Maintenance of PPL

If I have a ppl and an Raaus certificate and keep my medical current but only do BFR's in 19 registered Raaus aircraft every 2 years does that keep my PPL current? IE I can fly in controlled airspace etc.

Regards

Greg

So to take the explanation a step further, you can't do BFRs in a Jabiru and then fly in controlled airspace unless the PPL BFR has been done in a GA aircraft.

A current medical is not sufficient without the above.

Clear as to me

Regards

Greg

Guest basscheffers

I don't think you need to do it with a GA instructor and certainly not in a GA aircraft.

First of all the CASA rules clearly say the review should be done in the type you spent most type on. Flying your own Jab for 100 hours, then doing the review in a rented C172 doesn't satisfy that rule.

I have heard from various sources that an RAA flight review in a group A ultralight (i.e.: of the kind that can be VH registered) counts as GA BFR.

A quick google on the subject find posts on various forums of people doing just that.

Before you make up your mind fully and rent that C172 and GA instructor, talk to CLARC and if needed Mick Poole.

the type that you have the most hours in.(recently?)

Bass, this is not a hard and fast rule. It would be a good suggestion and FAIR to the pilot as flying in a plane that he/she has never flown might be seen as a bit unfair. Obviously If you have a single seat aeroplane, this would be impossible unless there happened to be a two seat version of it.

I have many times done tests/ checks in aircraft types that I have never flown before or lack recency in and some cases, don't like. You sometimes try to fit in with conditions that are presented to you, but this would not be reasonable if a person had only flown one type and had low total hours. (unless he wanted to, and under some circumstances that could be fair enough, with the right preparation for instance) You can do an endorsement and that will count for an AFR. as does any upgrade. Nev

Hi David, A mate of mine, went to Caboolture. a few months ago and did his AFR in a 172.He had to fly into sunshine coast airport CTA, as a part of his AFR.Maybe its was school or instructor thing. He normaly doesnt fly out of Caboolture.I asked him about it, he said that they wanted to see how he performed in CTA.He flys in and out of CTA all the time.He owns his own RAA A/c.He still keeps current in GA, although he doesnt fly GA much.Thats why im not sure, as per my first post.Cheers

Guest davidh10

Just adding to the pool of info...

In RAA, if you fly different classes of aircraft, you must alternate the BFR between classes.

It is possible to do a BFR in a single seat aircraft at the discretion of the CFI doing the BFR. The CFI "must be satisfied as to competence" {paraphrased}. This also relates to what is included in the BFR and accounts for different experiences with different CFIs.

The last two sentences may also be the reason for a range of experiences in GA AFRs.

So still no consensis.

The question rephrased. Can you do a GA AFR in a 19 registered aircraft?

Or Will your RAAUS BFR allow you to exercise all the privilages of a ppl without doing a GA AFR.

Thanks for the replies

Regards

Greg

Guest basscheffers
The question rephrased. Can you do a GA AFR in a 19 registered aircraft?Or Will your RAAUS BFR allow you to exercise all the privilages of a ppl without doing a GA AFR.

People ARE doing it. Whether you can do it depends on if you find the right CFIs on both sides of the fence to sign it off.

You will not get a consensus here. Talk to CLARC and Mick Poole if you want the definitive answer, then come back and tell us what it is! :big_grin:

According to a recent CASA discussion paper, it is OK to do a BFR in a AAus registered aircraft and satify CASA requirements for a BFR if... the person issuing the BFR is a CASA instructor approved to issue a BFR and holds a RAAus Pilot Certificate for the type of Aircraft. S/he does not have to be a RAAus instructor. Howzat??

The discussion paper cited existing legislation. The relevant quote is below:

5.3.4 Currently, aeronautical experience gained in an RA-Aus registered aeroplane may count for up to 750 of the 1500 hours of aeronautical experience required to qualify for an Australian Air Transport (aeroplane) Pilot Licence. Additionally, an aeroplane that is used for the pilot’s aeroplane flight review for all levels of licence can be registered with RA-Aus – the only requirement being that the instructor conducting the review must be qualified to conduct a flight review and also to be in command of an RA-Aus aeroplane if this is the one used for the review.

Responce from CASA

Maintenance of PPL

"If I have a ppl and an Raaus certificate and keep my medical current but only do BFR's in 19 registered Raaus aircraft every 2 years does that keep my PPL current? IE I can fly in controlled airspace etc."

After numerous calls to current RAAUS CFI's, RAAUS office and emails to Mick Poole(no reply yet) produced conflicting responces I contacted CASA licencing and was able to talk to a Senior Assesor who without hesitation supplied the following responce to my question above.

Yes a PPL can be maintained by doing BFR's in an RAAUS aircraft (HP) only if it is done by a

Current

CASA approved GA Instructor that also holds an RAAUS certificate.

The question was asked in relation to doing the BFR in 19 registered aircraft. It goes without saying if the RAAUS aircraft is VH registered then obviously no problem.

This answered my question, just thought I'd share what I learnt.

Regards

Greg

naremman

Have just recently completed a PPL AFR, in conjuction with a GA to RAA transition to achieve a RAA Pilot Certificate.

Phil Butherway was the gentleman that made this possible, and holds GA/RAA Instructor ratings.

A bit rare to kill two birds with one stone in aviation