natfly question

geoffreywh

I'm camping at Temora (not underwing as there's no room under there, probably "under nose" ) What about boiling the billy? I saw that the rules say no open fires. (thank goodness) Does a gas stove qualify?

Guest davidh10

Normally a restriction such as this, and if you look at fire ban days definitions, it includes gas stoves, BBQs and the like unless they are in a domestic situation (within so many metres of the house) and you have cleared all flammable items from around them and you have water on hand.

I'd suggest that if it is close to the aircraft, it is too close to flammable materials, including potentially refueling operations.

You'd be able to use an electric jug. Car accessory places have small water heaters that run from the cigarette lighter socket and are sufficient to heat a couple of cups of water at a time.

This is my guestimation.

Yes , Now that I have thought about it some more I'll be bringing the trusty thermos and leave the camping stove at home...Which wont create a problem as I am now cleared to 600Kgs!!!

Guest davidh10
have you seen the self boiling coffee's ,haven't tried one but they apparently work well,

Actually, Yes, and not bad at all.They don't actually boil, but do get hot enough. Like making it from a boiling water tap on a cafe bar.

A very novel idea to use an exothermic reaction to heat the drink. For situations where no heating is available and weight / space is a problem. like taking a picnic in a trike, not a bad idea. Thanks for reminding me.

Guest davidh10
are they classified as 'dangerous goods' for air transport??

I cannot imagine that they would be. The chemicals are solids and liquids, so cannot become airborne in terms of vapour or gas. They are not under pressure. Apart from ingestion, they are not hazardous and cannot create a fire.

Try taking a bag of ammonium nitrate on an airline... tell them it's to cool your beer (AN has an endothermic reaction with water and makes the water go cold).

PS 1st part was in jest - just to be clear I DO NOT recommend you try taking this material on an airline, it is also a favourite with jihadis but not to cool their beer. bomb.gif.8dfedc171d37efc22ba0dd32e933ffc0.gif

I used one of those kettles in the cigar lighter socket and got the impression that my vehicle wiring loom was being overloaded. Stopped using it through the cigar lighter socket and put two crocadile clips on it direct to the battery terminals, and am happy now. You have the disadvantage of having to open the bonnet but that is better than cremating the wiring loom. Nev

I got one of those kettles and used it on long trips when we had the landcruiser..seemed to take forever for the water to boil. we have downsized the car and I got the impression that the electrics were being overloaded as well...haven't even considered plugging into the planes socket.

Hi,

I have one of those 12volt jugs too, got an old pair of football soxs(washed) and cut them to fit around the jug it cuts the time to boil by about half and any spillage on the sox can be washed off.

Bob.