How tail wheelers are different.

Teckair

Just speaking from my own expience Mr Techair, my comments are what I have found in flying for a living for thirty odd years (Mainly tailwheels). I have flown most tailwheels from the likes of Pawnee through to 802. My expirence has been working these machines, not just flying around. I am not critising tailwheels in any way, just saying there is a fair bit of hype and untruths around.

One nosewheel machine that was built just for heavy loads and rough short strips is the Kiwi Fletcher, there is not better machine for that sort of work than a Fletcher, for those high, rough, short strips. I was lucky enough to spend time flying Beavers on the same work and while a Beaver is a delightful Aircraft to fly the Fletcher is simply a better machine for the job. In that particular case a nosewheel is better than a tailwheel. Another example of a good performing nosewheel is a Zenair 701 or it's copy the Savana. Strong very good short field performers, have a look at yootoob. There's not many aircraft with that sort of extreme short field capability.

The myths about having to be a hairy chested special pilot and how "Taildraggers" are so hard to fly has only been a fairly recent (Last 20 years?) thing, before then they were just aircraft the same as the rest, some more charismatic. So settle down and don't get so stressed, go for a fly. Doesn't matter if it's not a tailwheel just goen have some fun, that's what flying is if your doing it for a living or just cause yoo can. I mean how hard can tailwheels be, they let me fly them? 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

And the rego on the Pacer has been photoshopped out, the rest I assure is real:yes:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't recall seeing many trike cropdusters. Are there any around? Nev

Yes they used to exist once not sure about now.

When I started this thread the intention was to show the difference between the two types, not to portray TW pilots as aces or superior people and I don't remember anybody saying that anyway. TW pilots are just a group of people who choose to fly a certain type of aircraft.

i don't think anyone is trying to make out that they are aces, but there is always the assertion made. They are not everybody's cup of tea of course, but we tailwheel types don't deserve being accused of "Airs" about it. We are a minority by a long way and plenty out there have NEVER flown one and why not give it a go? It is not even easy to find somewhere to do an endorsement., nowadays, and to hire a plane, I wouldn't know where to start. Insurance companies are very interested in who will fly the plane and how much experience they have on that type. Training is the key to all things. I'm a bit unlucky I suppose. We only had "junk" like Tigers Chipmunks Cubs and Austers to fly so we didn't have much choice. Corrupted from the outset. Nev

Hi Guys, I have not read anywhere here that anybody said they have to be superhuman to fly a TW aircraft. Its comes down to training and who has taught you.This personer of being super human is not helped by sayings around the traps like "Your not a real pilot unless you fly a TW" ect ect.

Having said all that, some people just dont seem to come to grasp with it and walk away.

Thanks for the morale boost, Rocket.

It's great when people bring their expertise from the flying professions into discussions while remembering both the challenges they faced along the way and their pride of achievement as they built their personal store of skills.

Interesting you mention Col Pay. A comment elsewhere in this thread had me thinking of Judy and her various warbirds and that, in turn, reminded me of another female warbird owner, Carolyn Grace

Cheers

kaz

kaz

Yep David, thats the character building stuff we live for. I had a day like that spreading fert for 50 take-offs, and 50 landings. I was buggered by the end of it!! But loved it!! Rod.

Did you knock off at morning tea time?004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Could of finished at morning tea SP, but had to wait for the truck load of fert. Started at about 10am, finished at 2pm, howling north westerly, 42 degrees. Four hours of intense, rewarding, satisfying flying!! Thanks Dave for your kind words.