Tyres

Guest mudjeep

Guest mudjeep

Hi everyone,

I just bought my first plane 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif and flew it home from QLD last weekend. On arrival at Narromine I had a deflating tyre, probably from the runway or taxiway at Gilgandra. We fixed it (thanks Norm) so that I could continue my flight to Goulburn, but today I swung by the hangar and saw that my other tyre was low. The tyres themselves needed replacing anyway, but are only 2-ply so were vulnerable to start with.

Q1. The size is 4.00-6. What exactly does this designate?

Q2. Where can I get them? So far I've only found 5.00 and 6.00 on the net and I'd prefer proper aircraft tyres, at least 6 ply. I don't want to go any bigger as she only flies at 48 knots to start with and I don't want to slow her down any further!

Cheers!

another option is find a local tyre store, and ask, you will be surprised what they can get for you! funny, on our savannahs delivery flight, we had a flat tyre on landing at Ballina! thankfully Mr Hughes of lightwing fame came to the rescue!

Hi everyone,I just bought my first plane 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif and flew it home from QLD last weekend. On arrival at Narromine I had a deflating tyre, probably from the runway or taxiway at Gilgandra. We fixed it (thanks Norm) so that I could continue my flight to Goulburn, but today I swung by the hangar and saw that my other tyre was low. The tyres themselves needed replacing anyway, but are only 2-ply so were vulnerable to start with.

Q1. The size is 4.00-6. What exactly does this designate?

Q2. Where can I get them? So far I've only found 5.00 and 6.00 on the net and I'd prefer proper aircraft tyres, at least 6 ply. I don't want to go any bigger as she only flies at 48 knots to start with and I don't want to slow her down any further!

Cheers!

A 4.00-6 seems an awfully small rim size but give the Dunlop man a call and see what they can do.

http://www.dunlopaircrafttyres.com/products/size-search.aspx

kaz

Bugger the tyres, tell us about your new plane!

I'm with BR, tell us about the plane!

That's great to hear that you finally got around to getting another set of wings. If she only flies at 48 knots, youre a good candidate to be the first 3-axis visitor to our humble airstrip.

Talking of the tyres you're asking about though, it's more likely your tyres are 11 x 4.00 - That's 4 inches rim width and 11 inches outside tyre diameter. My Pursuit10 trike has one on the nose wheel.

Like it or not, most LU and Trike tyres are from golf buggies and ride on mowers. Tread pattern K401 is the most common used by our type. You can even find them on eBay.

I flew over your place last Sunday. No sign of an airstrip yet . . . did a 270 degree left turn to keep away from the 4 horses I spotted from 700ft AGL.

Cheers,

Glen

Those numbers are rim size and either profile or cross section, tyre shop will understand what you need from this. Make sure you get high speed rated, wheel barrow tyers will fit but might let go on high speed bits

Chris Id say Narromine must be better without you, no problems here now. Nice place to live and fly.

no problems here now. Nice place to live and fly.

No problems? Maybe a little bit of an overstatement. But I guess it wasn't too bad a place to grow up. I did get to go to natfly every year. My dad still lives there as well as my wifes family. (sorry to hijack your thread mudjeep).