Great guys

Guest burbles1

Guest burbles1

During my ab initio training, I was taken up the tower at Camden in one of their quieter moments. Those guys are great. I was amazed that in this age of computer wizardry, they still use cards to keep track of traffic rather than anything digital (and therefore liable to failure). I'd love to go up again and just hang out for an hour.

• 9 months later...

Years ago when I was a rep for HGFA on RAPAC, I arranged a visit for a bunch of Hangies to Eagle Farm( Bris), they were amazed at the good nature of all the controllers, and yes, the same simple sophistication. The idea was to help curb VCA's , but it did a lot more in time and every pilot should do this at some stage- there just normal( great) people doing a hard job trying to keep us all safe up there.

080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif080_plane.gif.9d710ddbd073c38dc15beb9aed9f7a37.gif080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif080_plane.gif.9d710ddbd073c38dc15beb9aed9f7a37.gif

Years ago when I was a rep for HGFA on RAPAC, I arranged a visit for a bunch of Hangies to Eagle Farm( Bris), they were amazed at the good nature of all the controllers, and yes, the same simple sophistication. The idea was to help curb VCA's , but it did a lot more in time and every pilot should do this at some stage- there just normal( great) people doing a hard job trying to keep us all safe up there.

I was lucky enough to get a tour of BNE tower 2 weeks ago, those guys and gals were awesome! And the view was pretty good too!

plane.gif

During my ab initio training, I was taken up the tower at Camden in one of their quieter moments. Those guys are great. I was amazed that in this age of computer wizardry, they still use cards to keep track of traffic rather than anything digital (and therefore liable to failure). I'd love to go up again and just hang out for an hour.

I was invited up to the YBAS twr after a bit of engine trouble enroute between Tennant and the Alice. Can't say enough good things about them.

kaz

• 3 weeks later...

I have always had the highest regard for the ATC guys and visited the tower on many occasions at Hamilton NZ for a chat & coffee. The tower was also only 10 metres from the Aero club bar and they often visited us there. A number were club members as well. I remember having to shout the ATC crew after issuing a Mayday call during training (finger just automatically hit the PTT button) and I enjoyed getting them to laugh. Once after returning from a family christmas on boxing day with my wife and dog, I made the request to enter the zone "Piper FWS, 10 miles south, 1500 feet, 2 POB, 1 DOG, 2 bellies full of food & grog & a bunch of Christmas presents, request entry and landing instructions". There was a long silence & Nathan ( now Chief Air Traffic Controller at Wellington International) finally came back through fits of laughter with the approval and landing instructions.008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

They were also brilliant at helping out when things went a bit pear shaped.

• Like 1

Guest Howard Hughes

Have been lucky enough to visit Melbourne, Essendon, Moorabbin, Albury, Sydney, Coffs and Memphis towers over the years, it's great to see what goes on over the other side of the microphone!014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Of course tower controllers have it easy compared to enroute controllers...022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Hey FGTam, just read you were in SE QLD back in Dec.....PM me next time in town and I will organise a guided tour of the Great South East for your viewing pleasure if you wish....

PS best of luck Shags...

Has anyone here ever sat the entrance tests to get into airservices as an en route controller?

I did the whole shooting match some years ago and was accepted, however TAATS was just being launched and the Union argued that the guys who were going to be made redundant by the new technology, should be retrained ahead of new recruits. So I went on to other things.

Guess it has changed a lot since then - they now have an on-line "test" for example. Back then it was basically a written application which got you into a preliminary assessment centre (about 3 hours of tests) which got you an interview, which got you into the weekend intensive assessment, which got you an offer of a training place. Hundreds down to about 20. The tests were memory, multi tasking, mental maths, keeping up under pressure, following verbal instructions, spatial ability (stick figure man upside down, backwards etc - which hand is he holding up?), team exercises. Back then they were highly paid, now I guess some of the gloss is off the job as the pay isn't perceived to be as good as other sectors, like mines.

Regardless; Good Luck Shags!

Sue

Yeah now it's online test, phone interview, day at assessment center, reference check, start training.

The pay still seems pretty good though. Better than what I'm doing now and more importantly get to be around aviation all day...

Good luck to anyone considering applying and starting a career as an ATC. There is certainly a need for new people at the moment - none of us are getting any younger. Make sure that if you organise a tour you arrange it to 'sit in' with the controller on a busy Enroute or Approach sector as well. Sometimes the 'PR' tour is not what you are looking for as either an aviator, or a prospective ATC.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...