What is an "unstoppable landing"?

flying dog

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Maj Millard

Maybe they mean a downhill landing, on wet grass, with a 15 kt tailwind to keep your **** cool ?.................................Maj...

I was reading an article not exactly on human factors I got from somewhere, This term was mentioned.What does it mean?

I'll have a go...

I reckon it's a landing you must have - in other words, no go around. Maybe deadstick or the landing you only get one go at - like the one at that airport in the Himalayas, what's it called... Lukla? You must land and you can't stop it!!

Pud

Guest rocketdriver
I was reading an article not exactly on human factors I got from somewhere, This term was mentioned.What does it mean?

I Reckon its what happens after the fan stops!:big_grin:

It means that when you are flying the Space Shuttle and you are attempting to land back on Earth basically, you miss and you just then continue for infinity off into outer space. Of course if you hit a lump of rock on your journey then it's the bits of you that are "unstopable" 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

Rick-p

Guest Maj Millard

I used to do 'unstoppable' takeoffs in my Biplane where you would roll down a steep slope with no brakes fitted, and it was aviate, or end up in the gully at the bottom !!...........................................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

P1260711.JPG.24566e3f867ebabe095d7629400d7d95.JPG

P1260713.JPG.4c2e6ad66bcea96d59b84efb3f2349a8.JPG

P2010734.JPG.0ad4554bfe6411408b0acaefb1930205.JPG

P2010717.JPG.7df91fe9b036f7e2ec5588b60b8a7572.JPG

There used to be a concept in accident investigation circles where the term " Compulsive landing" was in vogue. This is where the pilot becomes "fixated' on carrying out the landing when a proper assessment of the situation would lead to the conclusion that the chances of achieving a satisfactory outcome are unlikely. It would be a "human factors" consideration. Nev

I used to do 'unstoppable' takeoffs in my Biplane where you would roll down a steep slope with no brakes fitted, and it was aviate, or end up in the gully at the bottom !!...........................................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Ross, I love it.........Sorts out the men from the boys.

Frank.

Guest davidh10

Maybe, landing on a one way runway, like YMBT. At Mount Beauty, Landings and takeoffs are permitted on runway 32, although you are below 500' above the houses when you turn onto final and then have to clear the dam wall before reaching the displaced threshold. The reciprocal runway (14) is for landing only due to the mountain you are facing only 0.7 miles beyond the runway, where it is already a couple of hundred feet above runway level.

Guest davidh10
David,I`m confused,how would the situation you`ve described be classified as an *Unstopable Landing*.

Not grammatically correct, but you cannot stop performing the landing and go-around... there's a hill in the way. You must continue to land.

Don't ya just love English..it's like statistics !

Guest Maj Millard

David , You are permitted of course below 500 Ft above houses, if you are on a landing approach..........................Maj...

I'd reckon Dieselten's 'unstoppable landing' scenario could perhaps be better described as an 'unscheduled departure' or an 'abbreviated 1/2 circuit'??

Well, blow me down.

I have gone back to the document and I can not find that term anywhere.

Am I going nuts? (Don't answer that)

Sorry folks. Dunno what I read or how I got "unstopable landing" in my head.

When you fly a hang glider they are all unstoppable except those landing back on top. I had one of those downhill slope problems. The paddock looked flat but wasn't. Couldn't get the B***** down, just snuck over the barbed wire fence at the end & hit the trees at the end of the next paddock. Wounded pride only.

When you fly a hang glider they are all unstoppable except those landing back on top. I had one of those downhill slope problems. The paddock looked flat but wasn't. Couldn't get the B***** down, just snuck over the barbed wire fence at the end & hit the trees at the end of the next paddock. Wounded pride only.

Similar experience as yours except ended in great pile of cow crap.

"herd" all the jokes from my mates.