Wake turbulence

Tomo

Took the 172 into the Gold Coast airport today, sitting at the holding point awaiting take off clearance... and also aircraft on final, which was an Airbus 320. Was surprised at the wake turbulence that I noticed coming off it as it went past and into the flare.

Wasn't bad in anyway, but you could feel a slight wriggle of the aircraft. Was pretty interesting I thought. And obviously something to really consider when taking off too after large aircraft.

So it just made me think about it... has anyone ever had any hairy experiences encountering wake turbulence? Thought it would make for a good awareness subject, and interesting discussion. :big_grin:

I did mate when flying Tomahawks when I first Started learning, at Cooly back in the day which was only a couple of hours BTW it was enought for me to exit stage left.lol It was around 1987.Anyway hopefully things have changed since then, but I think that someone flying a lighty just gets in the way of Airline movements.At cooly.I wasnt happy being told that at eg 150 feet turn left or right etc after TO to get out of the way of a airliner etc.It would be much harder these days with the monkeys flying in on Air asia X and CO (Pilots i mean) etc. I flew their a few years later (mid nineties) when flying out of Archerfield.Still the same, a bunch of wankers.IMO

Its a shame living on the Gold Coast with a airport 20 minutes from my place.( apologise for any monkey reading this.)042_hide.gif.f5e8fb1d85d95ffa63d9b5a325bf422e.gif

Tomo, there's some good reading on a few ATSB accident reports where they go into a lot of detail. You need to be a loooong way back from a heavy jet. In one case, a Cessna 172 was completely rolled when the pilot thought he was well clear.

Guest davidh10

I started a thread on Trike Wake Turbulence quite some time back to relate my experience. I won't re-post, so follow the link to read about the encounter and ensuing discussion. Now, at about 170 hours logged, it is still the most significant upset that I have experienced... and I do fly on hot summer days with resulting turbulence.

Good thing that it has been brought up. Essentially the heavier and slower the preceding plane is flying, the more the effect. It can last longer on calmer days. A crosswind will take it away with it . Passing 5 miles behind would not be enough to guarantee safety. There's plenty been put out about it. If you are going to "mix it" with heavies get yourself informed. Nev

I didn't mind those low turns after take off Dazza..lots to look at on the beach at Kirra if you were low enough :peepwall:037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

That is true DD, its good to keep a look out for White pointers on the beach.lol

It`s not only the heavies you need to be aware of!

Way back when, I made the mistake in my Chinook WT 2, of getting too close behind and below a Thruster, right in it`s wake. Wasn`t a good experience at all!

Can be disastrous if too close to the ground!!!

Frank.

At any controlled AP there is a mandatory 3 or more minute separation between RPT & light aircraft to allow the wake turbulence to dissipate. Everything that flies creates it. Do a 2 minute 360 and you will fly back through your own.