Google Earth flying tools

PapaFox

I've put a couple of files in the Downloads section that might come in handy.

Simply put, they are the entire collection of designated airspace within Aus, all of the flight information boundaries, and the area forecast boundaries.

I'll keep them all updated when any updates are published. The files are only shortcuts to the live versions on my server, so you won't have to do anything regarding the updates... all automatic.

Naturally, these aren't to be used for navigation.

• 4 months later...

These files have now been revised to the latest airspace changes (2 June 2011).

I've attached the network links here, seeing as though the downloads section has been removed. Just save these files and change the extension to .kml

Australian GE Airspace.txt

Australian GE Area Forecast.txt

Australian GE FIA.txt

Australian GE FIA.txt

Australian GE FIA.txt

• Like 1

Guest Jake.f

How do we incorporate these into GE? As in I get how to change the extension, but which folder should I put them in?

I've put a couple of files in the Downloads section that might come in handy.Simply put, they are the entire collection of designated airspace within Aus, all of the flight information boundaries, and the area forecast boundaries.

I'll keep them all updated when any updates are published. The files are only shortcuts to the live versions on my server, so you won't have to do anything regarding the updates... all automatic.

Naturally, these aren't to be used for navigation.

Guys, I learned to write on a slate with chalk.

Would someone please have pity and explain politely and in very simple terms what benefit I might get from this and how I achieve it?

Thanks

kaz

PS If it is going to take more than a page or two, please just let me know it's all beyond me and I'll forego the enlightenment.... Thx

• Agree 1

Some of us are real dummies when it comes to these new fangled computers, but this is interesting and I would love to be able to use GE in this way, please explain in a way us cave men understand 033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

download and install google earth, download the files and save as kml extensions. double click on the files to launch google earth and behold!

or launch google earth and load the kml files via file open

Firstly....do you have Google Earth? If not, download it from here and install it.

PapaFox has changed the filenames because I assume the forum will not allow Google Earth "kml" files so their names have been changed to "txt" files. You need to change them back by renaming them. Right click on the files above and choose "save as" and in the filename delete the "txt" and replace with "kml" and then save.

Double click these new kml files on your computer to start Google Earth and open them.

Each file shows you shaded areas and boundaries overlaid on your Google Earth map. The airspace file shows you various classes of airspace and restricted areas in 3d which gives you a visual representation of CTA steps. The other two files show the boundaries of weather and FIA areas. Clicking on the areas in any of the files gives you more info about that area.

When you close Google Earth it will ask you if you want to permanently save these "Temporary Places". Saying yes will make them available in your Google Earth "Places" folder on the left hand side every time you use Google earth. As with all the items in the "Places" folder you can check or uncheck the box next to "Australian Airspace" to make them visible or invisible.

Couldn't have said it better Powerin 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif. One catch might be that when it first opens up, the whole airspace group might be collapsed. Clicking on the plus symbol on the left side bar will reveal the classes and individual areas.

I just find it handy for the pre-planning stage. You can get a good feel for the terrain, can easily see any airspace that needs to be avoided, can measure distances and bearings, etc. Particularly good when you would otherwise have to handle multiple maps.

Firstly....do you have Google Earth? If not, download it from here and install it............... As with all the items in the "Places" folder you can check or uncheck the box next to "Australian Airspace" to make them visible or invisible.

Thank you very much, Powerin... I did it!

Well, you really did it and I just followed your instructions.

But it works and I just flew into Alice Springs like I did the last time I was there in 2009.

Wow!

kaz

No worries kaz...glad to help!

I'll have to put in another request to Ian to allow Google Earth kml/kmz file attachments. He changed it for us on the old forum software but it obviously hasn't been changed on the new software yet.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...

Hmmm ... I think myself fairly computer literate (having taught it for 15 years) but I can't get them to work. I downloaded the txt files and renamed them as per instructions. I loaded them into GE and I could see that they are referencing some KMZs on another server, but nothing seems to happen. Am I doing something wrong, or have the KMZs been deleted or is this server not available anymore?

Doug:

Yes the primary files exist on this thread, but those files just contain links to the actual KMZ files that used to reside on the author's server.

If you rename the files with the .KML extension as the author mentioned, they will load into GE and show up in the side bar. Then if you right click on these new entries, a popup menu appears. At the bottom of this menu is "properties". Click that and you will see a dialog box, and on the general tab, you'll see the actual file links listed there as http:// ... Those are the files that no longer exist.

The author did this so he could easily update the real files on his own server and not have to upload them here every time there was an update. Each time you go into GE, those links would load the latest updates for you.

HTH

All should be working again with the links. I hadn't renewed the domain due to lack of use, and the files on the server are rather out of date, however I have been working on updating it again, so will upload the current version when finished

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hi everyone. I am trying to get Aus airspace overlays into google earth. The links above are not working. Anyone have any ideas? Any help apprecriated.

Thanks

On 03/06/2021 at 11:46 AM, Petunia said:

Hi everyone. I am trying to get Aus airspace overlays into google earth. The links above are not working. Anyone have any ideas? Any help apprecriated.

Thanks

I use this site when I haven't got access to Avplan

Airspace

• Like 2