Tif

Latestarter

Just had my first TIF at Recreational Pilots Academy at Murray Bridge. Was a gift from the darl. Nerve wracking but what a buzz. I am planning my bucks so I can start and keep going. Diana was my instructor and she was great, professional, efficient and enthusiastic. Any tips regarding learning in tail draggers as I have dreams of an old plane one day and like the tail dragger idea. Maybe a Tiger Moth one day!

cheers all

Still high!

Any tips regarding learning in tail draggers as I have dreams of an old plane one day and like the tail draggers.098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif Latestarter,good fun isn`t it?

Tips for taildrager students.........Learning to tap dance helps 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif.

Seriously....The main difference between a tail drager and a tricycle is that the tail drager requires more foot work (Rudder Control) to keep it running straight, while on the ground.

My method is to keep firm pressure on both rudder pedals then if applying right rudder pedal I ease off the pressure on the left pedal,without taking my foot off that pedal,this allows me to use my left foot to stop the aircraft going too far to the right ,the same applies when using the left rudder pedal,simply reverse the process.

Pressure to both feet, keeping both feet on the pedals,work your feet in coordination with each other to keep the aircraft straight.

Cheers,

Frank.

Hi LS, welcome to not only this forum, but to the world of aviation. Glad you went to RPA, I did as well and still hire and fly from there. Diana is lovely isn't she, never seen her in a funk. Get to know the Jab LSA and then you'll find any other plane easy to fly, even a tail dragger. Hopefully they'll get the Lightwing back in the air soon then I'll complete my conversion as well.

Well done mate! I've done a couple of hours at RPA now as well (With Di) - she is a very good instructor. I'm doing some work with James so I can get my L2 authority and the Lightwing is in my sights to get flying as well. I'm keen to do the taildragger thing also. There's not really that much to do - the main thing is for James to find an engine for it and then tidy up the wiring and get it painted. Shouldn't take too long.

Drop in some time and I'll show around the Lightwing if you're interested. I'm planning on being there Monday thru Wednesdays most weeks.

Tif 2

Thanks everyone, it's great to get plenty of responses.

It was a Jabiru LSA (had 2200 under the prop). Seemed like a good un, what do you all reckon?

Thanks Dazza 38.

Thanks Frank, it seems like the hardest thing to get under control will be take off and landing and keeping it all pointing the right way!

Thanks Desk Pilot, I'll no doubt see you around the Bridge, it's good to see tail dragging isn't a weird curiosity.

Thanks Thirsty, I would like to check out the Lightwing as it looks like a good thing. Flat out at work until next year now but will be keen to make 2011 the year of the plane!

The Future.

There are a lot of Tiger Moths in Australia. Many of them (Most) have been rebuilt and they are cheaper than some U/L's. Taildraggers are alive and well but they will never again be the majority as they once were. A small number of pilots will always go for what they offer, including the extra challenge. It's not compulsory. Nev

Latestarter - I posted a while ago about anyone interested in a syndicate. This is where 2 or more people own an aircraft and share the costs. I was looking at the Skyranger with a jab 2.2 which I worked out would cost around $40K to build. If you're interested in sharing the cost of an aircraft maybe we could talk at some stage. I'd be happy with a tail dragger as well - top speed around 80Kn or so would be cool with me. Maybe a Lightwing or something?

Yeah I've already started to get the hang of it so it can be done. You'll be right, just need to stick with it.

As for the syndicate, I'm not looking to purchase in the near future either unless the right aircraft came up.

G'day Latestarter. I noticed that you joined back in March - looks like you've been planning this little TIF for a while! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

It's a good idea to get the budget in order at the start like you said. You lose 'touch' when you don't fly, and when it's all new you lose it even faster, so to have to stop in the middle of the training wastes a fair ol' whack of that hard-earned... 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Hi guys, this is for the newbies. Remember a while back some of you were saying about the 'huge' rudder inputs that were necessary in the LSA55? Getting smaller are they 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

It's something you get used to and you'll soon be flying so relaxed and not thinking about it at all............until you land. Make sure that you concentrate on your approach and landing configuration. What's the old saying, the finish is all in the preparation. It doesn't matter if you're a little too fast, you'll just float a bit longer, but NEVER LET IT GET SLOW. Jab undercarriages are known to break, easily. I don't want to turn up at RPA and find out thet you lot have wrecked my planes 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Couple of thoughts.

Latestarter, getting back to your post last night. I like the Drifter but if you want to carry two people you need a 582 and a good prop on a SB. Be careful with the undercarriage and know how to inspect and service the plane. Don't touch anything that's been near salt. Unequalled view from the cockpit. Great in a warm climate.

The Skyranger has a lot of room and a very serviceable undercarriage. 80 HP Rotax is good enough for most. Meets BCAR standards.

The Zlin Savage Cub is a good taildragger. Traditional Cub looks.

The Eurofox is worth a look too.

There's plenty of others but beware of corrosion and "lifed" components in older models.

There are plenty of Jabs out there and some do quite long trips across australia, and a well built plane from Gary Morgan's stable might be the go.

You make your own decision and the more research you put into it , the better your result.

I enjoyed my Citabria but it is 750 Kgs (GA Reg). Nev

Ok Facthunter, I'm going to need to learn the language.

Don't laugh at the silly questions!

Good prop on a SB?

BCAR standards?

Is there a sweet spot to look in? Maybe a certain age and hours? I've looked at various ads and the references to hours regarding props, airframes etc is interesting but I am ignorant so what are some general guidelines?

I like the idea of an older aircraft for character etc but expect there is many traps that could be expensive. I would expect though that rules governing maintenance records should help avoid that? Any funny areas to be aware of? Please feel free everyone to throw in some info and advice. I am completely new to all of this.

A little explanation.

There are wire braced and strut braced drifters. (WB and SB) "Good " prop means properly matched to the engine, otherwise you don't get all the thrust.

BCAR is the "british" equivalent of CASA. They set the highest airworthiness standards.

Sweet spot for "Life" of plane. Look for NDH. (Nil damage history). You need all logbooks and the most expert on type inspection. Always hangared, no corrosion, low hours (preferable below 1,200) Check the condition of the fabric strength, and ensure the engine was looked after when stored. 2-strokes generally seem to rest between flights better than some 4 strokes as 2-strokes always have a fair bit of oil around their insides, including the inside of the muffler. They dont have a very high TBO. (time between overhaul). so you might be faced with an engine replacement soon. Some engines are going out of production. (smaller Rotax's) Nev.

I'm actually thinking about an LSA55 as a possibility too. Very cheap at present and not much corrosion to worry about. I'll be keeping my plane outside probably (covered) so glass seems like a good idea.

Originally I was thinking Thruster (similar to Drifter but side by side seating) but I don't think they would like living outside very much. The other benefit with the Jab is the speed. Quite fast enough to do interstate trips.

Hi Latestarter,

Can't beat a drifter if you want that flying by the seat of your pants feeling, complete with the bugs in your teeth! A reasonable second hand one costs from $15,000. Easy to maintain and hold their value well. just try to go for a flight in one. They are also tail draggers!

Good luck and welcome.

Ian