What went on in the cockpit of QF32 out of Singapore when the engine popped.

Captain

I can picture them now, "Rightio, fuel is on, mixture full rich, turn the carby heat on will ya..."

Just keeping a logical thought process going would have been a real challenge in that cockpit, not to mention fighting the psycological human factors instincts of 'this can't be happening, this plane is near new.'

A top effort by this crew and it will be great in time, reading fully their accounts as I believe we could all learn something from this incident.

Guest burbles1

Can't help thinking why such sophisticated aircraft don't have strategically located cameras pointed at engines, control surfaces, etc. All those monitoring instruments on the panel can contradict each other and lead to confusion - whereas a view from outside would give the crew much more info about honing in on particular checklist points.

That should all be posted on the newspapers sites. They are forever knocking Qantas. The other day somebody commented that Qantas was worse than Garuda. I doubt Garuda would have been able to handle the situation, nor many other airlines.

Worse than XYZ.

I agree with you Yenn. The amount of pilot training varies and the level of experience also. Qantas have high scores in both. This incident is the responsibility of RR and to some extent QA for the arrangement fot the maintenance, but you can understand that to some management a "deal" to allocate out to the maker of the product, a total package might seem a good idea.. You are not in the loop then, and RR are not infallible.

Many "new" engines have quite large teething troubles. I can't recollect one that didn't. An uncontained engine failure is the worst.

The aircraft was in a perilous situation and the crew got it through that. They ARE well trained and it shows. Crews spend many hours in simulators having all sort of emergencies sprung on them. They are disciplined and know what to do. Their individual roles are laid down. The procedures are supposed to be logical and there is not much left for the crew to do but what is laid down in the procedures. There is not much room for INDIVIDUAL initiative.

The time taken to work through the warnings is a concern, luckily there was no fire or they would have had to do it in less time, as the priority is to get the thing on the ground ASAP. Nev

Comment.

Sadly QF is part of the race to the bottom with hiring Pilots on overseas wages.. just look at Jetstar and their crewing arrangemets.

Don't disagree with that either U/L. The crew on this flight were different , but who knows where it's going? Nev

They still did not intentionally dump fuel

A report i have read from a few mates still in QF stated that the fuel dump was inoperative, and the fuel transfer system was knocked out as well. (well the wiring controlling the fuel transfer and dump pumps was severed)

It was very skillful and professional.. but still involved lots of luck. Its not about Qantas or Jetstar or Cathay or Virgin or Delta... I think for the most part their are a lot of very, very professional pilots out there and they are doing a good job of overseeing the safe operation of these quality airlines... These guys did an exceptional job... but just add the nose gear not being down... or the fuel imbalance being 20 tonnes towards the tail... The mind boggles... just how fortunate they are the faults didn't occur in a slightly different order or the engine blow at a slightly different time.

In my eyes, QANTAS pilots are the best in the world... Call it a slightly bios opinion, not that i have ties, but i love this bloody country and the quality human beings it produces. but at the same time i do believe that QF32 avoided Australia's first major jet crash. All credit to my hero's and long live this impeccable record we hold.

Cheers

NADA