This is a new one for my 'stable'. Something a little different and an update from a older model.

VT (Vectored Thrust) - ICE ( Inverted Chunnel {CHannel/tUNNEL} Experimental.

Why? why not. The channel or tunnel wing was a successful design in it's day but didn't survive due to cost and complexity. I've inverted and modified it to bring the center of lift forward a bit without having the wing tips so far forward that you loose sight of the airstrip in a turn. It will also keep the sun off your bonce at times.

VT? Gotta try something new. As for gyroscopic problems....a pair of contra-rotating props should cancel each other out, and to get get around the 'one engine, one prop argument', it's a single propulsion system on a common shaft.

Nay Sayers will no doubt raise the question of it falling off etc. No more dangerous than a helo or gyro plane. If their 'Jesus nut' comes off..................................

You may also note that my model has finally taken on some nice curves. Amazing what you can learn by reading the rules.

143455007_VT-ICEiso.jpg.dfe93aa56bfa1bb6bf7e1f89ca9d61a3.jpg

1391250077_VT-ICElowfrontthreequarterview.jpg.8a4f97781c9fb8f8a95b0881c708f3fd.jpg

1249473488_VT-ICErearthreequarterview.jpg.b50f242c2b4d803263e1cabf03d97884.jpg

1187703925_VT-ICEtopview.jpg.8ef6f6922669bb35b7614ea16d2634d9.jpg

688428690_VT-ICEfrontview.jpg.f46141e32ff87817f84b01c4bf1f4cd5.jpg

1020560994_VT-ICEsideview.jpg.364dbbe7a25841b39856ad8057f2cdd4.jpg

742855586_VT-ICErearview.jpg.e66805397c93db2d23a53d6a129a7418.jpg

I wonder which part of the wing would stall first?..........

I've no idea mate. It might not even fly. I'm not an aeronautical engineer/designer. Just a dreamer. An interesting question all the same. I might build a model (glider) just to find out. I've a bundle of balsa wood hidden away for years, might as well use it.

As for my contra-rotating props idea, I'm told by my friends across the pond that there will still be gyroscopic forces at play and the effort to actually move the tail assembly would be huge. Looks like I'll have to redesign for a static prop in front of the duct. Get the sizing right and it would work, but not as effectively as if the prop stayed in line with, and moved with, the duct. AH well, back to the drawing board. First problem is to figure out how to mount the tail and connect the controls. My first idea makes the tail awfully heavy. Solution...........anybody?

• 2 weeks later...

Two things, the interference between the wing and fuselage would cause a fair bit of drag, and if you study the 'Custer Channel Wing' you will see he derived extra lift not so much from the airflow through the channel, but the pressure difference outside the curved surface trying to get to the low pressure area within, thus causing lift.

Your inverted channel will do just that, lift inverted! (downwards that is).

Now, if you put the wing on the bottom.........

Arthur.

011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif011_clap.gif.8adfe837b4189ee6622bf4917d6a88c0.gif011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif Thanks Arthur. I think you'd need a long ladder to get into it.

I've given up on this project due to insufficient knowledge of gyro's (and I was trained on them to some degree) My theory of contra-rotating props for vectored thrust has been shot down yet I was looking at a 'personal helicopter' yesterday where the guy had C/R props on a frame which he tilted for direction control. Seemed to work for him ????

• 3 months later...

What a great experimenter, it's just delicious to see inventive brains at work. There is , of course, no good reason to put your life at risk that way. I couldn't see any real improvement on a "normal" tail.....But great to see anyway,, ..................Plus I just watched the "fighter jet" video. How great is that. I love America, the land of aviation experimenters!!!!! (Crap world political attitudes) But THE land of aviation pioneers...10 minutes later.............After doing some surfing I found a video of "Archon Lygisitis and friends" The damn thing is Greek! But still bloody great

Mark has now started on a new design. What it is, well that's a closely kept secret for now.

Ultralights, unpowered flight is still fully controllable, providing the speed is kept up, of course.

As Mark said, the object of designing these 'different' aircraft is just that. They're different. Not every designer looks for a smoother, faster or fancier plane.

The Archon might not be as fast as it looks but who cares. I'd sure be happy to tool around in it.

My hats off to both of these guys. Maybe, one day, I'll be one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched the 'jet fighter Ultralight, that is so cool.041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif

I've had thoughts along this line in the past but wasn't sure how effective the ducted fan would be, there's hope yet.080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

OK, just been to the builders website and found it's NOT a ducted fan (thought that sounded like a normal prop?) it has a pusher prop buried behind the wing, pulling air over the fuse and through the intakes.

clever all the same...prop.gif.61637aee349faef03caaa77c2d86cf41.gif