Training .....

Hello All,

First time poster, complete and utter green newbie (not just a newbie, a green newbie, I know that planes normally have one or two or more engines, usually one or two or more pilots/crew, can have 2,3,6-20 wheels and avgas apparently looks clear and can be mistaken for water...) I'm a mature aged student (32!) and have always dreamed of flying on my own (Great way to leave the loving wife behind and find a little adventure!) 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif.

I've got a lot of questions, and have been asking on other forums, and besides posts being deleted (I suspect some of the questions being as up front as I am may have upset the moderators, due to

My first, of hopefully many many many many silly questions, is this: -

1. I've talked to a couple of schools who offer part time training (Sadly I have to work for a living, the 60-100 hours per week will be a little restrictive on my flight time, but If I can find the right club/school and trainers I'll be there come hell/high water to undertake the training.. I may not always get it, and I may sport my usual confused face when asked to explain things, but I'll try... I was wondering if anyone would care to elaborate either in private or in public forum there training experiences with brisbane based (SEQ, I'm off to toowoomba later in the week to try out a club out there on another TIF, its a long way to go, but I really liked the attitude of the chap that called up from my web query, actually sounded like he gave a damn, and spent 15 minutes on the phone answering questions...)

In Summary, I tend to waffle, Good/Bad/Indifferent Experiences in your early days learning how to fly in brisbane.

I am based in brisbane, I am eager to undertake training (I'll let you know more this afternoon, if I get off the ground with a TIF (I dont know about this weather, the only time I get off during the week for the entire year, and it has to rain, I tell you what! (I've swapped tomorrow for wednesday the 29th December so I can try another school out)

Any and all information, guidings, experience and rumors are greatly appreciated...

Green Newbie... Red - Aka Mark..

Guest burbles1

Take the time to check out all the schools, even out of town. If you like the sound of one particular school then that's a good sign they'll spend the time to explain things. Spend half a day at each school just observing them and see how they treat students - there's no rush to get in the air. Do they take the time to explain things and answer questions? Ask them what training manuals they recommend, and have a look through their copy. You'll know soon if you like them - learning to fly is not just about liking the feel of the aircraft, you need to get along with the instructor to feel good about it too. I had a bad experience with one school that claimed they were professional - but were far too slow and laid-back; not professional at all. I'm in Sydney and willingly travel two hours to the right flying school even though there are others close by.

Good luck!

I've sent a fax off to airsport, and am trying one in toowoomba, trying one in archerfield today... Here is the next silly question, Is it possible to book back to back TIF's? Excuse my impetious nature, just eager to learn... I've heard the ones at archerfield, though they say you get an hour, because of time on the ground, you get only 15 mins or less in the air... (I think its the dutch in me trying to squeeze every penny)

Red

hi Red,

hey its raining cats and dogs in tmba at the moment. You are aware that you can do a Pilot certificate and/or a Private Pilot Licence? Certificate is a lot cheaper and a lot less work than a PPL and if you are only flying for fun a cheaper option to start with.

p

Guest skidmark1975
Hello All, My first, of hopefully many many many many silly questions,

There is no such thing as silly questions, just silly answers.

If you like the instructor, you are half way there.....

Good luck, I started at the age of 32 and took a while due to work commitments but it was well and truly worth it.

Thats what I say to the apprentices at work :) Though I do ask very silly questions, and I tend to tell people that I ask them upfront :) I find just like everyone else, that it doesnt make on ounce of sense in your head, when you verbalise it and get the initial expression from your instructor/mentor/etc the brain kicks in and you go agh/ah... I'm an idiot ;)

Mark

AND! I forgot, I asked this same question of the two that I've booked this week, and they both said to get started I need my security clearances done before I can fly, the one at boonah that was mentioned above, states I dont need the checks... though I've printed all the paperwork and now just have to get some ugly photos of my mug before I go in ;)

AND! I forgot, I asked this same question of the two that I've booked this week, and they both said to get started I need my security clearances done before I can fly, the one at boonah that was mentioned above, states I dont need the checks... though I've printed all the paperwork and now just have to get some ugly photos of my mug before I go in ;)

Thats correct at Boonah, as it is does not a have any RPT traffic going in and out of the place.A ASIC/ AVID is not required.If your going to go GA, Eg-Archerfield.You will need one.

