FFAARRKKK rying out loud..

Scary bastard things.. The speed they get up when they pull their wings in is amazing.. Missed one by a few feet outside Emerald Qld a couple of years ago. You cant do anything about either.

Well done on getting it down in one piece.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its the aussie way, to laugh in the face of danger. But ...

Apologies if anyone was offended by my flippant remarks a few posts back.

But you've got to be very happy indeed that Darky and her instructor were able to safely bring the plane back despite the significant damage to the tailplane - as others have pointed out, it could have been a very nasty outcome.

It got me thinking about how a composite airframe would have fared - Jabiru f'rinstance. The metal tailplane in this case has been able to absorb a substantial amount of kinetic energy by progressively deforming - in a composite however, you would get some very large torsional and compressive/tension forces which could possibly lead to structural failure.

Maybe also a case for the all flying tail - I'd imagine a conventional tailplane/elevator setup might have resulted in the elevator jamming in this situation.

Also a testament to the Warrior - looking at Darky's pics and those of the BZA/UMB midair shows they can remain flyable in the face of significant damage.

Full flying tail.

I'm not a fan of the full flying tail. Neither is Bill Whitney (unless he has changed his mind). Has to be set up very carefully, or it is a hazard. It is aerodynamically efficient, and that is why it is used. A common feature of the Piper aircraft family. I don't think that absorbing birdstrikes is what it would be good at, but it did this time.

If you suspect that you have airframe damage and possible control difficulties you have to consider a lot of FACTORS.

Is the airframe weakened.? Slow down and avoid abrupt control inputs. this brings another problem . Will the plane behave badly at low speed. Will flap extension cause more control difficulties? can or should the load be moved around to help.

Landing at the nearest suitable field is the deal also. Nev

Scary bastard things.. Missed one by a few feet outside Emerald Qld a couple of years ago...

Hi Gibbo

They can be real scary but I think he may have had more to do with the miss than did you.

I shared a thermal with one in an L13 many years ago and he kept on turning his head to look at me in a very unfriendly manner. All of a sudden he cut across the circle and executed a near miss on the canopy above my head before folding his wings and plummeting towards the ground. Moral---- beware cross birds.

Years later, I was doing fire watch duty in a tower at Kangaroo Ground (Vic) as a very healthy thunderstorm approached. Three wedgies were enjoying the frontal lift when they got caught in the serious updraft. Two folded and came down but the third disappeared into the blackness of a very angry CB and nothing more was seen of him.... plucked and frozen poultry, methinks. Moral ---- stay away from thunderstorms!

Cheers

kaz

kaz