Cylinder bore corrosion

facthunter

Obviously Ian Bent at CAMit sees the effect of it enough to incorporate an oil injector system for use on shutdown. Nev

Sounds like a great idea to me. The old-fashioned Redex lubro-chargers are still around. I think it pumped 2cc from memory into the inlet manifold as you shut-down. Just enough to leave an oily film on the bores.

Had a Morris 1100 fitted with one decades ago, which I thrashed the hell out of as a company rep. It had just over 200,000 miles on it when I got rid of it, and it was still running quite well, which is not bad for a small BMC "A" series engine. No wonder Datsun took on the basic design with a few mods for their 1200.

I did use to change oil and filter more regularly than most though.

I'm a firm believer in it's merit's, especially in colder climates. Most of the ring wear takes place on starting from cold.

Adding UCL or 2 stroke oil into your fuel ( as a lot do ).....surely this is one benefit of the practice.......bore protection.

If you inject oil it has to get where you need it. If you trickle it into the manifold it's likely to only go to one place along the lowest part. Fine spray under pressure works better. The dessicator plug is good A squirt of DWF at the time wouldn't go astray either. I suggest outboard oil diluted with avgas. sprayed. Nev

No the 912 bores are nikasil surface on an aluminium casting. They don't rust. about the only thing to look for in a 912 sitting for a while is valve stem corrosion. (Exhaust valves) easy to check with the exhausts off.

Re the added two stroke oil . It is usually at a very low %. less than 1/2 cup to a tank.. Might help a bit as Jabiru and some others advise against this I make no recommendation here Outboard has extra rust additives, and they all mix well but still mix with about a gallon and add and they don't affect octane rating. it's possible with avgas that goes OFF easily anyhow that the oil might be considered as with premix. ie don't let it get old. Nev

• 3 weeks later...

Just found this again. Re turning engine over by hand.

JABIRU ADVISORY ENGINE BULLETIN #18 – December 2010

To all Dealers and Maintenance Persons

DAILY "PULL THROUGH"

Daily pull through is required on the Jabiru engine. Recently, a costly repair was caused by the infrequent task of noting compressions. If in doubt, a competent person will check the cylinder/head condition (leak down) and undertake follow up corrective action. A semi sealing valve will cause corrosive build up on stem and guide. The instance above caused the piston to impact the valve head and break it off due to the valve outgrowing the guide.

Cheers

JEM