Flying over built up areas in a 19 registered aircraft

Thirsty

Hi all,

as the subject says is it possible to get a permanent approval to fly over built up areas in a kit built aircraft like a Skyranger? Seems to me it would be a fair problem if I couldn't fly over country towns and/or outer suburbs of larger towns in my 19 registered aircraft.

According to cao 95.55 RAA or CASA can allow it but it doesn't mention permanent approvals.

Thanks

Flying over built up area approval

Call

Steve Bell

Technical Manager

Recreational Aviation Australia

3/1 Pirie Street

Fyshwick ACT 2609

Australia

Ph: +61 2 6280 4700 Fax: +61 2 6280 4775

I just emailed them. My approval is in force unless cancelled.

Your aircraft must have an "approved engine" (NOT converted auto engine).

RAAUS is always happy to assist.

Guest burbles1

That's great info about approvals. Reading the CAO 95.55 literally, you'd think that there's no way you could fly a 19 rego over built-up areas - until you ask, that is.

• 3 weeks later...

The interesting thing is, if you ask CASA for a list of "Approved Engines", they don't have one. It is just taken that Rotax is acceptable and auto conversions are not but there is no modern day testing to prove to CASA that auto engines can be deemed as acceptable to be included on the (non existent) 'Approved' list. It would be for someone with an interest to argue the point with them.

• 3 years later...
The interesting thing is, if you ask CASA for a list of "Approved Engines", they don't have one. It is just taken that Rotax is acceptable and auto conversions are not but there is no modern day testing to prove to CASA that auto engines can be deemed as acceptable to be included on the (non existent) 'Approved' list. It would be for someone with an interest to argue the point with them.

I wonder if this applies to Viking engines? These motors are based on Honda automotive engines but they are set up with levels of redundancy for 'aeromotive' use.