A milestone (However small) and a question

Guest Jake.f

Good decision Jake, instructors like than one need to be castrated.

Go back as you say to the first one, he'll tell you what to do with the log book, and you'll have an enjoyable and safer training experience.

Guest davidh10

There's no reason you shouldn't purchase a log book now and enter both flights as "Dual Received" hours.

You are correct that the CFI should sign the book to verify the entries. I doubt there would be any question at the school where you flew the Foxbat. If you continue training there, he would just sign off each page, rather than individual entries.

I think it is worth a try to go back and ask the Jabiru CFI to sign the entry. It shouldn't be an issue.

After you get your Pilot Certificate, you will be signing the pages yourself.

I think you have made the right choice for the right primary reason ;-)

Guest davidh10
I didn't find it to bad, but after reading through threads last night and reading how people who have been flying for years still verbalize checks I was somewhat surprised (Granted this instructor was almost 80...). However if anyone was doing a TIF who was a slightly nervous flier they probably would not have felt to confident going up with someone who never really explained what he was doing.If I were to go back to the instructor I did a flight with today would he be able to just add this time to the book as well?

I might duck into the other flying school (Foxbat one) sometime after easter and see if I can purchase a logbook.

It is possible that the CFI did the checks while taxiing and you didn't notice. He may not have felt, for a TIF that explaining checks was very important, as some passengers would think they were paying for air time, not sitting around checking the aircraft.

I still think you have made the right decision.

You've done the flying and must log it. The book is supposed to be a record of your flying. As to certifying it I wouldn't be too worried. The bit of time there is unlikely to be a critical thing at any stage. You are entitled to have valid criticism of any flying you (observe/are involved in) and will make your own decisions? judgements as a result... ALL instructors should set a good example at ALL times of good airmanship. Nev

Thanks for the post Jake, saves me shopping around. I got the impression the CH Aviation Centre staff are rather thorough and fastidious, which, seeing as my backside will be on the line, are admirable and entirely desirable qualities!

Yes I took this flight due to shopping around (A bloody expensive shop around!). I was intending to be shopping around to see which aircraft I preferred, but that showed me both have their good and bad and would not mind learning in either. I really wasn't expecting to be so much difference in instructors though. I got the impression through the flight that the CFI was sitting there thinking "Thanks Christ I get paid for this".I agree with you on the staff at CHAC, have you done your TIF there yet? No doubt you had the same good experience as I did!

My thought is that I need to get the best teaching, and then I can get certified on other aircraft later.

Is the logbook available on this site basically what you would get anywhere else?

yes. it seems to be the ATC logbook which is what everyone I know has.

(there is a cheapo logbook I bought from RAA but have never used.)

I also like the D-H BAK (with HPL). my instructor's copy was pretty good.

My thought is that I need to get the best teaching, and then I can get certified on other aircraft later.

Very good advice.

The quality of the instructor is very important to your overall development as a professional* pilot.

*by professional, I mean your attitude and approach to your flying is always of the highest standard, regardless whether you are getting paid for it or not.

Guest Jake.f

Exactly.

I would rely more on my feet (rudders) to lift wings at that low speed but he seems to have landed well. Best landings I do is when I do less. Just keep it straight and it knows how to land, and don't wave the stick about. In the flair he seemed to pump it but not sure what was happening as the nose didn't oscilate.

Whoa! That guy was really going at it!

There's no need for movements like that during the hold off - maybe a little bit left and right here and there to keep the wings level from the gusts, but a slow and steady rearward motion is all that is needed. If you find that you may have ballooned slightly (not a big balloon - that requires a different approach), freeze your rearward motion and wait for the aircraft to resume it's sink. Remember, for normal landings you are trying to make the aircraft fly straight and level just above the runway for as long as you can. Eventually the angle of attack/drag increases as speed decreases and the aircraft will eventually settle on to the runway itself. "Pumping the stick" as my instructor calls it can lead to bad outcomes.

Whenever I see pilots 'pumping' on elevators, or 'pedalling' from full L to full R on rudders - it tells me that they have not yet developed any feel for these controls. By manipulating the controls this way, they are in effect saying 'If I keep doing this, I'm sure to eventually find the right position!' Of course, they probably won't - because they are not correlating the effect of the controls with the input - before reversing the direction. Instructors should watch for this, because the pilot is inevitably going to arrive on the nosewheel, or pointing into the x-wind.

happy days,