Just called up, doesnt look good for flights today out of archerfield until next week :( oh well... Such is life :) Rescheduled for Sunday... You cant help the weather! Here is another question about medicals (I had a VERY long well constructed message but when I posted it, the BB software poped up a message about r-o-t-o-r spamming?) With the class 2 which is what is required for the ppl, what is actually needed for the test, I've asked a few medico's what is required (Can never get to the doctor just there staff), from what I've managed to glean from them it seems that as long as you've never had a stroke/heart attack you will get the class 2...

Guest burbles1

For a Class 2 GA medical, you need to book an appointment with a DAME - see CASA's website (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_91521). You'll need to fill in a medical form at the DAME, submit a urine sample, go through physical tests for Body Mass Index, blood pressure, colour blindness, past medical history, etc. If it's a straightforward examination, you may get a Class 2 come through in a month or so. Get this done first, because there can be long holdups if CASA asks for more medical tests - you can do GA dual training without a Class 2, but you need a Class 2 for solo flights. I had long holdups because of further psychological tests and ECG tests due to high blood pressure - after nine months I finally was able to convince CASA I wasn't a health risk. That is all for GA training.

If you opt for RA training, you only need to satisfy that you have the medical standard sufficient to drive a motor vehicle. RA has less stringent medical requirements, and the aircraft hire is cheaper than GA too.

First you need to decide if you will fly general aviation (Cessnas, Pipers etc) or recreational aviation (AKA Ultralights). Keep in mind though that some recreational aircraft now are quite sophisticated things. This forum is generally recreational aviation based, but there are quite a few GA people on here (I'm GA).

Recreational aviation is cheaper and less onerous, but has a number of limitations. General aviation flying has more theory and more onerous requirements, but if you want to fly at night, in cloud, upside down or get paid to fly passengers, eventually you will need to go to GA. You can start off in RA and the hours count for GA, so it is your choice.

If you go GA yes, you will need a medical and a security check, get both done ASAP. For GA you only need a Class 2 medical for a private licence, you need a Class 1 for a commercial licence. Some people who want to go commercial get a Class 1 initially to make sure they can get the medical - before spending a fortune on training.

I'm in SEQ and if you do go GA, I can recommend both the Darling Downs Aero Club, and Aerotec at Toowoomba. Fantastic dedicated people and good instruction. You won't go wrong there. I haven't flown at all the Archerfield schools so take this as a generalisation, but I have no recommendations there at all. The only experiences I've had there are bad ones, but others may have a different view. The landing fees there are expensive and you will have to pay for this. However you will gain valuable experience in flying at an airport with a control tower.

Other places to try are Redcliffe and Caboolture. Redcliffe has an RA school and the aero club (GA). I haven't flown with them, they were not able to do the training I needed at the time.

ADFA at Caboolture is run by a guy with a good reputation, Bryan Carpenter. It would be worthwhile going up there for a look as well. Keep in mind the airstrip there is grass and with all this rain they may not be flying until the strip dries out.

Thanks! I am trying to find a medico that I can get my class 2 General Aviation medical done at, but they all seem to be on holidays/breaks/to busy or no answering... I'll keep trying, my first goal is to get in the air, and see if I can hack it ;)

Guys I would like to say thank you for your help over the last 24 hours, I've gleaned more information from you chaps in 24 hours, than the last few weeks on some other forums... Very much appreciated.

Your the second person to not speak that highly of the guys at archerfield, I'm going to go and say hello, the worse I can get is 1/2 and hour of training towards the final goal... I would dearly love to find somewhere close to work and home to do my training, but If I have to travel to get a better education, so be it!

I'm going to flick an email off to the guys at redcliffe and caboolture (I spend 6 months going up and down to caboolture for a tafe course, so that will be okay... Nothing against the RA guys, I would prefer just a little more between me, the elements and the bugs... ;)