Powered Parachute?

Tomo

All this talk lately about a PPC has sparked me to look into it a bit....

What's involved in Training to fly them? Costs involved etc? Any instructors in the SE Qld area?

Also, I could easily build one myself... what is the requirements? Do they need to be certified designs? Etc...

Here's your chance to shine PPC drivers! Tell us what you know.... thanks :) 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Google it Tomo, you'll find the clubs.

The wind really seems to knock them around, and the more I studied them the more incidents I read about, a lot just getting tangled up on take off.

Some real spits on the forums

Tomo, you're active with all limbs attached and in working order, perhaps consider a powered paraglider, the wing packs up into a rucksack and the engine/propshroud /harness unit will fit into your ute - about as portable an aircraft as you'll ever see. You have access to conventional aircraft if you want to take a passenger along, keep this for that quick flip before work or to drag along on holiday. I flew one early days when the guys were experimenting, an absolute hoot. There are plans available for putting your own together or the new Yuneec electric model looks really interesting, if a little more exy. Geez I'll talk myself into it again at this rate, I've been eyeing the dunes on Moreton in any event.

http://www.skytribe.co.za/

http://www.kangook.com/

Check these out Tomo... and there are plenty of others available in Australia if you do a google search. I have been Paragliding once at Rainbow Beach and it was brilliant. A Paragliding license would cost about $2000... A PPG about $10k... add another $1000 to learn to fly the power version and you are away.

If I lived closer to Rainbow Beach I would definately be Paragliding... We have a great flying sight just inland here at Eungela but apparently its not for beginners.

Guest davidh10

I've seen one at Yarrawonga on a couple of occasions. Very slow and only seen in very calm conditions. I think that would limit the conditions you could fly in. You would be flying backwards in some of the winds I fly in.

The whole concept just does not do anything for me, but to each, their own.

Hi Tomo

From your profile you fly most things so a Powered Parachute should definately be added to your list. From my own personal experience the Aerochute is the best thing since sliced bread if you know what i mean. I too have flown many types and my only regret is that i didn't find out about the PPC world until only a couple of years ago. Graeme Hutchinson from the Hawkesbury Powered Parachute Centre is my Mentor and also a PE who can tell you where you can get training etc in your part of the world. www.poweredparachutecentre.com.au

Also you could talk to the team at Aerochute www.aerochute.com.au to find out who has a machine close to you.

But whatever you do get yourself close to a powered parachute as soon as you can. You will love the experience and the safety aspects of the machine.

Best Regards

Ed

Thanks everyone for the help! Awesome! 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Now all I need to do is check it all out...

That's what I reckon Ed, I suppose I'm more looking toward the Aerochute, rather than the powered back packs. But they look like fun Too!

Hi Tomo,hope to get a few to Inglewood this year, i'll take you for a fly.

That would be awesome! Hope to be there also.

Thanks everyone, certainly looks fun.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest extralite
That would be awesome! Hope to be there also.Thanks everyone, certainly looks fun.

I learnt with Poliglide who is based in Ballina. Never paraglided before (there is a straight through course though usually people come from a paragliding background) and it is very simple once you take off. Pull left go left, power up go up. Takeoff takes a bit to master though with strings everywhere. Beauty of it is being able to travel with an aircraft in the back. There is something really fun about launching off the ground using an engine and your feet. It is quite wind sensitive and most flying is done in the evenings or morning. I thought you hang glided tomo? Powered hang gliding I think is a bit easier.

• 1 month later...
Guest Toally87

Tomo, i'm flying paragliders here in toowoomba now, matt Fox is the instructor, top bloke too, gimme a buzz and come out flying one weekend mate

Dave

I reckon you would love Paragliding Tomo... I did a Tandem at Carlo Sandblow near Rainbow Beach.... it is an awesome way to fly. And it not at all an expensive segment of Recreational Flying... For less than the cost of an Ra-Aus Certificate for the whole kit and kaboodle....?

Guest Toally87

Gents, heres a video of an SIV course matt fox organised recently:

Thats me riding shotgun on the boat, we did it of leslie dam at warwick. lots of fun and learned alot.

Gents, heres a video of an SIV course matt fox organised recently:

Thanks for that Dave, looks like a lot of fun! Good O'l Leslie dam eh? Got me boat license down there a few years ago...

Guest Toally87

had a series of flights on the weekend,

3 saturday, longest of about 20mins and 1 nice 25 minute flight on sunday at Ma Ma creek

and a 12 minute flight at mt storey on monday night.

unforunatel y i didn't have free hands for photo's