten on the Cougar.

Arthur.